Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Faint straight lines left by lightpost beams
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
IP: Logged

File: lighting_squares.jpg (59.6 KB)
Downloaded 176 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Faint straight lines left by lightpost beams (+1)  
Here's an incredibly minor visual bug. Can confirm its also in the last stable version, so nothing to do with 5.1.1 changes.

Thin lightpost beams leave behind faint straight lines on the edges of grid squares they cross over. They are so faint they are not really noticeable on any sort of surface that is visually complex, which is almost everything.

On the zoomed in picture below, you can see it on the tables.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 11-16-2020 10:56 PM]
11-16-2020 at 10:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Faint straight lines left by lightpost beams (0)  
@mrimer Could you investigate this?

11-16-2020 at 11:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056

File: lights on tables.jpg (65.4 KB)
Downloaded 137 times.
License: Public Domain
Sure!

Fascinating!

It looks like you also have wall lights on the tables. I'm guessing that's just to make the visual artifact easier to see, and removing the wall lights has no effect on the artifact's presence, correct?

I'm not seeing this artifact in my current dev build of RPG. May I ask you to check whether you see this issue in current or earlier RPG builds? (Crossing my fingers that my latest light rendering improvements magically made this issue go away, so when I migrate the fix to 5.1.1, it will go away there as well.)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-17-2020 09:19 AM]
11-17-2020 at 09:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Actually, I can see the artifact in RPG too if I turn up the wall lights.

This is an algorithmic artifact that has to do with the wall lights being added on top of the lamp light. Specifically (if I'm remembering correctly):

A blurring effect (see CRoomWidget::LowPassLightFilter) is applied to tiles where lamp light partially shines (i.e., there's also some cast shadowing on the tile) to make the shadow edges soft and smooth.

The issue appears to be that a bit of "darker light" along the edges of the partially lit tiles is being included as part of the blending with adjacent dark tiles. Then the wall light is added on top of this. Now the edge blending becomes more pronounced.

...(going off to confirm)...

Huh...actually, my recollection was close but not quite right. Blending with other tiles isn't applied on tile edges if there is no partial lamp lighting off that edge of the tile.

And...there is actually a calculation error in the blending algorithm, causing tiles edges to become darker than they should be. I can fix this easily now that I'm aware of it (in 5.1.1 and RPG 1.2.8).

11-17-2020 at 10:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
PR

11-17-2020 at 11:05 PM
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: Faint straight lines left by lightpost beams (+1)  
Can confirm fixed in 5.1.1.371
12-15-2020 at 08:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Faint straight lines left by lightpost beams
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com