Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : _MonsterHPMult variable doesn't work if you've played the hold before
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
IP: Logged

File: BUG REPORTMonsterMult.drh (1.2 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
License: Public Domain
icon _MonsterHPMult variable doesn't work if you've played the hold before (+2)  
The game has a built-in _MonsterHPMult variable that will change what HP monsters initialise with (once you visit the room and the monster initialises, changing this won't matter any more for that monster). Unfortunately, this variable seems to have problems with pre-revealed rooms from previous saves.

To demonstrate the issue, play the attached example hold in the editor. Move from the entrance to 1E, and the variable will be set to x20. Move to 2E, and the Rock Giant should have 16,000 HP.

Now go out of the editor and play this hold in a standard game. Repeat the above process, Rock Giant will again have 16,000 HP.

Now press Esc and start another New Game. The rooms will be pre-revealed on your mini-map. Walk to 2E, the Rock Giant now only has 800 HP.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 11-07-2020 06:29 PM]
11-07-2020 at 05:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1062
icon Re: _MonsterMult variables don't work if you've played the hold before (+1)  
Other than the Monster HP modifier, all modifiers should be applied dynamically. Can you check that the non-HP modifiers don't work in this situation?

The HP modifier not working with pre-revealed rooms is definitely a bug, however.

11-07-2020 at 06:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
icon Re: _MonsterMult variables don't work if you've played the hold before (+1)  
hyperme wrote:
Other than the Monster HP modifier, all modifiers should be applied dynamically. Can you check that the non-HP modifiers don't work in this situation?
You're right, I had only tested the HP one and had assumed they all worked the same way, they do not.

The issue in this bug report only applies to the HP modifier. This also means these variables are more useful than I thought.

I have edited the initial post to strip out mention of the other variables.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 11-07-2020 06:29 PM]
11-07-2020 at 06:28 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: _MonsterHPMult variable doesn't work if you've played the hold before (0)  
kieranmillar wrote:
The game has a built-in _MonsterHPMult variable that will change what HP monsters initialise with (once you visit the room and the monster initialises, changing this won't matter any more for that monster). Unfortunately, this variable seems to have problems with pre-revealed rooms from previous saves.
Thanks for the demo hold. Helpful!

Yes, I get what you're saying. Agree this is a bug. A room should only finalize its initial information when it becomes explored (either by actually visiting it, or via script command to mark the room explored, or via the new detailed map game element that marks all non-secret rooms explored).

I'll look into how best to fix this.

(There is an additional information issue here, but I think it's understandable and can't think of a way to improve it. Viewing the combat summary pop-up on a previously explored room will show the current monster stats, which may later change via altering of _Monster*Mult vars before the room is explored.)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-10-2020 at 12:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: _MonsterHPMult variable doesn't work if you've played the hold before (0)  
Easy and straightforward fix.

PR

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-10-2020 at 12:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
icon Re: _MonsterHPMult variable doesn't work if you've played the hold before (+1)  
Can confirm fixed in 1.2.8.alpha.2020-11-10
11-10-2020 at 10:03 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : _MonsterHPMult variable doesn't work if you've played the hold before
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com