Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Level 8 Remake (I'm not crazy...am I?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged

File: Eighth Level Remake v3.hold (7.8 KB)
Downloaded 123 times.
License: Other
icon Level 8 Remake (+3)  
Ever since DROD:AE was released, people have been showing love to most of the earlier levels and given them a makeover, but level eight has sat alone, as no one would turn it into a different place. However, the tar mothers knew that one day, some wild, crazed lunatic would go all-out evil and turn this already difficult level into a full out slashfesting madness.

That time is now.

After fiddling in the editor for a bit, I have created a remake of the imfamous tar level. Right now, I have just completed the puzzle and have started to give it the "falling apart" feel, but I need to see if all of the puzzles are koscher. They should all be solvable, but odds are, at least one isn't.

Anyways, have fun, and I hope you are able to enjoy this hold in spite of all the difficulty it may bring you.

Edit: V2 is now Anyone-Edit, along with a couple of fix-ups to make it a bit less tedious.

Edit: V3 was just released, with fixes for most puzzles. They should all be solvable now.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:12-04-2004 at 10:54 PM]

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:12-05-2004 at 03:38 PM]

12-04-2004 at 06:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Level 8 Remake (0)  
I've taken a quick look at the hold, and from what I've seen, it's mostly decent.

Click here to view the secret text

So, it's a nice remake, if not exactly as original or different to KDD L8 (so far). I don't have much time to test at the moment, however, so could you release an Anyone-Edit version for easier testing?

12-04-2004 at 08:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: Level 8 Remake (+1)  
agaricus5 wrote:
I've taken a quick look at the hold, and from what I've seen, it's mostly decent.
Wow. A positive comment from a L8 clone hold. I never thought that I'd see the day...

So, it's a nice remake, if not exactly as original or different to KDD L8 (so far). I don't have much time to test at the moment, however, so could you release an Anyone-Edit version for easier testing?
Done. Enjoy!

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:12-04-2004 at 11:10 PM: I'm having no luck with tags today...]

12-04-2004 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
[
Thanks for the Anyone-Edit - it makes it much easier to test.

2S is definitely impossible. The path along the top-right of the room is a 2 square-wide corridor, which (with blue tar) is impassable. Also, there is another 2 square wide corridor on the south part of the room, in the middle.

As for 1S, why not add a green door and orb that triggers the doors on a new side passage?

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:12-05-2004 at 01:19 AM]

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:12-05-2004 at 01:19 AM]

12-04-2004 at 11:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: Level 8 Remake (+1)  
Alright, I've played through the hold (first version), and here's my comments and bugreport:

2S: Eeww, hidden walls all over the place... Impossible room, see Wesley's comments for explanation.

1S: Nice puzzle, but as you said, 2S becomes inaccessible if you complete this room and head north.

3N: What was the mimic potion for? I solved it by

3N1W: Easier than the original, but nonetheless a nice room

2N2W: Definitely more difficult than the original, but it's unfortunately impossible to complete. There are three tar babies trapped in the SW corner.

2N3W: Very nice puzzle with the goblin, but what was the mimic potion for?

3N3W: You cannot return from the north.

4N2W: Fortunately it is quite difficult to make any errors while cutting the tar.

I'd say that the remake is easier than the original, but then again, I haven't played the Eighth Level for a looong time, so I may not remember quite how it was. Overall this remake is very fun and relaxing. Keep up the good work :thumbsup

12-05-2004 at 12:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
There. All problems fixed. However, I can't add a orb behind a green door as it would create a cheap way of completing the room. You could, with it in place, place the mimic near the doors while you kill the tar mother and lure the tar babies near the mimic, defeating the challenge of the room. I did, however, state clearly that 2S will be impassible if not done directly after. That's the best I can do.

12-05-2004 at 03:41 PM
agaricus5
agaricus5 wrote:
As for 1S, why not add a green door and orb that triggers the doors on a new side passage?

Wouldn't this solve the problem with 1S and 2S?

12-05-2004 at 03:44 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Level 8 Remake (I'm not crazy...am I?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com