Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : More Image Overlay Bugs (Undo, Dialogs, Rotate)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Lucky Luc
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1215
IP: Logged

File: Lucs Image Overlay Bugs.hold (3.6 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
License: Public Domain
icon More Image Overlay Bugs (+3)  
Okay, so here are three more visual bugs with Image Overlay commands, reported in the 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-18:

- If you have an infinitely looping image overlay command that runs every turn, when you undo, this command seems to be executed twice. This seems to be exclusive to infinite loops and doesn't occur if a second infinite loop command is executed on the same turn for some reason. Executing a non-infinite command doesn't help.

- If your overlay has "moving parts" (i.e. Move, MoveTo, FadeToAlpha, Grow, Rotate, possibly more?), opening either the speech log or the chat history dialog, waiting a couple of seconds and closing it again makes the overlay do funny things. Best guess: Image overlays aren't updated while these dialogs are open and the huge delta time leads to funny results. Note that this doesn't happen for the current game info dialog, so I think this might be an easy fix?

- Finally, using rotate currently "fills in the corners". This might be intended, but it doesn't feel right to me.

Sample hold attached.
10-18-2020 at 11:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: More Image Overlay Bugs (+3)  
Got a PR.

1. Fixed, that was an amusing code oversight.
2. Speech log will now pause effects and speech and resume them when closed. It'll also work correctly with losing/regaining focus. Same for chat history. Other dialogs will play the game underneath as normal.
3. The reason it happens is because you've used a PNG without transparency (or JPG). It's technically a bug but I couldn't find a way to fix it easily so I say it's just going to stay that way. If you want rotated graphics to not fill the corners use PNGs with alpha channel

10-28-2020 at 08:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: More Image Overlay Bugs (+1)  
Testing in 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-29:

1) Fixed
2) Fixed. Speech log and making the window lose focus causes the effects to freeze and then resume sensibly afterwards.
3) I cannot see any problem on my machine in the last stable version or the latest alpha, so cannot confirm what's meant to be happening here.
10-31-2020 at 08:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
icon Re: More Image Overlay Bugs (0)  
The bug in #3 is that the graphic is square (rectangle) so when it rotates it should be a rotated rectangle of the same size. Instead it looks as if someone rotated it, then selected a rectangle parallel to X,Y axes and filled the remaining space with the color.

Imagine rotating something in photoshop, cropping it and then filling the transparent with a color. The triangles in the corners should remain transparent they don't, I could explain it trivially with an image but I am lazy.

10-31-2020 at 09:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: More Image Overlay Bugs (0)  
OK well I don't see that bug on my machine in either the last stable version or the latest alpha.

I see a green arrow rotating in the opposite direction it is pointing, and behind it is a purple square that its resizing big and small very quickly. There is no rotating square.
10-31-2020 at 09:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell

File: OKAY FINE I MADE A PICTURE.png (244.6 KB)
Downloaded 81 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: More Image Overlay Bugs (+1)  
Click here to view the secret text

Explanation above ^

This is kind of accepted - it might be changed in the future so don't depend on this behavior.

10-31-2020 at 09:39 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : More Image Overlay Bugs (Undo, Dialogs, Rotate)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com