Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Funky Grapple (quirky gameplay-focused RPG with grappling hook)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 887
IP: Logged

File: Funky Grapple.drh (11.8 KB)
Downloaded 8 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Funky Grapple (+4)  
So, a few times now I've alluded to or mentioned a "bigger project" for RPG that's been in the works for a while. And this is it!

Funky Grapple (with a single level entitled "Grapple Adventure") is based on a few core ideas, namely:
-One level with four distinct sections ("Tiers") which are each internally fully explorable with no roadblocks, with one-way passages after the boss of each tier going up to the next;
-The player permanently has a grappling hook and the room puzzles and overall design is based heavily on that;
-In each tier the player may choose to pick up either a sword or a shield, but equipment does not affect the player's score.

There is a scorepoint at the end of each tier (which the player is forced to lose equipment prior to, but can reclaim the equipment afterward), as well as challenge scorepoints at the very end for picking up all of the swords or all of the shields, and one final scorepoint equal to the player's REP at the end of the hold to provide further variety (and a reason to care about REP/Greckles as there is no way to spend them in this hold).

Many widgets and prizes are specially designed to only be available to a player who either does or does not have a sword, and there are some clever tricks to abuse this, but it is possible to complete the entire thing without doing any of those tricks (which I collectively call "theft"). Each tier also has a very small number of keys and doors leading to big prize caches in the room with the boss; this is the only use of keys in the hold.

The level name and intro text are references to glitches in Ocarina of Time (namely Bottle Adventure, which turns your sword into a bottle, and a Ocarina Items, which lets a player use any item as an "ocarina").

The majority of this was built in a fairly contiguous run, with lots of testing in between. However, most of the 4th and final tier was completed within the past couple of days, so it's possible that I did a rather poorer job of balancing it than the rest of the hold.

Anyway, please give it a try and let me know what you think.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 06-25-2020 07:32 PM]
06-24-2020 at 11:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 256
icon Re: Funky Grapple (+1)  
The hold so far is really awesome! However, there are two things I would suggest for convenience from the player's perspective:

A) The Floating Eyeballs currently look like actual Evil Eyes; I would suggest like all the other custom monsters you added to give them a custom colorization in order to make it obvious they are much worse than a regular evil eye.

B) It is not obvious that the hot tiles do 100 damage flat, so the player will most likely be taken for surprise the first time they encounter one in Tier 3.

In addition, I feel that the transition in terms of difficulty is a little off, as Tiers 3 and 4 have much tougher monsters than Tier 2 did compared to Tier 1. I would suggest using a few of the tougher monsters from Tier 2 in Tier 3, and a few of the tougher monsters from Tier 3 in Tier 4. :)

06-25-2020 at 01:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
icon Re: Funky Grapple (+2)  
A) Good idea, will do; I guess I thought the fact that they can exist over pits/water would make it obvious enough they weren't regular eyes. EDIT: It appears that I tried to give them a darker color but it didn't work??? Mycolor = 505050 (which is what they had) looks no different from 999999 to me. But lower values will make a difference.
B) The informatic scrolls in the Entrance clearly state that hot tiles do 100 damage. I think it's quite reasonable to expect the player to read and remember that information.

Prize value doubles each tier, so 3/4 having tougher monsters to balance that makes perfect sense. Adding stronger monsters to the earlier tiers would make it more difficult or impossible to pull off some intended tricks, I suspect.
EDIT: That sentence was based on a misreading of your post. To correct that: I found that under fairly reasonable conditions, most of the "toughest" monsters from the current tier tend to be completely trivial by the time I'm done collecting things from it, so putting them in the next tier would be like making whatever's behind them almost free. The intended balance is that almost nothing in a new tier should be entirely free, even to a player using all possible tricks to maximize their stats at its start. But either way, I'll await more feedback before completely restructuring the monster placement, I think.

EDIT/UPDATE:
Aesthetic change only: The Flyin' Eyeballs are distinctly blue now so they're very obviously custom monsters.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 06-25-2020 04:17 PM]
06-25-2020 at 04:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
I think the Evil Eye character template has very subtle/less noticeable changes when you go lighter compared to the other ones, because of the fact the template is (mostly) already a blend of the RGB colors (mostly white with a few blue). Thank you for the change, however! :)

06-25-2020 at 04:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Meta
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
Nice hold! I have tried both the swords route and the shields route. It seems that there are significantly more resources in the swords route, which makes it far easier than the shields route. Below are my scores.

All Swords Scorepoint
---------------------
HP: 12818
ATK: 377
DEF: 271
Keys: 0/0/0/0
Score = 3018

All Shields Scorepoint
----------------------
HP: 2797
ATK: 323
DEF: 192
Keys: 0/1/0/0
Score = 2280

Some comments
-------------
4N1W: The DEF gem can be picked up without fighting any monster.
6N, 10N: It is possible to fight the Grappler 2,3 and then do some other things, such as picking up wooden shield and taking it to next tier.
12N: The gems can be accessed diagonally.
14N1E: Only 4 mirrors are needed.
15N1W: All gems can be obtained.
15N: I do not see the use of the yellow door and green door below the bombs.

06-25-2020 at 07:07 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Xindaris
Thanks for taking a look, Meta! I'm not very surprised that the sword is easier than the shield, but I think there are still a few challenges if you choose that route. The biggest problem with trying to add resources for the shield route is the risk that any of them could potentially be "stolen" by a sword player too. Also, seems you've found a couple of leaks and other errors. More specifically:

That in mind--
UPDATE: Various corrections in response to the issues Meta pointed out.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 06-25-2020 07:38 PM]
06-25-2020 at 07:32 PM
azb
Out of curiosity, did you use a custom Really Big Sword with a Hook ATK value to keep up with the Legend of Zelda theme? It's not an issue or anything for me, though, since like with the hot tiles I can see there is a scroll clearly explaining what it does.

06-25-2020 at 08:24 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 1797
icon Re: Funky Grapple (+2)  
quote:
Xindaris wrote: EDIT: It appears that I tried to give them a darker color but it didn't work??? Mycolor = 505050 (which is what they had) looks no different from 999999 to me. But lower values will make a difference.

To explain this, here's what the help file says about _MyColor:
quote:
_MyColor - a six-digit number, where each two-digit pair defines the amount of R/G/B color offset to the NPC's image. A value of 50 is normal. Lower values (0-49) remove a proportionate amount of that color. Greater values (51-99) enhance that color.

So 505050 means no change. Numbers below 50 will make it darker, and numbers above 50 will make it lighter. As the eyes are already mostly white, making it lighter has little noticeable effect.
06-25-2020 at 08:55 PM
Xindaris
I'm pretty sure I was (for some reason) under the impression that the hook had some special gameplay behavior that "normal" swords wouldn't. Well, since I've already made the custom sword I may as well leave it in.

I guess I thought 999999 was "normal color" and everything else was darker, but that makes a bit more sense, thanks.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 06-25-2020 10:03 PM]
06-25-2020 at 10:03 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Funky Grapple (quirky gameplay-focused RPG with grappling hook)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com