Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Accessory Training Facility
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Meta
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 106
IP: Logged

File: Accessory Training Facility v3.1.drh (4.5 KB)
Downloaded 32 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Accessory Training Facility (+5)  
This is a hold exploring accessory uses. There are five score points in total, together with some additional challenges. The hold has some optimization focus (it can be conquered in less than 1 minute though). All letter grades are achievable. Comments are welcomed.

---

Changelog

## v3.1
* Change two scrolls.

## v3
* Add a REP shop and a green door at the end.
* Other aesthetic changes.

## v2
* Remove the north-facing arrow at the entrance.
* Add a tunnel from a secret room to the exit.
* Other aesthetic changes.

[Last edited by Meta at 07-21-2020 06:33 PM]
01-13-2020 at 07:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
greenscience
Rank Points: 141
icon Re: Accessory Training Facility (+4)  
Reached all five score points including the A grade. I liked how most accessories have a precise use in gaining just enough greckles to optimize score, with the possible exception of the VIP card and flippers. Unless I missed something those two are not necessary for optimization. The VIP card is nice for scouting ahead and letting you backtrack to bring another accessory to the exit but I could just bring that accessory with me in the first place. The only difference it makes is a bit of rep.

It looks like the flippers are meant for you to reach the pressure plate in 1W in conjunction with pickaxe as an alternative to using wall walking. However every other place where wall walking would be used could be handled using pickaxe or grappling hook so I just used wall walking in 1W. One way to force a use for wall walking would be to remove the walls right above and below the exit in 8E, although that breaks symmetry.

Accessory slots should be spaced out more as right now taking an accessory from the inventory or between rooms involves extra shuffling back and forth as you are forced to drop the accessory on adjacent slots. There is enough room in the entrance to spread out the accessories a bit so there is empty floor next to all slots. For room boundaries it would be helpful to have extra space for transitioning between rooms without stepping on a slot, but I am not sure whether that affects other constraints you have in mind.

The name of the Pass Through Yellow Doors scorepoint should be shortened since right now the word Doors is cut off. Maybe remove one of the words Pass or Through. Also it would be helpful to have a scroll for the Incomplete scorepoint like the others. Right now a player would only know it exists by randomly stumbling across it or looking in the editor after conquering. Speaking of which I believe it is customary to make the hold editable by anyone during the architecture phase, although simply conquering is easy enough that it makes little difference.
01-14-2020 at 03:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2668
icon Re: Accessory Training Facility (+4)  
I recorded my first look at this hold.

I almost got there. One score off of A rank!

I think this hold is very different and a cool puzzle and you should submit it to the HAs.
06-22-2020 at 01:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Meta
Rank Points: 106

File: Accessory Training Facility v2.drh (3.7 KB)
Downloaded 26 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Accessory Training Facility (+3)  
greenscience: Thanks for the suggestions. You are right that VIP card and flipper are not needed to obtain highest scores in v2. In the revision v3, I added a REP shop at the end, hence VIP card will also play a role. Most of your suggestions have been taken.

kieranmillar: Thanks for sharing your playthrough. When I designed this hold, I wanted it to be a journey of discoveries. Your playthrough showed exactly what I anticipate the potential players to experience. In order to get 147, you only miss one trick, which involves the invisibility potion, as you had suspected.

I have updated the hold v3. The only non-aesthetic change is a REP shop and a green door at the end. The intended highest score for v2 is 147, and the intended highest score for v3 is 148.

I have submitted v3 to HAs. I leave v2 as the attachment here, just in case someone wants to try it.
06-24-2020 at 11:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2668
icon Re: Accessory Training Facility (+2)  
Hi Meta, you've turned off accepting PMs, so I'll just post in here directly.

If you've not looked at the HA chat for this hold, it's been ready to promote for a while, but you mentioned you wanted to make a tiny change to scroll text first. Feel free to make the change and we can move closer to promoting this.
07-20-2020 at 09:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Accessory Training Facility
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com