Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Any way to move newer holds to AE?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
JustSomeDude
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
IP: Logged
icon Any way to move newer holds to AE? (+2)  
Hey, good people of the Caravel forums!

I've been getting many of my friends into this series recently. They all seem to be enjoying it. Earlier today, I had the idea of making a hold and having my friends race each other through it. Here's the issue though: I have every installment of DROD except for AE given how I use a Mac (I've tried Wineskinning the game. I can get as far as the install screen but anything after that is a no-go as far as I can see), and all my friends have only AE. I had a friend try to test a hold I made in KDD to see if it would work at all but he ran into the blank error screen on import that I've seen someone mention in another post.

I don't expect there to be any, but is there any way I could have a newer hold successfully import into AE? If not, could I get help successfully Wineskinning AE myself?

Thank you!

To ensure our legacy surely will stay.
11-02-2019 at 04:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: Any way to move newer holds to AE? (+3)  
Each Drod game is fully backwards compatible with holds made in earlier games but it wont work the other way around.

AE only supports holds made in AE.
JtRH can import holds made in JtRH and AE.
TCB can import holds made in TCB, JtRH and AE.
And so on...

However, the demo version of each engine has 100% support for playing user made holds! The only limitation is that all of the room styles will display as the single style the demo includes, which I believe is Foundation for JtRH and City for the later engines.

So get your friends to download the free demo of the game you made your hold in and I believe they should be able to play it through that.
11-02-2019 at 06:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
JustSomeDude
Rank Points: 32
icon Re: Any way to move newer holds to AE? (+1)  
Oh, wow! It's been so long since I've played any demo version. I forgot they could still play user holds. Thank you!

To ensure our legacy surely will stay.
11-02-2019 at 02:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
JamesBond007
Rank Points: 43
icon Re: Any way to move newer holds to AE? (0)  
Once I tried something similar - recreating King Dugan's Dungeon 2.0 in Architects' Edition. Although this seems to be possible with some of the new rooms, unfortunately not all of them can be recreated (at least not in the intended form), because they contain elements not supported by AE (like orthosquares or already placed mimics). Also, unlike newer versions, AE seems to count two yellow doors placed on adjacent diagonal squares as the same object.
02-17-2020 at 07:26 AM
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
icon Re: Any way to move newer holds to AE? (0)  
To be honest - I have a feeling that it would be doable backwards, but it would require too much work. DROD is very mod-friendly, but it's just not worth the hassle. Enjoy it for what it is friend. But then again I have a feeling that there would be a team dedicated to recreate Journey to the Rooted Hold in Original Drod aesthetics:no

[Last edited by Illusionist at 09-21-2020 12:46 PM]
09-19-2020 at 07:10 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
icon Re: Any way to move newer holds to AE? (+2)  
The problem with trying to port newer holds backwards is simply that newer versions include game elements that older versions didn't, so you'd have to cut out or rework any rooms using those elements. If we're talking about JtRH to AE, that means all rooms using Halph or the Slayer, which is a huge part of what gives JtRH its unique flavour.

However, if you just want to play newer holds with AE aesthetics, there is a way do to that in the 5.0 engine. All the AE styles have been remade for 5.0, so if you have editor access to a hold, you can change the levels to use these styles. (Ctrl-click on a room style in the editor to change all rooms in a level at once.) This requires editor access so it won't help for the JtRH hold itself, though.

09-19-2020 at 07:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
icon Re: Any way to move newer holds to AE? (+2)  
Still, the general vibe of most AE styles can be done with 5.0 styles.

Catacombs = Greenhouse or BlueBricks (mod)
Cavern/Cliffs = Foundation
Ice = Iceworks
Lava = Caldera
Palace = Badlands
Sanctum = Fortress
Voids = Deep Spaces or Swamp

The only style you can't really do is Slime, but that garish purple floor with bright red walls can stay in the past.

09-20-2020 at 12:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Any way to move newer holds to AE?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com