Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Unchained Malady (Off to HA)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dying Flutchman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
IP: Logged

File: Unchained Malady.hold (121.3 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Unchained Malady (0)  
There you go,

I'd like to get this to HA in about three weeks. But no worries. If anyone needs more time, that's OK.

I've made some changes to my entry already.

If you want to make changes to your entry, or would like your entry removed, please respond here.

Tnx!

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 10-15-2019 02:55 PM]
09-23-2019 at 08:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: Unchained Malady (0)  
I think someone mentioned I should add a speed potion to my entry. This would make the manipulation easier without really changing the actual puzzle, but it could be argued that learning the gentryii moves is specifically the point of the contest. I'm mixed on this.

I probably won't change anything unless other people really think a speed potion would have improved their experience with my level.

09-23-2019 at 09:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dying Flutchman
Overview of my changes:

I have simplified some rooms a bit, and switched 1E and 3E. This should make for a better difficulty curve.

Also, mauve found an unentended solution that I like better in the last room, so forced that solution.

I tried to build an easy set of rooms, suitable for a beginner. But from Chaco's comments, I get the impression that the rooms that I think are easiest, are actually most difficult (for Chaco, that is).

My gut feeling is that Chaco was getting the lynch pin for those harder rooms directly, and that the fiddly-ness of the earlier rooms was not to his liking.

Well, I ameliorated the fiddling a bit and I still think the lynch pins are definitely hard for not-so-super-skilled players.

But what do you think of the difficulty right now?

Would like to hear your opinion.

09-23-2019 at 02:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dying Flutchman
mauvebutterfly wrote:
I think someone mentioned I should add a speed potion to my entry. This would make the manipulation easier without really changing the actual puzzle, but it could be argued that learning the gentryii moves is specifically the point of the contest. I'm mixed on this.

I probably won't change anything unless other people really think a speed potion would have improved their experience with my level.

Hi mauve,

I don't think a speed potion would help. The manipulation was not difficult, but rather a bit tedious, because it involves three gentryii, that must be brought into position. And you lose one platform each time a gentryii has been placed.

It shouldn't really be a problem. However, my solution was definitely not as simple as yours, which meant a lot more shuffling around.

Perhaps it would be possible to include one or two 2-tile platforms, just to make shuffling around the heads a bit easier?

Or perhaps the lower-right section where the heads are delivered could be made more consise? Because that part is now also a bit tedious, although it doesn't really add that much to the puzzle. Just a 'head dispenser' with three heads behind yellow doors would suit me fine, I guess.

09-23-2019 at 02:28 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2383

File: disoriented - Unchained Malady.hold (50.6 KB)
Downloaded 38 times.
Here is a minor update to my entry.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
09-26-2019 at 08:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Including 2-tile platforms would allow you to use platforms to block other platforms.

After thinking about it I've decided not to make any changes to my entry, so please just use the version from the contest.

09-26-2019 at 10:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dying Flutchman
Any other chances requested? I'll give it another week or so and then I'll send it off to HA with diso's new version and no other chances.

10-01-2019 at 11:31 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
I have an update, I'm just trying to stamp out an US without changing things too much :/

10-02-2019 at 01:57 AM
Dying Flutchman
Ok, will wait for Rabscuttle to scuttle his rabs.

10-02-2019 at 03:27 PM
Rabscuttle

File: Infiltration of Esterport Fort.hold (9.4 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
icon Re: Unchained Malady (+1)  
Changes:

* Fixed some typos in the level intro and raft guy's speech
* 1E: puff section modified. Also changed some central walls to water so there's less waiting around for puffs
* 3E: Gentryii now move before the adders.
* 4E: Changed rafts to platforms to prevent possibility of reusing weapons. Firetraps and pressure plates now have the same order.
* 1S1E: Changed brain passage configuration to make it more thematic with the rest of the level. Added some fancy scripting. Added silly room title.
* 1S2E: Minor scripting change.

1E is the room I wouldn't mind people trying to break. I think I've made the wubbas suitably unattractive, but they are pretty adorable.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 10-09-2019 04:25 AM]
10-09-2019 at 03:35 AM
mauvebutterfly

File: IoEF Esterport Fort 1E Victory.demo (3.6 KB)
Downloaded 40 times.
I played around with 1E a bit and had to actually use the gentryii this time. You've fixed the ways I broke it last time, at least. I couldn't find what felt like an unintended solution this time.

10-09-2019 at 04:46 AM
Dying Flutchman
I'll wait for a Skype of days for other testers or possibly further fixes.

Will send this to HA after the weekend, if no-one objects.

10-09-2019 at 07:31 AM
Dying Flutchman
Aaaaaand....

It's gone.

To HA, that is.

10-15-2019 at 02:56 PM
Rabscuttle

File: Infiltration of Esterport Fort challenge.hold (9.5 KB)
Downloaded 37 times.
I think I forgot to add an easyish challenge to IOEF: 2E
I might have added a character but not actually done the scripting.

If you feel like it and it's not too late, can you ctrl-shift-b the character's script to the following:

Click here to view the secret text

and add a scroll 2 south of the staff that just says
Challenge: Don't use the staff

or just copy from attachment, I guess.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 10-26-2019 06:35 AM]
10-26-2019 at 06:23 AM
Dying Flutchman
Challenge added. Hope the HAs won't be mad at me now :)

10-26-2019 at 08:43 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Unchained Malady (Off to HA)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com