Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Unchained Malady (Our contest for July/August)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dying Flutchman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
IP: Logged
icon Unchained Malady (+4)  
Dear DROD folk. Some of you know that I have a weak spot for gentryii. Not that I’m particularly good with them, but I do believe that they deserve better than being abused in chain-straightening puzzles or to act as mindless widgets or enforcements.

In fact, all complaints about gentryii seem to focus on their (admittedly arcane) chain dynamics. So here goes: this contest is about gentryii without a chain a.k.a. lone heads a.k.a. solitary bitey bitey mouths.

Chainless gentryii are hardly ever used and that’s a shame. I have a couple of puzzle ideas myself, but I could imagine that you’ll manage to build some quite intriguing puzzles revolving around them. A couple of example uses might include:
1. G heads hold down plates like mirrors, but they can move as well;
2. G heads can attack like a roach horde, but they won’t die;
3. G heads can move and wait on floor spikes, fire traps and hot tiles, which other monsters can’t traverse;
4. G heads can hunt you down and force you to be speedy.

But in the end, gentryii don’t need to be killed to finish the room, giving a particular flavor of architectural freedom that other monsters don’t have.

The rules
I’ve written down a couple of rules. Think of them as suggestions and feel free to break them as you see fit. I don’t want to chain (see what I did there?) your creativity.

1. Make one or more rooms where gentryii heads (no chains) are the stars of the show.
2. Of course, you can use chained gentryii and other monsters as well. But try to focus on solitary heads for the main room theme.
3. You can go any thematic direction you like. Are you a sucker for horde rooms? Go build them!
Always craving for linchpins? Go build them!
Can’t get enough of those plate shuffling brain wreckers? Go build them!
I am just really curious whatever stuff you can come up with.
4. A good number of puzzle rooms for your contest entry might be somewhere from half a dozen to a dozen. I would not recommend building larger levels. But its OK if you build just want to build one or two rooms. I’d rather have a few outstanding rooms than many similar or boring rooms.
5. If you build just one or two rooms, there is no need to include stairs. I’ll put those rooms in the compilation hub.
If you build a level, please provide two stairs. The first stairs can be used to go back to the hub without finishing the level. The second stairs can be used to end the level (behind blue doors, probably). These stairs will also go back to the hub and allow you to finish a small widget to ‘mark’ your level as completed in the hub.
Please make sure that the player can always return to the first hub stairs regardless of level conquer status.

Submission
I will open a submission topic for your convenience. Magic will happen and only I will see your entries. This will ensure your anonimity :wolverine

I will be on vacation for some weeks and I guess many of you will also be away during the summer. Therefore, I have set the deadline for submissions at 25 August (I’m @ Amsterdam time, but I’m not here to make your live difficult, so submissions that are reasonably close to 25 August will be able to compete.
I’ll start building a compilation hold shortly after that and starting 1 September, I expect voting to begin.

Meanwhile, I'll try to answer any questions if and when I am online. No guarantees, sorry for that.

Expect your entry to be judged on overall coolness of layout, puzzles, etc. with a particular emphasis on creative gentryii head trickery.

I’m looking forward to your entries!

BTW: the contest title was suggested in chat some months ago, but I can't seem to remember who came up with it (Nuntar perhaps?) (yes, it was). Thanks anyway!

Prizes
This is an official contest and has the usual prizes:

First place: 100 rank points + pick from the Prize Pile
Second place: 50 rank points
Third place: 25 rank points
First-time entrants: 10 rank points

[Last edited by Nuntar at 07-11-2019 03:10 PM]
07-09-2019 at 12:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: Unchained Malady (0)  
I have a question regarding what is permitted. My question is: Scripting?

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-09-2019 03:53 PM]
07-09-2019 at 03:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dying Flutchman
Xindaris wrote:
I have a question regarding what is permitted. My question is: Scripting?
Sure.

I'd say: anything goes, basically. I don't want to bother you with Restrictive Rules. If you have a nice idea with scripting and G heads, go for it.

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 07-09-2019 05:31 PM]
07-09-2019 at 05:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4590
icon Re: Unchained Malady (+2)  
I've edited the opening post to make clear that this is an official contest and has the usual prizes.

07-11-2019 at 03:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dying Flutchman
Nuntar wrote:
I've edited the opening post to make clear that this is an official contest and has the usual prizes.
Oh, that's nice! Can I hire you to do more writing for me? Perhaps some live voice work as well, when I forget to mention something :)

07-11-2019 at 04:07 PM
Dying Flutchman
icon Re: Unchained Malady (+1)  
Just in case you've missed this: there's an Official Contest going on.

One month left to submit. I'm not yet overwhelmed by submissions, so don't be shy and prepare one or two rooms if you have any fun ideas.

If you're planning to participate, perhaps you could PM me, so I'll know what to expect.

Looking forward to your submissions!

07-25-2019 at 11:11 AM
Dying Flutchman
Only one week left to submit your entries.

If you need more time, just let me know and I think we'll manage to sort it out.

08-19-2019 at 07:50 AM
Dying Flutchman
The deadline was yesterday, and I have received some very nice entries.

But perhaps you had forgotten about this contest and still have a nice idea for one or two rooms? I'd be happy to wait a bit for your submission, but do give me a short notice by PM.

I'll be building a hub level somewhere this week and try to put the voting topic up next weekend. So there really is some time left.

08-26-2019 at 08:39 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Unchained Malady (Our contest for July/August)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com