Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Full screen mode for DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder (Full screen works fine on demo, but not on full game on Steam)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
phunknsoul
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged
icon Full screen mode for DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder (+2)  
Hi,

Hope this is the right place to ask... I emailed support as well...

No idea how I never heard of this game before, but after playing the demo from the website, I purchased DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder on Steam.

On the demo, in fullscreen, the screen went from edge to edge, no problem. On Steam, the left and right don't go to the edge of my monitor, black bars on the side, so I have a square box (like an old CRT monitor) instead. I know it's an older game, so I'd understand it IF the demo didn't have a true fullscreen. It doesn't appear stretched or anything like that either. The only relevant graphics setting I see is the fullscreen enable/disable which I've unchecked and rechecked, tried reinstalling graphics drivers, restarting computer, reinstalling the game, etc.

Is there anything I can do to get this game in edge to edge full screen (like the demo) ?

Thanks for any help
06-26-2019 at 09:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
phunknsoul
icon Re: Full screen mode for DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder (+1)  
Don't know if this means anything, but just noticed that the mouse cursor (the sword) does move all the way to the edge of the screen... so maybe it's not a resolution thing? (though I'm not very tech savvy, so don't know what this indicates)
06-26-2019 at 10:32 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Full screen mode for DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder (+1)  
The demo version is built with a graphics library called SDL. (Same with the version available here on the Caravel Games site.)

The Steam version uses a newer version of the graphics library, SDL2, which handles full screen mode differently than SDL version 1.x.

In full screen mode, SDL stretches a 4:3 window all the way to the edges of the screen, distorting the aspect ratio to fill the whole screen.

SDL2, in contrast, maintains the 4:3 aspect ratio in full screen mode to avoid the distortion effect.

I can't recall whether there's any possible way to override an SDL2-based app at runtime to change how fullscreen mode is displayed.

If you'd like, you can PM me, and I can work with you as a favor to get you a non-Steam version of Gunthro to play so you can have the image stretched to fill the entire screen.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 06-27-2019 07:24 AM]
06-27-2019 at 07:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
phunknsoul
icon Re: Full screen mode for DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder (+2)  
I appreciate the offer, but will decline... I like having the Steam Achiecements and will probably be getting the "original trilogy" bundle and possibly the Smitemaster's Selection as well so not sure how everything would work together. I can deal with it not stretching all the way across, it probably realistically looks better without the distortion anyway.

Thanks for the offer though, it's always good to see devs supporting their product like that. Really enjoying what I've played so far. I'm evidently very late to the game, but it looks great!

Thanks,

Brian

06-28-2019 at 12:30 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Full screen mode for DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder (0)  
Thanks for the kind words of praise, and for buying our games, Brian!

Sure, no problem. I think the Steam version is generally the better experience these days, so if it works for you, you can't go wrong with that.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-28-2019 at 04:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Full screen mode for DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder (Full screen works fine on demo, but not on full game on Steam)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com