Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Adapting New Tech
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Professor Tio
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 100
IP: Logged
icon Adapting New Tech (+2)  
Click here to view the secret text

So I'm deciding to try my hand at making something longer while I'm still smoothing out some stuff in Twice Twice. Right now I don't have the hold fully finished so I didn't attach the hold file, but I have about, 4 out of the 6 levels (6 of 8 if you count an inventory and "item production" room, alongside a credits level though the credits level doesn't count, does it) built. There's a good bit of scripting I'm writing up for the hold, and this is just one item - I tried to recreate a TSS construct using the DROD RPG scripting system, and it works from my testing! It doesn't behave entirely like a Construct since from what I can tell, you can't easily have a character that can push mirrors while not triggering tokens in the RPG engine. At least, not seamlessly. Thoughts so far on this?

03-14-2019 at 04:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1304
icon Re: Adapting New Tech (0)  
That looks neat! You could avoid triggering tokens, perhaps, by not having them. :P

Or maybe by triggering them again as soon as it steps on them.
03-14-2019 at 09:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Professor Tio
Someone Else wrote:
Or maybe by triggering them again as soon as it steps on them.
Ah, right. Though this does kinda become an issue with a Greater Automaton that's been reassembled, since I have the script set up so that rather than keeping the same entity around, I instead have the scripting replace a killed Greater Automaton with an Automaton Rubble entity (that has about 500 DEF to make sure it's nigh-impossible to break but with a large GR reward if you do break it), so it automatically gets placed at the back of the processing order because of that.

03-14-2019 at 09:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Professor Tio
Annnd something odd is happening with one of the main scripts of the hold.

Click here to view the secret text

So to clarify on this, I pretty much won't be using any percentage-based damage in this hold beyond aumtlich-like gazes. There will indeed be an upgrade to effectively disable this script entirely, and is technically available from the ground level (if you can muster up a bunch of keys or find a VIP Card in the hold), but for now my concern is that I was experiencing an offset on this script.

The idea is that 25% of your defense in this hold will contribute to blocking damage given by this script for each turn you reside on oremites. The script does work for a bit initially, but then it started to become desynced - I had started to notice this when I reached 40 DEF while I was doing some personal play-testing (to give an idea, the ground level's hot tile damage variable is set to -20, so with <4 DEF, the script should deal that full 20 when you're on oremites - the player starts off with 10 DEF, though, so it'll start off at 18 (10/4=2.5 which is rounded down to 2 by DROD. It rounds down for every decimal, as I understand)). Rather than the expected 10 HP of oremite damage, it was dealing 13 HP of damage, so I dunno what the issue there is.

Note - Also yes, after taking the screenshot, I did catch an issue I realized was present where the script would've actually started healing the player once their DEF was high enough. Problem solved with an extra If check, woo.

[Last edited by Professor Tio at 03-24-2019 02:34 PM]
03-19-2019 at 11:42 PM
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Adapting New Tech (+1)  
Professor Tio wrote:
Rather than the expected 10 HP of oremite damage, it was dealing 13 HP of damage, so I dunno what the issue there is.
Did the player have a shield? _DEF only accounts for base DEF and not anything granted by equipment. You can add _ArmorDEF to get the full defense value.

The math seems to work out with a wooden shield. (-20 + 30/4 = -13)
03-20-2019 at 07:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Professor Tio
Doom wrote:
Professor Tio wrote:
Rather than the expected 10 HP of oremite damage, it was dealing 13 HP of damage, so I dunno what the issue there is.
Did the player have a shield? _DEF only accounts for base DEF and not anything granted by equipment. You can add _ArmorDEF to get the full defense value.

The math seems to work out with a wooden shield. (-20 + 30/4 = -13)

Okay that was the issue, thanks for pointing that out! I'll add that bit in now.

03-20-2019 at 10:52 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Adapting New Tech
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com