Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : F1 help: Descriptions of movement imperatives
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4592
IP: Logged
icon F1 help: Descriptions of movement imperatives (+2)  
The F1 help describes Flexible beelining, Smart beelining and Pathfinding as follows:

Flexible: When a desired diagonal movement is blocked, choose the better of horizontal and vertical movement that will get closer to the destination (default).
Smart: As flexible beelining, but also will move diagonally closer to the destination when a desired axial move is blocked.
Pathfinding: The shortest path is calculated and taken to the destination. Whenever the currently calculated path becomes blocked, then a new shortest path is calculated.

This is wrong on two counts. Flexible beelining does have the aumtlich-like sidestep, while Smart beelining lacks it, so the descriptions of these two are the wrong way round. (An easy mistake to make, when the names are so uninformative. Couldn't we just rename all the movement types to something that doesn't have the user running to the help to find out what each one does?) The description of Pathfinding implies that, like Halph, it will stick to its calculated path if a previously closed shorter path becomes open. That's true if its destination is a fixed tile, but if the destination is Player, Halph, etc then it recalculates every turn (even if the target stays still).

[Last edited by Nuntar at 11-27-2018 01:43 AM]
11-27-2018 at 12:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: F1 help: Descriptions of movement imperatives (+2)  
Thank you for the assistance in improving the help docs!
Updating help page text as follows:
PR

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-03-2020 06:19 AM]
10-03-2020 at 06:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: F1 help: Descriptions of movement imperatives (+1)  
Just noting that I can't test this with the alphas, as they don't include the updated help files, but the changes in the PR look good to me.
10-17-2020 at 07:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: F1 help: Descriptions of movement imperatives (+1)  
I've changed the status of this task to Fixed, Unreleased and release to 5.1.1 Release Candidate, so that we can test this properly once a full install build is available.

10-17-2020 at 08:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : F1 help: Descriptions of movement imperatives
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com