Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : "Attack tile" and "Game effect" commands to affect area
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dali
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 174
IP: Logged
icon "Attack tile" and "Game effect" commands to affect area (0)  
For these 2 commands, it's only possible to choose 1 tile.

Why not letting the player to choose a wider area? Is there a reason for that? the commands "build" or "build marker" are doing this finely.

[Last edited by Dali at 05-09-2018 03:00 PM]
05-09-2018 at 02:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: "Attack tile" and "Game effect" commands to affect area (0)  
I can't really get into Mike's or TFMurphy's head so the best I can do is speculate. There are basically two situations when new commands are added:

1. The official hold needs it
2. A public feature request

As you can see there is no case "let's sit down and thing thoroughly what kind of command we want to add". Don't get the wrong impression that no one thinks about those things, but the way commands are usually implemented are in the context of their origin.

If we needed a command to attack specific tile then we add a command to attack a specific tile, not a rectangle of tiles.

--

The additional reason for Game Effect is that in the game you generally don't have effects appearing over a huge space (bomb explosion being an exception) so that's that.

As for Attack Tile there is no good reason other than the general way the commands are added. Also, I guess, that with the exception of bombs there aren't any things in the game which "attack" multiple tiles at once so it's more intuitive for the command to attack a single tile.

Which is pretty much the same argument as for Game Effect.

05-11-2018 at 08:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1062
Also: Script commands can only use up to five pieces of data. Game Effect already uses all of them, since some effects additional information beyond position to work.

05-11-2018 at 09:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 662
For the record, when I was scripting the cutscenes for Tinytall Tower, I wondered the same thing. You can't simulate a bomb exploding without separately targeting every single bombed tile with the bomb game effect.

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

05-12-2018 at 09:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dali
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 174
Trickster wrote:
For the record, when I was scripting the cutscenes for Tinytall Tower, I wondered the same thing. You can't simulate a bomb exploding without separately targeting every single bombed tile with the bomb game effect.

Exactly. I was also experimenting a new idea using scripting and I wanted to have a special effect in an area and/or in a straight line.

But it's not a big deal though, I'll rework the scripting and find another solution. I don't think the game needs a new patch just for that. At least now, later I don't know.

05-12-2018 at 10:20 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : "Attack tile" and "Game effect" commands to affect area
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com