Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Goblin King's Fortress (Speed Architecture)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2668
IP: Logged

File: Goblin Kings Fortress.drh (11.1 KB)
Downloaded 37 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Goblin King's Fortress (0)  
Today in chat we talked about RPG. I decided to see with my day off if I could make a good RPG hold quickly. I aimed for about 2 hours, but instead it took me about 6.

The architecture was somewhat rushed but not massively so, I still played through it all and ensured there were no bugs. I think the balance maybe goes a bit easy suddenly towards the end, but hey that's fine, makes it easier for people to beat it.

No % damage, no secrets or secret boss, all monsters are the defaults. Enjoy!

Let me know what you think! All feedback appreciated!

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 03-31-2018 12:04 PM]
03-30-2018 at 09:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
moldar
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 54
icon Re: Goblin King's Fortress (+2)  
So, since it was made w/ speed in mind, I played it speedily.

I very much enjoyed it. I'd call it on the easier side, but that may be due to the total number of holds that I have played :)

I liked that all key types were useful throughout. I felt that there were special equipment that could be used, but I didn't feel that they were necessary. Definitely a hold that could result in some optimizations to do better, but a fun play without needing to play perfect.

Thanks, Kieran, for the enjoyable hold!
03-30-2018 at 10:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: Goblin King's Fortress (+2)  
I'm not really sure how to comment on an RPG hold since I have pretty much no experience with this game, but I thought I'd give this hold a go.

I felt that this hold was a good length. It's long enough to allow for multiple decision points without getting so long that you need to take notes to remember where stuff is.

The difficulty is also fairly low, which is to say that it's a really easy hold to beat. That being said, the hold offers you a ton of treasure and too few keys to access it, forcing the player to make a number of choices along the way. I really liked the balance of treasures to keys here. It gives an obvious thing to optimise around, but how to optimise isn't trivial.

There are a number of places, especially in the second half, where the player is given a choice of which set of tools to use to access an area, and this is another theme that I really enjoyed.

Assuming that RPG Spider ever wakes up, I might actually try to optimise this hold on release. I don't have any recommendations for improvement.

03-31-2018 at 09:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
icon Re: Goblin King's Fortress (0)  
Thanks for the comments guys!

Myself and Nuntar were playing this yesterday and came up with two challenges that ended up being quite fun to play and changed things sufficiently enough that I've implemented them as extra scorepoints. Sadly, achieving both at the same time appears to be impossible, best I can do leaves me around 800 HP short, which is quite a lot.

This version is attached to the opening post.

The ending text and some NPC text has changed, to drop hints as to what the challenges are. The ending text is now dynamic, changing with one of the challenges. Note that due to the way RPG saves rooms, you'll be best to start a new game if you want to try these challenges, that will avoid any scripts only half-working.

There have been no gameplay related changes made, although sword and shields no longer leave behind a slot or the previous weapon. I figured it was best to not change anything and leave the speed architecture to stand on its own, but it still turned out well regardless so not a problem.

If you don't want to go to the barely minimal effort of figuring out the challenges for yourself, here they are:
Click here to view the secret text

I can't imagine anyone will find any issues and unless there's a game-breaking bug I don't plan to make any gameplay changes, so I'll submit this to the HAs in a few days.
03-31-2018 at 12:17 PM
kieranmillar
icon Re: Goblin King's Fortress (0)  
I have submitted to the HAs now. Thanks for your comments all, see you on the RPG Holds board!
04-04-2018 at 10:40 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Goblin King's Fortress (Speed Architecture)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com