Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Royal Rescue
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bomber50
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 872
IP: Logged

File: Royal Rescue.drh (9.4 KB)
Downloaded 22 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Royal Rescue (+2)  
Here's an RPG hold I made that's been lying around for quite some time. Three levels, no backtracking. Not too difficult, I believe.

Change Log:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by bomber50 at 03-18-2018 05:46 AM]
12-16-2017 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
icon Re: Royal Rescue (0)  
Stats:

Interesting hold. The first level wasn't too hard, but it was tricky to see how to make progress at the start of the second, and then satisfying to see the level gradually unfold. The boss was really hard and required me to get everything I could from the level before I could kill him.

Level 3 looked impossible at first when I saw what was blocking the sword, but I was able to scratch at it little by little until I got there. After taking the sword, the rest of the level was easy -- except that, as you can see, there just wasn't enough left to make the final boss possible.

So yeah, I'll go back and have another attempt when I have time, but for now I think this is okay to play, but difficult to actually complete.

12-16-2017 at 11:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
superluminal
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75
This is a Really Good™ level set!

Full of fun choices, interesting challenges, and that lingering cloud of dread that you'll make too many bad choices and get stuck, followed by that burst of relief when you pick up enough keys and potions to keep going. This level set really has it all!

I got stuck at the second boss -- either short fifty hit points or a single yellow key. I could try again, but I'd have to start from the beginning. You should definitely add an autosave to the start of each level, and maybe a checkpoint, too.

I took a look at Pristine Palace. It's kinda ugly and cluttered compared to the previous two levels. It also takes freedom of choice a little too far. I realize you can't really know whether the player will come in with zero keys or ten keys, so it's hard to design around every possibility, but still. This feels a little much.

I love your use of greckle gates. Greckles always felt just as rare and valuable as keys and health, to the point where killing monsters just for their money was often a real choice. I've never seen monsters' loot drops be used quite so cleverly. Well done!

:thumbsup

12-18-2017 at 01:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
Okay, my scores first:

Definitely a quality hold - there is lots of room for optimization, but it's not incredibly difficult. Nor is there any place where I felt like I was ahead of the curve.
12-19-2017 at 07:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
Had another try, and this time I pulled it off! Stats:

Overall, that was a very fun hold, satisfying to complete and tricky but not extremely difficult. Hope to see this on Holds soon!

02-04-2018 at 03:27 AM
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
I've updated the hold with a few changes. Story stuff, and some HP additions in L2/L3. I ended up with just under 1300HP after the final boss with my walkthrough, so I think the difficulty is pretty reasonable.

I'll submit it in a week or two, if no one has any other suggestions on changes.
03-02-2018 at 09:10 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Royal Rescue
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com