Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Edry's Quest
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
rambomet
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
IP: Logged

File: eq_05_12_17.hold (2.6 MB)
Downloaded 33 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Edry's Quest (+5)  
My first hold. Contains Plot and Scripted elements.

[Last edited by rambomet at 12-05-2017 04:03 PM]
10-20-2017 at 04:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Romain673
Rank Points: 17
icon Re: Edry's Adventures (+1)  
If possible, let everybody edit your level, it's more simple for checking per example if we missed a room or not.

So apparently there is only two rooms playable, one easy and one...
Who took me a while to finish. Really good idea, and it's totally possible to create other room around the same theme.

[Last edited by Romain673 at 10-20-2017 10:44 PM]
10-20-2017 at 10:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638

File: Edrys Adventures.demo (16.5 KB)
Downloaded 27 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Edry's Adventures (+1)  
Welcome to the forum! It looks like you've put a lot of work into this so far, the artwork for the signposts is nice. As Romain673 mentioned above, it's customary to leave a hold as "Anyone Edit" while it is being tested. It makes things much easier on the testers.

I've posted a set of demos so that you can see how I went about solving the rooms. The first two rooms (after the tutorial) seem to be mostly horde and manipulation based rooms, so I doubt I'm doing anything unintended. So far there has not been a need to switch between characters within a room. It feels like you could use the switching capability to make some interesting puzzles. Do you plan to do that for future rooms?

I typically play with unlimited undo, so I don't typically have a good feel for checkpoint placement. But the only checkpoints in 1E are in spots that you would not naturally ever step while solving the room. I'd suggest putting one on row 15 instead.

2E is an interesting concept, but I ended up using brute force to find a good mirror placement. I'm not sure what overall difficulty level you are going for in this hold, but this particular room might be off putting to encounter early on in a hold. You can use reasoning to some extent to figure out where to place mirrors and which roaches to trap where early on, but it definitely feels like you have to resort to experimentation for a good part of the room, and it's not easy to tell at a glance if certain setups will work or not.

Looking forward to seeing more. Welcome again to the DROD forums! It's a great community, so please feel free to post throughout the forum!

10-21-2017 at 03:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rambomet
Rank Points: 23
icon Re: Edry's Quest (0)  
Totally changed the plot and added small features.
11-30-2017 at 02:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Edry's Quest
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No