Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Putting the Pieces Together contest (Contest for August)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2430
IP: Logged
icon Putting the Pieces Together contest (+5)  
Putting the Pieces Together Contest

Sometimes, making a room is a puzzle in and of itself. You have various steps you want as part of your solution, and you have to design the room so that none of the steps can be skipped.

If you haven't experienced this before as an architect, it might just happen in this contest. There's a list below of twenty things that could be "steps" in your room. Pick two (or more, if you're ambitious) and make a room that involves both ideas somewhere in the solution.

Please, try to connect your ideas together somehow! It would be boring to just make a room where they're just separate mechanisms that each let you access a roach.
Here are some possible ways to make connections:
-Make one of the steps the key to accomplishing the other.
-Make one of the steps interfere with the other, so the player has to figure out how to accomplish both.
-Have a shared pool of resources (such as mirrors or potions) that can be used on either step. The player has to think about what to use for each step, or if there's a way to use any of the resources on both steps.
-Come up with a separate task that's essential to completing both steps.

Rules and Submission Guidelines:

-You are free to use any elements in your rooms, not just the ones mentioned in your chosen ideas.
-Place a scroll in your room stating the ideas you're using for it. Hide it behind a green door if you don't want to give them away immediately. If you used several ideas, place multiple scrolls to fit all the information on them.
-You may enter up to three rooms. More rooms can be submitted if you want, but only three will be included in the voting. If you enter more, please be clear on which ones you're entering.
-You may enter your rooms all in one hold, or in multiple holds. I'll separate them for the compilation. Please include a level entrance in each room, and a way to exit the room; I plan on doing a map for navigation, so I'll need to know the player's starting location and sword direction.
-Multi-pass rooms are allowed, but the surrounding rooms may not have anything meaningful in them. Feel free to decorate them, but they shouldn't have any monsters or mechanisms for progressing. Make sure you place the level entrance where you want the player to start!
-Please submit your rooms by Local Time:08-22-2017 at 01:00 PM. Voting will begin not long after that.

List of Ideas
Remember: Pick at least two per room!

Click here to view the secret text

Prizes

This is an official contest, so the usual prizes apply:

First place wins 100 rank points and a pick from the Prize Pile.
Second place wins 50 rank points.
Third place wins 25 rank points.
First-time entrants are awarded 10 rank points.
If it's your eighth contest (or a multiple of 8) you win an 8-timer prize.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 07-10-2019 01:25 AM]
08-01-2017 at 03:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Resert On
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 37

File: 7th tn ow.png (124.9 KB)
Downloaded 572 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Putting the Pieces Together contest (0)  
Dragon Fogel wrote:
You have various steps you want as part of your solution, and you have to design the room so that none of the steps can be skipped.
So, are the architect must build rooms that player must copy architect's clearing move? Or more like KDD: Seventh Level : Twice North Once West?
Click here to view the secret text

And... Are architects must use one/all of ideas in List of Ideas?

[Last edited by Resert On at 08-02-2017 07:54 AM]
08-02-2017 at 07:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Putting the Pieces Together contest (+1)  
I don't really understand what you're asking, especially with the first question; your wording leaves me very confused. I'll do my best to answer what I can.

Most architects, when making a room, have a solution in mind for the things the player is expected to do in order to solve the room.

The point of this contest is to design a room where the intended solution uses two ideas from the provided list. Using more ideas is allowed, but not recommended unless you have a good idea of how to fit them together.

To be a valid entry, a room must:
-use at least two ideas on the list.
-have a scroll telling me which ideas are used so I can confirm the room uses them.

Does that help you understand?
08-02-2017 at 09:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Resert On
Can I use player roles in the rooms? For example in 1E use Player Role Guard and 2E use Player Role Mimic? (because you know, even guard's sword already steathed, player still can collapse thin ice if use power token)

[Last edited by Resert On at 08-02-2017 09:37 AM]
08-02-2017 at 09:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Changing player roles is allowed.
08-02-2017 at 06:04 PM
IQubic
Rank Points: 78
Can I use three items on this list in a single room?

08-03-2017 at 04:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
You can use as many ideas as you feel able to fit together. Just make sure you let me know what they all are.
08-03-2017 at 04:33 AM
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 175
Dragon Fogel wrote:
-You may enter your rooms all in one hold, or in multiple holds. I'll separate them for the compilation. Please include a level entrance in each room, and a way to exit the room; I plan on doing a map for navigation, so I'll need to know the player's starting location and sword direction.
You could just say "Make each room a separate level." Naming the entries would be really hard if multiple rooms are on the same level.

My first thought when I saw this contest was "I'm going to use all 20 elements in a room, but 18 of them will cause you to fail." But then I looked at the list, and there's a bunch of stuff I'm not good enough to use alone, much less with other stuff.

Dragon Fogel wrote:
-Force a roach to make a horizontal move when a diagonal one is blocked.
This happens in most rooms that have horizontal walls or multiple queens.

Dragon Fogel wrote:
-Hold a roach queen in place with her own spawn.
Does "spawn" include eggs or just live roaches?
08-05-2017 at 06:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Kalin wrote:
You could just say "Make each room a separate level." Naming the entries would be really hard if multiple rooms are on the same level.

I'll just PM people and ask what names they want, or they can stick scrolls near the entrances. It's not a big deal. I'm just letting people do whatever works best for them.

Kalin wrote:
Dragon Fogel wrote:
-Force a roach to make a horizontal move when a diagonal one is blocked.
This happens in most rooms that have horizontal walls or multiple queens.

Let me clarify, then.
By "force", I mean the player has to take action to do this, blocking an open vertical move in some way.
What matters for this one is:
-It is possible for the roach to reach a particular tile where both horizontal and vertical moves are available.
-The player can act to prevent the roach from making the vertical move when the diagonal is blocked, and doing so is a necessary step in solving the room.
(The diagonal doesn't have to always be blocked.)
The exact method of blocking the roach is left up to architect discretion. It can even be as simple as "close a door", though without some kind of complication that's probably not going to be very interesting and your score might suffer.

Kalin wrote:
Dragon Fogel wrote:
-Hold a roach queen in place with her own spawn.
Does "spawn" include eggs or just live roaches?

It includes eggs, though those are going to turn into roaches before long anyhow. How long the queen has to stay in place is up to the architect, but it has to be at least one turn to count.
08-05-2017 at 08:47 PM
Resert On
Dragon Fogel wrote:
-Get an adder to eat rock golem corpses.
Are the rock golem must be corpses, alive or both to make entry valid?

08-11-2017 at 09:36 AM
Dragon Fogel
I said "corpses", so that means at least two dead rock golems.

It can eat live ones as well as the dead ones, and how you enforce some of the golems being dead is up to you.
08-11-2017 at 06:35 PM
Dragon Fogel
Reminder: there's just one week before the deadline!
08-15-2017 at 05:35 PM
Dragon Fogel
Just three days left to submit an entry!

I don't have a lot in yet, so I hope you people putting it off until the last minute are ready.
08-19-2017 at 06:00 PM
Dragon Fogel
That deadline's getting closer... Be sure to get your entries in!
08-21-2017 at 06:00 AM
Dragon Fogel
Deadline is tomorrow! Those of you putting things off until the last minute should get on it now.
08-21-2017 at 05:12 PM
Dragon Fogel
If I were to enforce the deadline strictly, there would be just 7 hours left to get an entry in.

I don't plan on being that strict, but anyone who hasn't entered yet pretty much only has a day to go. So get moving!
08-22-2017 at 05:52 AM
Resert On
Dragon Fogel wrote:
-Use a wraithwing to keep another monster off a pressure plate.
Does the mean keep monster from unpress pressure plate?

08-22-2017 at 08:04 AM
Dragon Fogel
The intention of that one is "the wraithwing is on a pressure plate and this blocks another monster from stepping on the plate".
08-22-2017 at 08:12 AM
Resert On
I thought that was use wraithwing to prevent monster from stepping off the pressure plate.

08-22-2017 at 08:18 AM
Dragon Fogel
You may be confused by the meaning of the word "keep", then, or at least how it's being used here. It means "preserve", so the phrasing means "preserve the state of the monster being off a pressure plate".

I hope that's clear enough. I don't know which English words you'll understand better.

Anyhow, I know the timer in the first post has passed, but I will still accept entries today. Don't worry too much about when it stops being "today".
08-22-2017 at 04:20 PM
Dragon Fogel
Okay, absolute last call.

It's about 40 minutes to midnight for me when I make this post. I will stop accepting entries soon - I'm not going to put an exact time on it, but I'm not going to hold the metaphorical door open for much longer than 12:30.

So, this is the last minute. If you think you can put something together in the next hour or so, go for it!

If you've got something in progress for the contest but you don't think you'll finish in time, feel free to keep working on it. I can include it in the published compilation as a late entry. (Or you can include it somewhere in one of your own holds if you want, it's your room.)
08-23-2017 at 06:25 AM
Dragon Fogel
Okay, the contest is actually closed now. I'll be heading to sleep soon.
08-23-2017 at 07:37 AM
Dragon Fogel
I've got a compilation hold put together now - no map because, while I want to do one, that's going to slow things down. So that will have to wait for the published version.

I need Schik's help to anonymize the hold, though, so the voting thread will be delayed until he can help me with that.

This might be a good time to check if you need to fix any major room breaks. If you do, please make a new post in the submission thread so I'm more likely to see it.
08-23-2017 at 06:54 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Putting the Pieces Together contest (Contest for August)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com