Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : GatEB Steam: Level 25:1S (Neather script breaks if you let him escape North)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Maurog
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1501
IP: Logged
icon GatEB Steam: Level 25:1S (+2)  
To reproduce:
* Restore 25:1S
* Go into the trap area and let Neather trap you and exit north
* Follow him two rooms north to 25:1N

What happens:
* The script breaks, there is no Neather the second time you enter 25:Entrance and there is a broken Neather you can kill in 25:1N
* There will be no Neather in the other rooms
* You can keep walking around but you will be trapped in 25:2W because you need the Neather to continue

What should happen:
* There is a Neather walking north the second time you visit 25:Entrance
* There is a Neather in all the previously conquered rooms doing roughly the same script and escaping
* With his help you should be able to go all the way around back to 25:1S

11-05-2016 at 02:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
icon Re: GatEB Steam: Level 25:1S (0)  
I recall it was already like that back in KDD 5.0 because I encountered this situation before myself.

But then, you can restore to 1S and it's rather clear you're not going to catch him by running into circles, so that's probably not something worth of a "fix" or something I guess.
11-05-2016 at 02:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4592
icon Re: GatEB Steam: Level 25:1S (+1)  
The Neather does not reappear in the original KDD.

When TFMurphy replaced the original Neather with a scripted character, making him go through a pantomime if the player goes round the rooms again wasn't a high priority. He decided to put "End" commands in the script so the Neather doesn't reappear. Since that was his decision, as far as I'm concerned, that is what "should" happen.

Now, I can't remember the details, but I'm pretty sure I did make some changes concerning what happens if the player goes round again -- in particular, because several rooms are possible to leave uncleared the first time round, including 2W, where this is even a challenge. I no longer have the original script to refer to, but I think I just changed it so the Neather's script Ends only if the room is clear.

I've double-checked the scripting in 1N and it seems fine to me: the Neather has "If... Wait for clean room, End" at the start of his script, so he should reappear (and do the same actions) if the room is uncleared, but never appear if it's cleared.

Unfortunately it's not easy to test this because I would have to play through the entire level to do so :P Do you know whether or not you cleared 1N the first time round?

11-05-2016 at 03:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I fully cleared 1N the first time around and also all the other rooms including 2W.
To clarify, you CANNOT do 2W again without the Neather even if it's cleared. You need him to hit an orb only reachable by trapdoors.
Same with that game room where you pick orbs one by one.

If you want an easy hack that prevents the player from reaching this broken state, you can just change the northern orb in 1S to NOT open the trap.

Then the player is forced to do the right thing instead of starting the circle again.

If you want to fix the circle, you need to have a DIFFERENT Neather that appears only if the room is cleared, and just runs away, opening all the crucial doors for you.

[Last edited by Maurog at 11-05-2016 04:14 PM]
11-05-2016 at 04:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 488
It turns out that in all the rooms that require the 'Neather to get through, this can be fixed just removing the end command entirely. Maybe replace it with a "go to" for the end of the script.

11-05-2016 at 06:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : GatEB Steam: Level 25:1S (Neather script breaks if you let him escape North)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com