Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : What to do with vague ideas?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Darkmatt
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 51
IP: Logged
icon What to do with vague ideas? (0)  
Hey there. I've been trying to make some DROD rooms but I've been hitting a bit of a snag that I could use some advice with.

When I have room ideas, but they're too vague for me to actually put down on paper, what should I do? This has been a thorn in my side for a while now and if someone could say something to jog my noggin a little bit, that would be a great help with breaking through and getting some nice DROD rooms made.

Thanks in advance.
08-22-2016 at 09:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
IP: Logged
icon Re: What to do with vague ideas? (+1)  
Yeah this is a problem I face too. Here's what I do when I have a somewhat vague idea for a DROD room (not that this is a great process or anything, but this may help possibly.)

I have a hold that I use to basically keep ideas for rooms that are not quite ready for prime time. I think a lot of folks have something similar. Mine starts with *** just so that it's always on top of the hold menu when I go to build.

If I have a really vague idea for a room I'll often start by placing the elements that go with my idea into a room along with possibly a scroll with some sort of explanation. I'll try to build any widgets that may belong to the idea, but I'll often leave them disjointed. I'll often let the room sit like that for a few days or more so that the idea can develop a bit.

So at this stage I have a room or two with some desultory set of elements and possibly some thoughts on what to do with them. Usually I'll try to have an empty room next to this idea room where I try to put the parts together. When I'm doing this I usually have the solution or solution method in mind and try to put parts together that enforce it. I'll often try one arrangement out then decide to scrap it completely and start over. Sometimes I'll have aesthetic look in mind already and try to fit the parts of the puzzle in to make that work. This will occasionally result in neat new linchpins, but sometimes it will just make things awkward and annoying and I'll have to start over from scratch.

One thing that I'll emphasize is to leave some scrolls around in the room reminding yourself of what the end goal or general idea is. I have a ton of rooms that have interesting assortments of elements in them but I can't for the life of me remember what the original puzzle idea I had was! So leaving scrolls or some other clear sort of reminder is a good idea. Hope this helps!

08-22-2016 at 09:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : What to do with vague ideas?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com