Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Pushing Slayers is Strange (Something somewhere along the line is broken I assume)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
blorx1
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 920
IP: Logged

File: Pushing Slayers.hold (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Pushing Slayers is Strange (+1)  
The hold has a demo from title screen. Something in said demo is most assuredly broken, because I get chased by a wisp not attached to a slayer.

07-28-2016 at 02:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
icon Re: Pushing Slayers is Strange (+5)  
How to reproduce this bug:

1. Lay out a wisp path.
2. Push the slayer to the middle of the wisp path. Make sure he's either on the wisp path or touching it, so he will not recalculate wisp path.
3. Use weapon movements to trigger his defensive maneuvers. Getting him moving in this way will cause a branch in wisp path.
4. Self-intersect the wisp to cut off the path. Specifically, you need to cut the path before the branch point.

If every step is done properly, there will be two segments of wisp left: the dead branch that is connected to the slayer, and the disconnected root that will persue the player.

Then, when the wisp is triggered, the slayer follows the dead branch to its end. Then the wisp is totally reset, everything becomes normal again.

So, in short, there are two bugs in here:

- The slayer performs a check if he's connected to the wisp, but not if he's connected to the root of the wisp
- The slayer also does not check if the wisp is totally connected

[Last edited by uncopy2002 at 07-02-2017 03:46 PM]
07-02-2017 at 03:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386
icon Re: Pushing Slayers is Strange (0)  
Bumping for skell

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
10-05-2020 at 11:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
My slayer fu is bad. I'd like to request a demo or two that show the problem occurring.

10-06-2020 at 11:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell

File: PushingSlayers.demo (1.1 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
License: Public Domain
My solution was to make it so that pushing slayers will extend the wisp back from them immediately. I don't know if it's still possible to create an identical situation as before but I hope not.

PR

(I am attaching the demo extracted from the hold file)

10-08-2020 at 11:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
Just to be sure I understand correctly: under the new behavior, if a slayer is pushed, that slayer's wisp will disappear entirely? Or are you saying something else?
10-09-2020 at 10:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
icon Re: Pushing Slayers is Strange (+1)  
No, I mean the wisp tile will be added to the tile from which the slayer was pushed (as if Slayer moved under pressure from Beethro being close), to maintain the existing wisp.

Like this: (w=wisp, S=Slayer, .=floor)
ww..
..S.

When slayer is pushed E:

ww..
..wS

10-09-2020 at 10:44 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
Okay, that makes sense. And if you push the slayer onto the wisp, that tile gets "used up" as if he had moved there on his own?

If that's true, then I think the only potential problem is if the slayer doesn't recalculate his path properly if pushed to be adjacent to the existing wisp. Haven't downloaded a beta version yet so I haven't checked what happens with either of those cases.
10-09-2020 at 10:57 PM
skell
What happens when you push Slayer onto an existing wisp is that he continues chasing you as normal, and if the wisp catches you he'll step on the wisp piece that's next to him and closest to the player, so as usual. He won't suddenly decide to recalculate the whole wisp when he's pushed onto it.

10-12-2020 at 11:00 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
Can confirm in 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-18 that by watching the attached demo the buggy behaviour I see in the last stable version does not happen. Instead the wisp path start tile correctly extends and moves with the slayer.
10-18-2020 at 07:22 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Pushing Slayers is Strange (Something somewhere along the line is broken I assume)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com