Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Mini Mimicry
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bomber50
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 872
IP: Logged

File: Mini Mimicry.hold (30.5 KB)
Downloaded 40 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Mini Mimicry (0)  
This hold is all about mimics and small spaces. The rooms mostly involve either Beethro or a mimic having to solve a puzzle while having very limited space to move.

Should be fairly easy. Hope people enjoy!

Change Log:
Click here to view the secret text

Changes to Make:

[Last edited by bomber50 at 07-06-2016 12:13 AM]
06-07-2016 at 10:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
superluminal
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75

File: MM Mini Mimicry 1N2E Victory.demo (1.3 KB)
Downloaded 37 times.
icon Re: Mini Mimicry (+1)  
Alright, just downloaded the hold. Let's get this bad boy going.

Hold conquered, 62% secrets.

This was a really great hold. Like you said, it was fairly easy, but that was one thing so great about it. Also of note was how cleverly you built rooms as variations on a theme. And by limiting yourself to just two versions, the gimmick felt played out just long enough. Yeah, sometimes the secret was easier than the required version, but they were all great fun anyway.

One thing I especially liked was how my mood changed in the middle of most rooms. In certain rooms (like 3N 1W), the puzzle seems straightforward until you realize that little trick that changes everything. I love feeling surprised like that. Unfortunately, it also makes rooms like 2N 1W (which are straightforward and have no tricks) feel all the more boring.

I'd rate this at least an 8 for sure. Again, great work!

06-08-2016 at 12:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638

File: Mini Mimicry.demo (16.5 KB)
Downloaded 36 times.
A demo attached for the whole hold so that you can check for unintended solutions. Most rooms were fairly open though, so I don't really think there are any. My general impression is that this is a really nice mid difficulty hold (5ish brains maybe.) It reminds me a lot of A Journey Through Time in that regard. I like the thematic focus, and the aesthetic layout plays really nicely with that theme of mimics in tight spaces. Most of the rooms were either super fun, or at least a relaxing play through. Room comments are in lexicographical order for ease of use.

06-08-2016 at 07:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
icon Re: Mini Mimicry (0)  
Responses to superluminal's feedback:

06-11-2016 at 05:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
Responses to Insoluble's feedback:

06-11-2016 at 05:56 AM
bomber50
I'm glad to hear both of you liked this hold! Posting new version in first post, with changes for most of the issues you mentioned. There are still a few changes I'd like to make. I'll get to those soon.
06-11-2016 at 06:01 AM
superluminal

File: MM Mini Mimicry 2N2W Victory.demo (1.4 KB)
Downloaded 35 times.
Reviewing your changes:

06-12-2016 at 12:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
I liked the new 1S1W. The walls make it less trivial. I was able to lock in the western mimic at (14,5) pretty easily, but had to think about how to keep him there a couple of times (though a optimization run would avoid this I suppose.) It struck the right balance of being an interesting enough room while not being quite so hard as its secret room counterpart.

superluminal wrote: I didn't know you could do that with firetraps. That's pretty brilliant!

Yeah, the oddities of turn order make it possible. This particular mechanic gets used a lot in the hold Gardeviance which I highly recommend checking out. The level Trapdoor War is accessible from the beginning and contains a whole bunch of great mimic + trapdoor puzzles.

06-14-2016 at 04:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
superluminal
Any word on this hold? It's too much fun to be lost to the pits of architecture forever. :(

07-01-2016 at 10:06 PM
bomber50
superluminal wrote:
Any word on this hold? It's too much fun to be lost to the pits of architecture forever. :(

I've uploaded new version. Biggest changes are two new rooms, and some hold intro/ending text.

Expect to submit this to HA soon, provided no other changes need to be made.
07-03-2016 at 05:33 PM
Insoluble

File: Mini Mimicry.demo (16.5 KB)
Downloaded 36 times.
It looks like the hold intro text didn't make it into this version. Or by hold intro text did you mean the fact that you have it set to not show? Either way I think the two new rooms are great. The invisibility potion makes the gentrii manipulation less bad and the construct/power token room is neat. Demos attached in case you need them. It looks ready to publish though.

07-03-2016 at 08:44 PM
bomber50
I meant the description on the Change Location screen.

I'm ready to publish it, but I'll wait a few days first. An extra person to test this hold and make sure it's all good would be great. :)
07-03-2016 at 10:06 PM
superluminal
Ooh! Me! Me!

Gotta hand it to you, these room changes look great. 2N 2W is a fun take on constructs, and 1N 3W is much-improved. It's a lot easier to find the trick (but it's still a clever trick) when the gentryii isn't trying to roll around and undo your progress. Both rooms took me about five minutes to figure out, which is on par with most everything else in the hold.

I scrolled through the other rooms and tried to find unintended solutions, but I didn't find any. Then again, I'm not too experienced with solving rooms at all, let alone solving them the wrong way, so take my review with an asteroid of salt.

Everything looks good!

07-03-2016 at 11:36 PM
LeoS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276

File: Mini Mimicry LeoS.demo (9.3 KB)
Downloaded 37 times.
I played through this over the past few weeks and can only second the praise in the comments above! Lots of fun, short lynchpin rooms, mostly with a limited range of options to try so they won't stymie solvers too long, though I *was* stuck for quite some time on a few of the rooms (including having virtual h+s effect as I tried 2S one last time before posting here and voila! I solved it).

I can see why you removed that multi-mimic stick room but I'd hate to see it disappear entirely, just for its neat oddity. Could you include it as a post-mastery room? Maybe with an explanation scroll and a further spoiler that it's solvable/breakable by the Q-spam trick mentioned by superluminal?

Great hold and concept!

I don't think they'll add much insight but I'm attaching my demos, "to have, see?" as Little Red Riding Hood says in that old Looney Tunes.
07-06-2016 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Mini Mimicry
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com