Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bridge building bugged behavior
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
IP: Logged

File: Bridge building horror.hold (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Bridge building bugged behavior (+2)  
Demo hold attached.

When building a whole area of bridges via build command, very weird things that defy intuition happen:

1. Bridge dropping checks does not consider for tiles that have changed during the turn, e.g builders or build command, even though the check should be at post-turn.

2. Building over an area is performed by building every single tile from up to down, left to right. However, bridge connectivity checks are performed each time a tile of bridge is built, which means depending on where your support tile are, part of the bridge you built will drop while other remains.

3. Bridge dropping checks and water/pit checks are not performed at the same time. Bridges can drop around other dropped bridges and, as a result, form into water, which makes no sense at all.

And then I don't even anymore.

There's definitely at least one bug inside all this mess.

[Last edited by uncopy2002 at 04-15-2016 07:04 PM]
04-15-2016 at 07:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Bridge building bugged behavior (+1)  
Now bridges state is updated only after the whole build command is processed. Related topic. PR

Please please, if there are any known holds that use build or build markers with bridges - test them.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-04-2020 07:29 PM : fix link]
10-19-2020 at 12:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
I took a look at the example hold in 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-29 but there are still bugs/questions.

1) When a bridge is built, dropping occurs immediately after build if it is not connected to anything. So if you make two separate build commands, one attached to ground, and the other attached only to the bridge you just built, you get a stable structure. Put the build commands the other way around and the initially unconnected bridge will fall. Perhaps this is fine.

2) If a bridge is due to fall on turn 1 because it is initially unconnected on turn 0, and you try to build a bridge on top of it on turn 1, the falling bridge will turn that tile into water, even if it is in the middle of a pit. See the original example hold.
10-31-2020 at 07:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Bridge building bugged behavior (+2)  
PR

It is now possible to save bridges from falling if a new support is added to them before the end of the turn. Should fix all other weird edge cases that Kieran has found.

11-03-2020 at 09:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
Can confirm fixed in 5.1.1.alpha.2020-11-04. Build order no longer matters for bridges when you build multiple in a turn (including trapdoors). And bridges that were destined to fall no longer bizarrely turn into water.
11-07-2020 at 11:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bridge building bugged behavior
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com