Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Math Jokes
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Re: Math Jokes (0)  
Yeah, I don't get that one either.

12-08-2004 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
YtterbiJum
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
I actually didn't get it myself, I was hoping someone here would be able to tell me. I found it on the internet somewhere a long time ago.

12-08-2004 at 09:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Rabscuttle wrote:
I don't get that last one.

sqrt(i) = (1+i)/sqrt(2) or (-1-i)/sqrt(2)

Not the square root of i, the square root of I. And I don't get it either.

12-13-2004 at 02:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I think its just one of those jokes which don't actually have a meaning. At least not mathematical.
12-13-2004 at 02:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: Math Jokes (+1)  
Here is a silly one:

Why is 6 afraid of 7?

Click here to view the secret text

12-13-2004 at 04:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Why is three afraid of four?

12-13-2004 at 04:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
"Algebraic symbols are used when you do not know what you are talking about."
What do 2 morons make?

If 2 morons were on a pointy rooftop, a big and a little moron, and one fell, Which one was it?

Who is bigger, Mrs. Bigger or Mrs. Bigger's baby?

I only posted that last one since it is the same.

[Edited by rowrow at Local Time:12-13-2004 at 05:14 PM]

12-13-2004 at 04:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bibelot
Rank Points: 322
icon Re: Math Jokes (+3)  
Oh, I can't help it...

Why is ε afraid of ζ?

12-13-2004 at 05:42 PM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
Okay, I got inspired but please don't throw things at me, okay?

Why was the baker mad at α?

++Adam H. Peterson
12-13-2004 at 06:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
YtterbiJum
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
bibelot wrote:
Why is ε afraid of ζ?

AlefBet wrote:

English translation, please?

12-13-2004 at 09:44 PM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
bibelot wrote:
Why is ε afraid of ζ?

AlefBet wrote:

[Edited by AlefBet at Local Time:12-13-2004 at 09:56 PM]

++Adam H. Peterson
12-13-2004 at 09:50 PM
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
Q: What does the zero say to the the eight?
A: Nice belt!

The math teacher asks his students: "What is 9 times 7?"
He gets several answers - all are either 62 or 65.
"Come one - the correct answer can either be 62 or 65!"

Q: Why do mathematicians, after a dinner at a Chinese restaurant, always insist on taking the leftovers home?
A: Because they know the Chinese remainder theorem!

Teacher: "Who can tell me what 7 times 6 is?"
Student: "It's 42!"
Teacher: "Very good! - And who can tell me what 6 times 7 is?"
Same student: "It's 24!"

12-14-2004 at 12:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Strabo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 55
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand buinary, and those who can't.
12-29-2004 at 08:26 PM
Donny
Rank Points: 40
icon Re: Math Jokes (+2)  
Next several stories are attributed to real mathematicians. For most of them, it was impossible to check the truthfulness of the story. Therefore the names are often removed.

In 1915, Emma Noether arrived in Göttingen but was denied the private-docent status. The argument was that a woman cannot attend the University senate (the faculty meetings). Hilbert's reaction was: "Gentlemen! There is nothing wrong to have a woman in the senate. Senate is not a bath."

After Laplace completed his masterpiece Mecanique Celeste (Mechanics of the Heavens) he presented a copy to his friend Napoleon. Napoleon, who also was a mathematician, after going through the book called in Laplace and said to him: "You have written a book about Mechanics of the Heavens without mentioning God?" Laplace replied: "Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis".

The following problem can be solved either the easy way or the hard way.

Two trains 200 miles apart are moving toward each other; each one is going at a speed of 50 miles per hour. A fly starting on the front of one of them flies back and forth between them at a rate of 75 miles per hour. It does this until the trains collide and crush the fly to death. What is the total distance the fly has flown?

The fly actually hits each train an infinite number of times before it gets crushed, and one could solve the problem the hard way with pencil and paper by summing an infinite series of distances. The easy way is as follows: Since the trains are 200 miles apart and each train is going 50 miles an hour, it takes 2 hours for the trains to collide. Therefore the fly was flying for two hours. Since the fly was flying at a rate of 75 miles per hour, the fly must have flown 150 miles. That's all there is to it.

When this problem was posed to John von Neumann, he immediately replied, "150 miles."
"It is very strange," said the poser, "but nearly everyone tries to sum the infinite series."
"What do you mean, strange?" asked Von Neumann. "That's how I did it!"

Another von Neumann quote : Young man, in mathematics you don't understand things, you just get used to them.

The mathematician S. had to move to a new place. His wife didn't trust him very much, so when they stood down on the street with all their things, she asked him to watch their ten trunks, while she get a taxi. Some minutes later she returned. Said the husband:
"I thought you said there were ten trunks, but I've only counted to nine."
The wife said: "No, they're TEN!"
"But I have counted them: 0, 1, 2, ..."

This anecdote is attributed to Landau (the Russian physicist Lev not the Göttingen mathematician Edmund).

Landau's group was discussing a bright new theory, and one of junior colleagues of Landau bragged that he had independently discovered the theory a couple of years ago, but did not bother to publish his finding.

"I would not repeat this claim if I were you," Landau replied: "There is nothing wrong if one has not found
a solution to a particular problem. However, if one has found it but does not publish it, he shows a poor judgment and inability to understand what important is in modern physics".

David Hilbert (1862-1943)
01-01-2005 at 09:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Donny
Rank Points: 40
icon Re: Math Jokes (+3)  
Almost forgot this one:

Top ln(e^10) reasons why e is better than pi

10) e is easier to spell than pi.
9) pi ~= 3.14 while e ~=2.718281828459045.
8) The character for e can be found on a keyboard, but pi sure can't.
7) Everybody fights for their piece of the pie.
6) ln(pi^1) is a really nasty number, but ln(e^1) = 1.
5) e is used in calculus while pi is used in baby geometry.
4) 'e' is the most commonly picked vowel in Wheel of Fortune.
3) e stands for Euler's Number, pi doesn't stand for squat.
2) You don't need to know Greek to be able to use e.
1) You can't confuse e with a food product.

Top ten reasons why e is inferior to pi

10) e is less challenging to spell than pi.
9) e ~=2.718281828459045, which can be easily memorized to its billionth place, whereas pi needs "skills" to be memorized.
8) The character for e is so cheap that it can be found on a keyboard. But is special (it's under "special symbols" in word processor programs.)
7) Pi is the bigger piece of pie.
6) e has an easy limit definition and infinite series. The limit definition of pi and the infinite series are much harder.
5) e you understand what it is even though you start learning it late when you're in pre-calculus. But pi, even after five or six years it's still hard to know what it really is.
4) People mistakenly confuse Euler's Number (e) with Euler's Constant (gamma). There is no confusion with the one and only .
3) e is named after a person, but pi stands for itself.
2) Pi is much shorter and easier to say than "Euler's Number".
1) To read pi, you don't have to know that Euler's name is really pronounced Oiler.

How many mathematicians does it take to change a light bulb?
None. It's left to the reader as an exercise.
None. The answer is intuitively obvious.
One. He gives it to four programmers, thereby simplifying the problem to a previous question.

How many numerical analysts does it take to change a light bulb?
3.9967 (after six iterations).

How many mathematical logicians does it take to change a light bulb?
None. They can't do it, but they can easily prove that it can be done.

How many classical geometers does it take to change a light bulb?
None. You can't do it with a straight edge and a compass.

How many analysts does it take to change a light bulb?
Three. One to prove existence, one to prove uniqueness and one to derive a nonconstructive algorithm to do it.

How many number theorists does it take to change a light bulb?
I don't know the exact number, but I am sure it must be some rather elegant prime.

David Hilbert (1862-1943)
01-01-2005 at 10:01 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Math Jokes
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com