Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Idea for Poll Editing
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon Idea for Poll Editing (0)  
The forum has mentioned this a couple of times: An option to edit polls. It's sprung up a couple of times, but it could bring "rigging" to the polls. Here's my idea:

Have the script that edits the post check to see if anyone has voted in the poll yet. If they have, you will lose permission to change the poll. The only way would be through the course of a moderator, who would have permission no matter what. If no one has voted yet, only then would you be able to edit/change the options.

10-30-2004 at 05:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
icon Re: Idea for Poll Editing (+1)  
I think that editing should be allowed, but all votes should be removed when it is done.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
10-30-2004 at 10:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: Idea for Poll Editing (0)  
Hey cool, I'm not the only person on the forums who's heard of Radiskull and Devildoll.

Anyway, I agree that if poll editing is allowed, results should be erased. That would then cascade to tracking down who's voted in that particular poll, and depending how the database tables are set up that might get very tedious, very quickly.

10-31-2004 at 02:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
I agree with this. Over a year ago, I made a poll asking what everyone's favorite Disney/Pixar was, and it would be nice to not have to start a new poll when "The Incredibles" comes out.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

11-01-2004 at 12:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
See, the problem I have with that scenario is that, basically, it's unfair to the people voting in your polls. If I vote in your poll, I state my opinion, and I expect it to remain there. Deleting the poll because you made a mistake and the poll is invalid is one thing. Deleting it because a year later something new came up is a totally different thing. I think it's much better to start a new poll - also, that will allow comparing the polls, which may be interesting.

11-01-2004 at 02:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
gamer's idea - only editing a poll if there are no votes yet - isn't bad, but in my opinion (and hey, I'm the one who'd be doing the work...) it's not worth the work. If you realize the goof-up that quickly, just re-make the poll. It can be a pain, but.... well, sorry. Until I find myself with an endless amount of time to work on this stuff, I probably won't add poll editing.

Regarding editing polls after votes have been cast.... I agree with what Eytan said.

11-01-2004 at 03:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
...Could we at least have an option to lock a poll after a bit? It'd be nice for my ...posts to 40000 thread. Just a little checkbox on the top thread could work wonders. Please? Pretty please? With a bag of M&Ms and a cherry on top?

11-02-2004 at 11:49 PM
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
Could there be an option to lock your own poll even when it isnt timed? In gamer's poll, it asked for a date, so he couldn't set it to lock on a certain date because it was variable. Would this be a viable suggestion?
11-03-2004 at 08:33 AM
gamer_extreme_101
'Tis what I asked, good Sir. :)

11-03-2004 at 02:41 PM
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
Naaaah....I would have known if it was.
11-03-2004 at 09:04 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Idea for Poll Editing
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com