Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Moving between different checkpoint steps in Restore screen
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
IP: Logged
icon Moving between different checkpoint steps in Restore screen (+3)  
Currently, if you select any checkpoint marks in the Restore screen, it always brings you to the last time you stepped on it. Same for "Room Start", which always brings you to the last time you enter the room. It's not convenient for times you want to re-clear a room again, which mostly happens with challenge, but the biggest problem, I think, is that it essentially makes somes saves inaccessible once you accidentally steps on them again.

Suggestion:

- Remove "Furthest save", and instead put two sets of buttons on the left of "Room Start": <<, <, > and >>. These buttons corresponds to "Go to the first, previous, next and last save" respectively.
The first set are for one particular save point (including room entrances), and the second set are for all save points, so you can cycle between checkpoints like how the R key does in the room.

[Last edited by uncopy2002 at 02-15-2016 03:10 AM]
02-15-2016 at 02:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Moving between different checkpoint steps in Restore screen (0)  
I don't see this being implemented for these reasons:
1. Memory constraints. Game stores saves as room state at the start (starting position, variables, global scripts running, IDs of visited and conquered rooms and a bunch of other things) plus moves up until the turn. Right now it only stores at most one save per checkpoint, plus room-start save. If we stored every single save, any room with a lot of checkpoints you walk onto would increase the memory footprint of that room's saves by orders of magnitude.
2. Not only memory constraints, but also computational speed. If you suddenly had 100x as many saves as you already have in your game, every operation that iterates through all of them would be slower. That's thankfully not that many things.
3. Imagine trying to find the save you want if you have 50 saves per checkpoint.

11-23-2020 at 10:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 189
icon Re: Moving between different checkpoint steps in Restore screen (0)  
skell wrote:
Right now it only stores at most one save per checkpoint, plus room-start save.
In addition to challenges, some secret rooms can only be reached from unconquered rooms and it can be a real pain trying to find the right save point in another room to get there.

How about this:
If entering an already conquered room, DO NOT overwrite the "room start" save.

Nevermind, memory error.

(Though I wouldn't mind those checkpoint selection buttons while playing a room, for when I accidentally hit 'R' too many times.)

[Last edited by Kalin at 11-24-2020 02:06 AM]
11-23-2020 at 10:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Moving between different checkpoint steps in Restore screen (+1)  
Kalin wrote:
If entering an already conquered room, DO NOT overwrite the "room start" save.
I am pretty sure Room Start save is only overwritten when you enter a room that is not yet conquered and the number of conquered rooms is the same or larger than the old save. Yup

11-23-2020 at 10:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Moving between different checkpoint steps in Restore screen
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com