Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Cracked Orb game crash (Cracked Orb, Fire Trap, Powder Keg, and Pressure Plate all activated on the same turn sometimes crashes the game.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
IP: Logged

File: Cracked Orb Crash.hold (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Cracked Orb game crash (+5)  
This set-up has a roach walking on to a pressure plate. The plate will activate the fire trap with the powder keg, causing an explosion that kills the roach and hits the orb. This crashes the game if the orb is BOTH cracked AND toggles the same fire trap that triggered the explosion.

Using this set-up, the game will NOT crash if the orb is not cracked, or if the cracked orb toggles another fire trap while ignoring the trap that caused the explosion.

Attached is a quick one-room hold that shows the four cases of cracked/uncracked orb toggling each of the two fire traps. On my computer the game only crashes in the 4th case (cracked orb toggles the fire trap that contained the powder keg.)

I am running windows 7, running The Second Sky version 5.0.1.6060

12-13-2015 at 04:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720

File: drod.err (3.9 KB)
Downloaded 40 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Cracked Orb game crash (+2)  
Attached is the error data immediately after the crash when running through the above hold.

12-13-2015 at 05:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
icon Re: Cracked Orb game crash (0)  
It gets a bit stranger. In the editor, wait several hundred turns before stepping on the case 4 pressure plate. It doesn't crash, but then undo a few turns and it crashes.

12-13-2015 at 05:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Can someone confirm it is not a duplicate of http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=39286 ?
[Fixed for 5.1 -- please validate this issue does not happen in 5.1 -- mrimer]

[Last edited by mrimer at 12-15-2015 01:27 PM]
12-13-2015 at 04:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: Cracked Orb game crash (+11)  
skell wrote:
Can someone confirm it is not a duplicate of http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=39286 ?
[Fixed for 5.1 -- please validate this issue does not happen in 5.1 -- mrimer]

I can confirm with great despair and sadness that this issue is not correctly fixed in 5.1.0.1007 but instead manifests itself differently. :no

In 5.0.1.6060 the hold in the OP forces the game to close in Case 4. In 5.1.0.1007 both Case 2 and 4 cause the game to freeze up! Nothing is written to the error log in 5.1.0.1007.
12-23-2015 at 08:55 PM
skell
icon Re: Cracked Orb game crash (+1)  
Bump because it must be done for 5.1

01-24-2016 at 09:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Mike, I will be fixing this bug today. Along with the other two that will be all I feel we need to fix for 5.1 :).

02-08-2016 at 03:23 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Yay! Thank you. It looks like this week could very well be the week that 5.1 goes live!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-08-2016 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
icon Re: Cracked Orb game crash (+2)  
I have tested this in the latest dev build of the game, both debug and release and it works fine, so it must've been fixed in the meantime :).

02-08-2016 at 05:30 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
Confirmed, the scenario above does not crash the game in 5.1.0.6462.

The only thing to note is that the multi-use pressure plate is still considered "held down" after the keg blows up the roach until you move again (and won't activate if something steps on it immediately afterwards). I'm not sure if this qualifies as a bug or if it's just a weird quirk of pressure plate rules, either way I'm just noting that's what happens.
02-18-2016 at 12:16 AM
skell
Dragon Fogel wrote:
Confirmed, the scenario above does not crash the game in 5.1.0.6462.

The only thing to note is that the multi-use pressure plate is still considered "held down" after the keg blows up the roach until you move again (and won't activate if something steps on it immediately afterwards). I'm not sure if this qualifies as a bug or if it's just a weird quirk of pressure plate rules, either way I'm just noting that's what happens.

I'll investigate and give you an answer :)

02-18-2016 at 12:19 AM
skell
This is intended behavior, because the plate-depressing stage happens before firetraps' stage.

02-18-2016 at 04:44 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Cracked Orb game crash (Cracked Orb, Fire Trap, Powder Keg, and Pressure Plate all activated on the same turn sometimes crashes the game.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com