Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Dungeon of Broken Orbs : Beta : 1 South, 3 West
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2430
IP: Logged
icon Dungeon of Broken Orbs : Beta : 1 South, 3 West (0)  
Okay, I can't figure out how to get the Aumtlich into the middle without breaking too many orbs.

I think I want to get him caught in a trap on the west side, and walk to the right from there, but even if I could see how to maneuver him there I don't know how I'd manage that without him zapping one of the west orbs (which have to remain untouched.)

Can anyone who's made it through here offer some help?
11-23-2015 at 09:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
icon Re: Dungeon of Broken Orbs : Beta : 1 South, 3 West (0)  
Looking back at this room I sort of regret keeping it in the hold, even in the post mastery area.

So the story of the room is that it was designed around an aumtlich + broken orb idea I had (which I felt was really neat at the time, but have now forgotten). Once it was done I played it to make sure it worked and then I moved on to other rooms. But even back then I had a nudging feeling that finding the solution working through the room with fresh eyes would be kind of frustrating and heavily reliant on trial and error (as opposed to the backwards engineering of the solution I did when I built the room).

Anyway, later on I completely forgot the solution and I never solved the room again. It really frustrated me, but at that point I think on of the testers had actually solved it. So I made the conclusion that it was just a really hard but fair... fairish... hard room, and no DORD architect will ever feel comfortable with throwing away one of their toughest babies. (Maybe I was somewhat embarrassed to admit I didn't know how it worked as well). At the time moving it to the post mastery area felt like the perfect solution.

tl:dr Sorry this room exists and sorry this post won't help you solve it :blush

11-25-2015 at 04:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
icon Re: Dungeon of Broken Orbs : Beta : 1 South, 3 West (+1)  
I figured it out once I realized I was misinterpreting something due to the room layout.

Click here to view the secret text

11-25-2015 at 08:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kikuchiyo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
icon Re: Dungeon of Broken Orbs : Beta : 1 South, 3 West (0)  
Even with that insight, I'm struggling. I can get the aumtlich in the middle, but only via a diagonal route, but then it breaks too many orbs. It seems that it should get in from the west, but I can't set that up.

So what's the proper route?
11-13-2023 at 10:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Dungeon of Broken Orbs : Beta : 1 South, 3 West
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com