Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Brains consider a direct move across a diagonal chain possible
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Lucky Luc
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1215
IP: Logged

File: brainsnchains.png (109.5 KB)
Downloaded 289 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Brains consider a direct move across a diagonal chain possible (+1)  
Still using the 6060 build, but I don't think this has been reported so far, so probably it hasn't been fixed.

Consider the above situation: For the first two steps the golem acts smart and realizes it can't cross the diagonal gentryii chain, so it moves eastwards. Until it reaches the circled spot. Then it tries to move southeast instead.

I guess this is happening because the golem checks all the surrounding squares without first checking whether a move would actually be "brain-possible"?

Expected behaviour: The brain realizes the golem can't cross the chain even if it's directly next to it.
11-07-2015 at 07:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
icon Re: Brains consider a direct move across a diagonal chain possible (+1)  
This still happens in 5.1.0.6462.
02-18-2016 at 12:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
The problem is that the brain is being inconsistent about the diagonal chain.

If the golem is diagonally adjacent to you and unobstructed, it will move diagonally towards you. The brained golem in the example does not do that. It thinks there's an obstacle. But the moment it's next to the chain, it doesn't.

Either brains should be fooled by diagonal chains in the same way they're fooled by orthosquares, or they shouldn't be fooled by them at all.

I think it's reasonable for chains to break the pathfinding system, but if that's going to happen they should break it consistently, not only when the monster is right next to one.
02-18-2016 at 01:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Brains consider a direct move across a diagonal chain possible (0)  
So on further testing, this is actually an issue with Direct brained movement.

A brained roach can navigate its way around the chain. But golems, gel babies, and wubbas get stuck.

This suggests that the intention is that the diagonal chain is an obstacle, and the bug is that Direct-moving entities treat it as their preferred move being blocked.
02-18-2016 at 01:17 AM
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
icon Re: Brains consider a direct move across a diagonal chain possible (0)  
Is this possibly a wisp trail holdover?

I wish that man would stay away
02-18-2016 at 04:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Things fixed for the release candidate after 5.1.0.6462:
- Brained golems no longer get stuck on diagonal chains if they stand next to them.

The issue was caused by the fact, that even though gentryii chains' diagonals are brain aware obstacle, the sorting function which chooses which moves to try first was not aware of them. This lead to discrepancy with other elements in the game, because for example orthosquares are brain invisible obstacles, thus pathmaps go through them as if they didn't exist. This resulted in golems trying to step onto ortosquares diagonally and get stuck and that is okay.
But in case of the chains they are brain visible and rock golems treated them as such until standing next to them where their logic broke.

If my explanation makes no sense just know that it's fine now :)

02-18-2016 at 05:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Confirmed in 5.1.0.6478. Brained golems, gel babies, and wubbas now consider a diagonal gentryii chain to be an obstacle at all times.
02-26-2016 at 06:59 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Brains consider a direct move across a diagonal chain possible
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com