Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Conditional Halph (Can someone help me script this?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
IP: Logged
icon Conditional Halph (0)  
I'm attempting to create a custom monster-ish thing but I need some advice scripting it. What I'm trying to create is a Halph that will follow the player into the room exactly like a normal Halph, but only if a particular variable is in a particular state. (Let's call it "halphenter" = 1) Otherwise it doesnt appear. I also want it to only follow from particular entrances, perferably ones marked by placing an invisible NPC on them running the default script.

In case you need a refresher on how Halph entrances work, If on turn 0 the player is on a tile that is marked for Halph to follow, he will wait until turn 5, and then appear on that tile as soon as it's open. No need to help with following the player a few steps, it will do that automatically when executing the "turn into monster" command.

10-20-2015 at 08:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2379
icon Re: Conditional Halph (0)  
Maybe you could put a character on the square that halph would appear at, blocking him from showing up unless the var is set correctly.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
10-20-2015 at 08:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
Or, easier, just have the character ask:
Is it the first turn?
If so, is the player on my space?
If so, is the flag set?
If so, wait 5 then appear and turn into monster.
10-20-2015 at 09:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1527
The way I'd be inclined to handle the problem is to use a single NPC in each room whose first command is to check whether the player is "at" one of the entrances Halph should enter from and then exactly which tile he's in, and then run a 5-turn loop where it tries to either teleport itself there and "Turn into monster" or use Generate Entity Halph.

If you're saying you want to put an NPC at each tile Halph could possibly appear at (for your own map-visibility purposes I presume?) then you could put a simple script on each of those NPCs that essentially says "Is the player on top of me?" at turn 0, and if the answer is yes they can set a variable to say which tile the generating/halph-becoming NPC should go to, which would eliminate the need for said NPC to "find" the right tile in any way and allow it to only be the 5-turn loop of "trying" to appear.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

10-20-2015 at 09:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
I tried setting "_MyscriptX" and "_MyscriptY" to "_MyX" and "_MyY" respectively, but he only appears if the square in question is 0,0. I think I read bout a bug with those variables in the patch notes for 5.0.2 though, so I'll see if I can pull it off after that.

[Last edited by averagemoe at 10-20-2015 10:43 PM]
10-20-2015 at 10:40 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
averagemoe wrote:
I tried setting "_MyscriptX" and "_MyscriptY" to "_MyX" and "_MyY" respectively, but he only appears if the square in question is 0,0. I think I read bout a bug with those variables in the patch notes for 5.0.2 though, so I'll see if I can pull it off after that.
This isn't a bug. You can't set the position of a character to player's position because monster and player can't occupy the same square. Well, it might yet work incorrectly somehow in 5.0.1 but in the update it will just ignore the move. It may change one of the coordinates (the first you set) but not the other.
Nevermind :P.

[Last edited by skell at 10-21-2015 08:44 AM]
10-20-2015 at 11:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
skell wrote:
averagemoe wrote:
This isn't a bug. You can't set the position of a character to player's position because monster and player can't occupy the same square. Well, it might yet work incorrectly somehow in 5.0.1 but in the update it will just ignore the move. It may change one of the coordinates (the first you set) but not the other.
I think the problem here might be a mixup between _MyX and _X. The former refers to the NPCs location, the latter refers to the player's location. The variables _MyScriptX and _MyScriptY should be set to _X and _Y before attempting an AppearAt.

10-20-2015 at 11:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
My flow for this problem:

-On turn zero, is player on valid Halph Spawn tile? If yes, grab the player's coordinates (from _X and _Y) and save to temporary variables. Else, go to label at end of script (but don't call "End").
-Wait 5
-Is HalphFlag true? If yes, set _MyScriptX and _MyScriptY and attempt AppearAt until successful. Else, go to label at end of script (but don't call "End").

10-20-2015 at 11:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Conditional Halph (+1)  
RoboBob3000 wrote:
skell wrote:
averagemoe wrote:
I think the problem here might be a mixup between _MyX and _X. The former refers to the NPCs location, the latter refers to the player's location. The variables _MyScriptX and _MyScriptY should be set to _X and _Y before attempting an AppearAt.
Bah, you are right. Note to self: don't multitask.

10-21-2015 at 08:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
An update, I got it working. I'm not entirely sure the hold will ever actually be published, but at least I know how to make one of these things.

06-07-2016 at 05:50 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Conditional Halph (Can someone help me script this?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com