Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Trouble importing player profile
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
IP: Logged
icon Trouble importing player profile (0)  
So I was trying to get the update to TCB 5.0. I exported my player file, but I ran into problems doing that until I deleted Lavender Levels from my hold list. (It caused problems with the last import for reasons I don't understand, so I deleted it at that point and redownloaded it.)

Now I haven't been able to reimport it.

If I attempt to under my usual player profile, I get a "DROD has run out of memory" error message, which is followed up with a message that the save files have been merged (they haven't).

If I make a new profile and select that one, I'm able to start the importing process but DROD crashes partway through. Specifically, when the progress bar says "importing data", it gets about halfway through and then suddenly shuts down.

08-31-2015 at 10:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Trouble importing player profile (0)  
Sorry for the late reply and for the trouble. If this issue is still occurring, can you PM me a link to your .dat files with steps to reproduce this issue on my end? Thank you.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
12-10-2015 at 01:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Well, the whole reason I wanted to reimport was to get my TCB progress back after deleting the hold for the update. Since it seems there's another update coming up, I may as well wait for that before sending the files.

(for the record, I tried it again just now and it still didn't work)

Unless you think it will be helpful to send the files along sooner for debugging purposes.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 12-10-2015 04:39 AM]
12-10-2015 at 04:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
If there's a bug that needs fixing, then you'll need to send the files before 5.1 is released if you want the fix to be included in 5.1. Otherwise, you'll have to wait at least till 5.1.1 to have the issue fixed.

Edit: ohh...you mean the update to TCB, don't you. Hmm...well, it's probably still better to have this looked at and fixed sooner rather than later.

[Last edited by mrimer at 12-11-2015 04:39 AM]
12-11-2015 at 04:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
All right, I sent it along.
12-11-2015 at 05:20 AM
mrimer
Thank you. I've fixed the easy issue, where the game is telling you saves were imported when nothing got imported.

Now, the reason the player file isn't being imported is because the game wants to allocate a contiguous block of memory that's about 230MB in size. I'm guessing we're running up against 32-bit address space limitations, likely having to do with tracking the information loaded up into the current player profile in-game, which happens to be spread across the address space.

The easiest way to fix your issue would be to run a 64-bit version of DROD, e.g., on Linux or Mac. Sorry we don't have a 64-bit Windows version available yet. If you can gain access to one of those and copy your .dat and player files there, then the import process should work fine. The ultimate fix would be to build a 64-bit Windows version. I don't know how much work that would be using MSVS.

[Last edited by mrimer at 12-12-2015 06:28 AM]
12-12-2015 at 06:07 AM
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Trouble importing player profile (+2)  
I think I have a workaround that doesn't require getting on a Mac or Linux system, but before I go ahead with it, I just want to check if there's anything I should be careful of in this process:

-Copy DAT files to another directory as backup
-Delete most of my holds (probably just leave the official ones, since they're the ones I have to potentially delete and redownload later)
-Import the troublesome player file in; with fewer holds to compare saves with, it should be able to get through the process, getting my saves back
-Export player file after doing that, now I have one with far fewer holds in it (and among them are the TCB saves that I wanted)
-Move the backup DAT files back into the original directory, overwriting the current ones; this should give me my current holds and saves back
-Import the player file with only a few holds, it will only compare those so I get the TCB saves in my current profile

This should hopefully give me a player file that I can use any time an official hold is updated (other than TSS itself, or future SmS holds), one that's small enough to avoid memory problems. Is there anything I'm missing here that would stop this from working?
12-12-2015 at 03:27 PM
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Trouble importing player profile (+1)  
Update: I went through the above process (after a quick test where I backed up DATs, deleted one hold and then put the old DATs back) and it worked. The only issue I'm seeing is that two holds I mastered aren't showing 100%.

So, there's a workaround for anyone else having trouble importing a player profile because they're on Windows and have cleared more rooms than the import process can handle.
12-13-2015 at 01:30 AM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
mrimer wrote:
The easiest way to fix your issue would be to run a 64-bit version of DROD, e.g., on Linux or Mac. Sorry we don't have a 64-bit Windows version available yet. If you can gain access to one of those and copy your .dat and player files there, then the import process should work fine. The ultimate fix would be to build a 64-bit Windows version. I don't know how much work that would be using MSVS.
It seems from the docs to be fairly straightforward, although that's easy to say without having tried it:
How to: Configure Visual C++ Projects to Target 64-Bit Platforms
Common Visual C++ 64-bit Migration Issues

If it's easy enough to build one (even of 5.0.1), I'd be keen to test if it solves the export problem some people have been having ( http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=38449 ). Otherwise I might throw together a Linux VM over Christmas when I have some free time and try an export from that.

[Last edited by Tuttle at 12-14-2015 09:00 PM]
12-14-2015 at 08:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734

File: true story.jpg (12.2 KB)
Downloaded 173 times.
License: Public Domain
If it's programming and it sounds easy it's not easy.

If it is related to 64-bit it's even harder.

12-15-2015 at 09:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
Okay, so I couldn't wait until after Christmas.

Ran up an Ubuntu 64-bit VM quickly, installed DROD 5.0.1.6061, copied in my .dat files and successfully ran a full export. Tried the same export from my Windows host and it crashed as before. I'll update the other thread, but it looks like the other issue is Windows or 32-bit related as well. I'll try again with Ubuntu 32-bit and see what happens, but might be another night or two.
12-15-2015 at 10:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Dragon Fogel,
Good thinking! Yes, your method seems sound, and I'm glad it served as a workaround for you.

Good luck, Tuttle! Yes, this should work for you too.

12-15-2015 at 01:25 PM
mrimer
I'm optimistic the memory optimizations in 5.1.1 that impact, e.g., Lavender Levels, have addressed this issue.

If you're a player and still experiencing this issue in 5.1.0, please try the latest 5.1.1 dev build to confirm the issue has been fixed.

10-21-2020 at 11:18 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Trouble importing player profile
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com