Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Challenges : Beat the Slayer with the Lucky Blade (Second half of Tendry's Tale)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Odyssey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 124
IP: Logged
icon Beat the Slayer with the Lucky Blade (0)  
As the title says, beat the Slayer with the Lucky Blade.

My stats before the fight:

Click here to view the secret text

How I approached it:

[Last edited by Odyssey at 08-13-2015 09:58 PM]
08-13-2015 at 09:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4576
icon Re: Beat the Slayer with the Lucky Blade (+1)  
Okay, I'm going to have to ask: did you use the man in Homeland 11N3E to "hack" the Machines? I'm not sure this achievement is possible without, and I certainly don't think the stats you posted in "Beat the Archivist the hard way" are possible without. I'll give my reasoning: in my latest playthrough,

* I used the Machine in The Goblin Tribe twice (which is unavoidable) and got all the remaining boosts at the final altar.
* I managed to get the twentieth (3820 GR) upgrade, with only 230 GR over (and two more keys I could sell). The next upgrades would be 4220 and 4640.
* I finished with 328 base ATK, after taking the 3% boost after the final upgrade.
* My REP when I obtained the Lucky Blade was 5669. After obtaining it, the only things I killed with the RBS were five Aumtlich (100 GR each).
* At the end, there were no monsters left alive except the Wubba, the Slayer, the Archivist, one Seep, and some insignificant monsters behind doors on the first two levels.
* I didn't waste any money on keys in Pirate Lair 2S4W or 7S3W.

You managed to get 5 more base ATK, so, if you didn't hack the Machines, you must have got the 4220 upgrade. Okay, you would also have got a couple of upgrades at earlier Machines, which would allow you to save more keys than I did (they sell for 150 each), but I was very careful with my keys and the difference wouldn't be that much. You also claim to have done this with 2610 GR left over (1000 of which was from the Slayer), which really takes this out of the realm of possibility.

What really seals the deal is that you say "you'll notice that I have quite a lot of greckles left, and am about 200 or so short of getting another upgrade" (but the difference between 4220 and 2610 is 1610), and "Are two more attack upgrades possible? 4000 extra greckles is a huge ask, so I'm not sure." (I haven't played a hacked-Machines run enough to know what the costs are like in the endgame, but in a normal run, you'd be talking about the 4640 upgrade plus that 1610 difference, which is 6250. Anyway, I had nothing left alive in my endgame, so if you were playing the same run you wouldn't be unsure, you would know for certain that an additional upgrade is out of the question.)

I'm sorry to be a pain, but I want to know for certain so that I can know whether I've reached the best possible stats (for a normal run), or whether somehow you really did manage to optimise beyond this and I need to rethink the entire game.

Anyway, as I said, I've reached 328 base ATK (338 with the Lucky Blade), so the Slayer does 31878 damage. I have 21861 HP. That's enough to make me think the achievement might be possible in a normal run, by killing slightly fewer things with the Lucky Blade to preserve my HP a bit better. However, getting every possible upgrade is essential for this as the Slayer's DEF is so high, so there really isn't much wiggle room. One to come back to later, I think :P

02-27-2016 at 02:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar

File: Slayer.jpg (304.6 KB)
Downloaded 315 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Beat the Slayer with the Lucky Blade (+3)  
Well, I managed to achieve the challenge on a hacked-Machines run :P

[Last edited by Nuntar at 03-21-2016 01:40 AM]
03-21-2016 at 01:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DezzTech
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 327
icon Re: Beat the Slayer with the Lucky Blade (0)  
Oh wow, so when I said in the chat I could almost kill the slayer, apparently I was quite a bit off the stats necessary for that. Still, considering how I played (not very well) I still think it could be just barely possible without hacking the machines. I think I'm going to make some attempts at that once 1.2.6 gets released on steam.

03-21-2016 at 09:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar

File: Slayer2.jpg (172.4 KB)
Downloaded 265 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Beat the Slayer with the Lucky Blade (+2)  
Redone with 1800 GR in hand previous to the fight -- enough to afford the 22nd altar boost afterwards :D

That means that, after switching back to the RBS, my ATK is 569, almost certainly the highest it's possible to obtain in Tendry's Tale. This is, of course, still with hacked Machines. I think the highest possible in a normal run is 548, from two fewer Machine uses and a consequent -1 to the value of the 3% boost.

And I have a high score to back this up ;)

Unfortunately, even with this much ATK, the Archivist's expected damage is 6132, which makes Lucky Blading the Slayer and killing the Archivist in the same run a long way out of reach. I would guess that it simply can't be done with any optimisation.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 03-26-2016 02:34 AM]
03-26-2016 at 02:28 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Challenges : Beat the Slayer with the Lucky Blade (Second half of Tendry's Tale)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com