Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Issue exporting custom hold on compiled KDD source
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jackcmedia
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged
icon Issue exporting custom hold on compiled KDD source (+3)  
Hi all,

I'm interesting in game development and figured out I may learn a lot about gamedev in general, and DROD in particular, if I were to compile and tweak the source code.

Since I only own KDD2.0 and JtRH, I downloaded the source for the DROD Engine 2.0 and compiled it following a guide by fellow forumite Andy101, titled "A guide to compiling DROD on Windows" (can't post links, yay!!!). The binary comes out fine and I put it in a copy of my KDD2.0 installation folder, to use the same assets.

The thing is, I'm currently interested in how the game exports holds and preserves all the data in a coherent structure, so I decided to create a custom hold with a mostly empty room and a couple of obstacles.

I exported it, and decided to load it on the original KDD2.0, but it complains the file is corrupted. I recreated the same hold in KDD2.0 and exported it, which can't be imported by my compiled binary. A binary diff shows me that the files are largely different.

I have no idea on why this is happening. My initial suspect was the version of zlib I am compiling against but, thinking about it, that wouldn't make any sense as compressed data should be inflated by zlib, regardless of which version generated it.

I compiled this using Dev-C++ with the following libraries:

· SDL 1.2.11
· SDL_ttf 2.0.8
· zlib 1.2.3
· libcurl 7.15.0
· Expat 2.0.0
· FMOD 3.75
· libjpeg 6b-4
· libpng 1.2.12

Any idea why my compiled binary exports holds differently than the official KDD2.0 binary?
06-21-2015 at 08:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
IP: Logged
icon Re: Issue exporting custom hold on compiled KDD source (0)  
Sorry for taking a long time to reply. If you think it's a third-party library at fault, then you missed the relevant one, which is Metakit. They haven't upgraded from 2.4.9.7 for a long time, though, so I'm guessing you have that version already.

I would presume that your game source is different than the published build, but wouldn't have a clue what that difference might be. Maybe you're compiling a 64-bit build or something, while DROD source currently only supports 32-bit?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-09-2015 at 10:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Issue exporting custom hold on compiled KDD source
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com