Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : My first hold- the path of JoeyJoeJoe Shabadoo (It starts miscellaneous, then gets into a storyline.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Robcoconaut
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
IP: Logged

File: The Plight of serrelliam.hold (24.9 KB)
Downloaded 124 times.
License: Other
icon My first hold- the path of JoeyJoeJoe Shabadoo (+4)  
Well, it's my first hold, so lots of criticism welcome.

:w00t :w00t

10-12-2004 at 09:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: My first hold- the path of JoeyJoeJoe Shabadoo (+2)  
After a quick play of the hold, I've got a few comments.

This hold is certainly promising - it's nice to see some newer DROD players on the Architect's board making holds as well as the veterans.

At the moment, the hold is relatively easy in some respects - the large hordes can be killed fairly easily in the rooms I've played, The Entrance, 1S 1S 1E, 1S 2E and 2S 1E (all on level 1) by hiding behind walls or other monsters to block the roaches from all getting to you at once.

In the Entrance, the green door can be diagonally bypassed, making it unnecessary, so it might be a good idea to move it directly in front of the door.

For 1S 1E, it seems your intended idea doesn't work, as the brain is inactivated by invisibility - it only senses you when it can smell you. Perhaps more (inaccessible) brains could be added in more locations so you are always in smelling range of them. They could be made accessible at the end by having an orb that opens their chambers in the last room.

For 1S 2E, the chamber doors can be toggled, which makes it very easy to split the horde up into smaller groups. Leaving them as opening orbs only should make it more challenging.

2S 1E is quite easy, if you use the roach queens as monster obstructions, but the lack of a checkpoint there makes it frustrating if you die and have to restart. Also, you cannot return to 1N 1E because the force arrows block your progress.

However, so far, it's promising, although not very challenging as yet. For a hold of the size as it is (I estimate 3-5 levels, about 10-15 rooms per level?), having Anyone Edit status for testing purposes would be very useful, as it allows us to test all the rooms regardless of bugs, and is also useful for quick scanning if we don't have much time.

Good luck with the rest of it, and I'll play more when I have the time.

Incidentally, from the style of the rooms so far, I guess the level was heavily based on Dugan's Level 2. Would I be right?

10-12-2004 at 10:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: My first hold- the path of JoeyJoeJoe Shabadoo (0)  
I haven't played the hold yet, but you get +1 just for the name of it. Actually made me laugh out loud.

10-13-2004 at 04:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
The path begins 1S is the end of the line. Theres nothing you can do. Mimics cannot be placed on open door squares so you can't get past the room.
10-13-2004 at 07:14 AM
Robcoconaut

File: The Plight of serrelliam.hold (25.1 KB)
Downloaded 69 times.
License: Other
icon Re: My first hold- the path of JoeyJoeJoe Shabadoo (+3)  
Okay, I fixed the bugs that everyone pointed out, the rooms should all be doable.
There isn't reallly much after The path begins 1S, I Kinda ran out of ideas. I have to play a few more levels of other stuff to get some inspirationy stuff.

Dimono- what can I say, I aim to please!

10-13-2004 at 09:18 PM
Robcoconaut
I'm just curious, how do you change the direction of force arrows and the eyes in the editor?
I have a really good idea and it won't work because I can't toggle directions.

Any help welcome!!!!!

10-21-2004 at 05:09 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: My first hold- the path of JoeyJoeJoe Shabadoo (+1)  
Try to press F1 during the game to see help of all possible things in the game!

The help file wrote:

Setting Object Orientation
For certain objects, their orientation is significant (such as force arrows, monsters, and the player's starting position). Use the "Turn clockwise" and "Turn counter-clockwise" keys or the mouse wheel to rotate the way objects will be placed. While holding down the left mouse button, the orientation of the object being placed can be changed until the mouse button is released.
Meaning that you can use "Q" and "W" keys to turn things or IMO easier mouse wheel turning (if you have one)

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:10-21-2004 at 05:14 PM]
10-21-2004 at 05:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : My first hold- the path of JoeyJoeJoe Shabadoo (It starts miscellaneous, then gets into a storyline.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com