Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Multiple Ending Texts
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
IP: Logged
icon Multiple Ending Texts (+1)  
Right now, holds only allow for one ending text, even if there are multiple endings. This is obviously rather limiting - if you have a story with multiple endings, it means you have to resort to a more generic text rather than being able to reference the specific ending that happened.

Of course, since the ending text is closely tied to conquering status and that has effects of its own, this would take some thought. Perhaps each hold would have a "main" ending text, and other endings could be set to count as conquering or not at architect discretion? This would allow for bad endings or joke endings. (For instance, you could immediately take a stairway up at the start of a hold and get text that says "Beethro decided the whole thing was too much trouble and went home", and return to the title screen, but the hold doesn't count as conquered.)
02-20-2015 at 12:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
icon Re: Multiple Ending Texts (+2)  
This can actually already be done, though somewhat clumsily. Using string variables, you can change the ending text based on the player's actions.
02-20-2015 at 01:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Shendy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 132
Dragon Fogel wrote:
...other endings could be set to count as conquering or not at architect discretion.

But I don't think this can be scripted, though.
02-24-2015 at 02:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
To be fair, technically you could simulate it by having it drop you back to the same room you get the "ending" in (or before that if you do cutscenes for the fake ending); the only difference is you wouldn't go back to the title screen, which would potentially be awkward anyways with how continuing works after completing a hold.

So I suppose this is all technically possible to do already and this is just a request to look into making it more convenient.
02-24-2015 at 05:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Multiple Ending Texts (0)  
I don't see this being implemented - work-value ratio and there is sensible scripted solution for half of the solution.

11-24-2020 at 12:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Multiple Ending Texts
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com