Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Graphical problem with falling bridges
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Moo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 224
IP: Logged
icon Graphical problem with falling bridges (+1)  
When a bridge falls (into pit), and there is a player-like (player, clone, temporal clone) on it, the bridge is drawn over the top of the tarstuff explosion from any tarstuff on the bridge, and over the falling player. Falling briar is also drawn as single-square blocks (this). If there's no player on it when it falls, everything is drawn as expected.
(In 3.0 and 4.0 the problem was even worse; the bridge, and anything on it that should fall, disappear completely.)

While I'm talking about bridges... This is still the case. Except for the active player, weapons vanish while falling.
02-17-2015 at 02:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
reyll3
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33
icon Re: Graphical problem with falling bridges (0)  
This also seems to happen with a gentryii that spans multiple bridges while you make multiple bridges fall. A bit far fetched, but it fits in there.

02-23-2015 at 05:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Graphical problem with falling bridges (+2)  
I've fixed the falling briar bug PR

But I am requesting an example hold that showcases the gentryii and the tarstuff explosion problems, otherwise I'll assume it's working as intended now.

10-05-2020 at 09:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670

File: BUG REPORT Gentryii falling graphics.hold (1010 bytes)
Downloaded 36 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Graphical problem with falling bridges (+2)  
Can confirm in 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-16 that brair is drawn correctly when on a bridge that is dropped at the same time as a player or player-like critical character.

Can also confirm that tarstuff explosions seem OK.

Gentryii have all sorts of graphical issues when dropped from bridges however. See the attached example hold.
10-17-2020 at 08:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734

File: Chains.png (132.5 KB)
Downloaded 78 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Graphical problem with falling bridges (+1)  
kieranmillar wrote:
Gentryii have all sorts of graphical issues when dropped from bridges however. See the attached example hold.

So there are two issues:
1. Random swords
2. Disconnecting/disappearing chains happening across different bridges

I've fixed #1, but #2 is really beyond fixing - it depends on the fall order of the bridges. If a bridge with the head falls first, then the chain will not appear on the other bridges, because by then Gentryii will be fully disappeared.
If a bridge with the later part of the chain falls first, then the when the one with the earlier part of the chain falls, the chain is already disconnected from the part that fell.

See here:

Edit: PR

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-18-2020 02:54 PM]
10-18-2020 at 10:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
Can confirm that random swords appearing is fixed in 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-18.

The chains breaking / vanishing when the chain stretches across multiple bridges still exists but skell has acknowledged above that this probably won't be fixed, so that's OK. I think gentryii are the only monster that can exist on multiple separate bridges at the same time, so no surprise that the game can't handle this. I also think it's exceptionally unlikely to show up in practice, to have a gentryii span multiple bridges and have them fall at the same time.
10-18-2020 at 03:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
Snakes and rock giants can be on multiple bridges - they just need to be on another tile in between. (But that tile can be a platform so it doesn't support the bridge.)

This processes too fast for me to notice any oddities in 5.1.0, but I don't know how it would look on slower systems. Probably not any worse than the gentryii.
10-18-2020 at 04:40 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Graphical problem with falling bridges
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com