Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Stone giants, shallow water and the new weapons
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kallor
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 277
IP: Logged
icon Stone giants, shallow water and the new weapons (+2)  
Using a spear, a pick-axe or a dagger to stab a stone giant on shallow water only kills the giant, but none of the four golems it leaves behind (like the giant had died on a hot tile).

With sword, one of the golems immediately dies and makes a stepping stone.

01-05-2015 at 09:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2379
icon Re: Stone giants, shallow water and the new weapons (0)  
Is it at all possible that this was intended?

Seems you could make some fun rooms using this quirk.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
01-06-2015 at 08:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
It might. The function of all the new weapons is in the movement of them, as to a sword, death at anytime.

I wish that man would stay away
01-06-2015 at 09:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kallor
Rank Points: 277
icon Re: Stone giants, shallow water and the new weapons (+1)  
Well I don't see why the shallow water should make a difference, then. One of the golems still dies if you stab a stone giant with a spear on a normal floor for example.

On the other hand, the caber is deadly like the sword is and does kill a golem when stabbing a giant on shallow water, like the sword does. So this property is probably behind the reason as you said.

However, explaining how exactly the game rules imply some odd behavior without programming errors is not the same as resolving the issue, as I believe the majority of players would never see that coming and might consider it as a bug. It's weird and confusing so I advice not to design puzzles around this "quirk" at least, if you want to break a giant use hot ties instead.

01-07-2015 at 10:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
To be fair, dagger has no movement property and still splits giants, so it's not simply that unintuitive explanation. I would say kill the behavior for all weapons since in my head I'd like to treat weapon kills with all weapons as the same.

01-07-2015 at 04:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Skell, can you chime in here with how you're planning to fix this? Thanks!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-07-2015 at 02:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
mrimer wrote:
Skell, can you chime in here with how you're planning to fix this? Thanks!
Right. I've already solved it per se, since the commit has been made to my fork.

The issue was caused by a small omission in the code which wouldn't consider dagger's tip for killing newly created rock golems IF the underlying floor was shallow water. After the fix, killing a rock giant with a dagger will automatically create stepping stone on the attacked tile if said tile is a shallow water.

02-07-2015 at 11:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
Rank Points: 872

File: Shallow Water Dagger Bugs.hold (1.3 KB)
Downloaded 25 times.
License: Public Domain
Beethro simply stabbing something with a dagger seems to work just as expected in 5.0.2, but there are some problems with other entities, as well as Beethro himself being pushed. See the two rooms in attached hold.

[Last edited by bomber50 at 07-26-2015 06:07 PM]
07-26-2015 at 06:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
adS
Rank Points: 214
This is confusing, indeed :)

adS

07-29-2015 at 10:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
bomber50 wrote:
Beethro simply stabbing something with a dagger seems to work just as expected in 5.0.2, but there are some problems with other entities, as well as Beethro himself being pushed. See the two rooms in attached hold.

Very good catch. Fixed all cases in 5.0.2.1004

07-29-2015 at 07:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
A stepping stone in 5.0.2.1004 seems to always be made when it should when a rock giant is stabbed by a dagger over shallow water.
08-10-2015 at 09:34 PM
hyperme
Rank Points: 1055
All four alternate weapons now produce a stepping stone after hitting a Rock Giant on Shallow Water.

(Tested in 5.0.2.1004)

08-13-2015 at 07:21 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Stone giants, shallow water and the new weapons
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com