Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Tarstuff and fluff doesn't grow over disabled force arrows.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
IP: Logged
icon Tarstuff and fluff doesn't grow over disabled force arrows. (0)  
I've been playing around with toggleable force arrows a lot and was surprised when I put some force arrows onto pressure plates I wanted to prevent some mud from growing onto, only to discover it still didn't grow after turning off the arrows.

This applies to all three types of tarstuff, and applies whether the arrows are disabled to begin with or whether an orb or pressure plate turns them off. It also applies to fluff.

This feels unintended; mimics, clones, and decoys can all be placed on disabled force arrows, and roach queens spawn onto them. Briar also grows unimpeded by disabled force arrows pointing in the opposite direction.

I think there might actually not be any rooms affected by this, although obviously I haven't played through every 5.0 hold.

Apologies if this has been brought up before and I just didn't notice it.
12-09-2014 at 06:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
icon Re: Tarstuff and fluff doesn't grow over disabled force arrows. (+1)  
Tarstuff just doesn't grow on to force arrows, period. To change this might lead to the odder situation where turning force arrows back on cuts tar.
12-09-2014 at 09:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
icon Re: Tarstuff and fluff doesn't grow over disabled force arrows. (0)  
Can preplaced tarstuff be on top of force arrows (either enabled or disabled)? I don't have access to the editor right now, so I can't check myself.

If the answer is no, then it may simply have been a design decision to never allow tarstuff on arrows. If tarstuff was on top of a disabled force arrow that's later turned on, this would lead to unexpected behavior.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
12-09-2014 at 09:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
Tar can exist on arrows. Curiously, this seems to occur only twice in the main holds (though I may have missed some), in two rooms of TRA. So I would not expect turning back on an arrow under tar to do anything (and indeed, it doesn't).

This behaviour has been noticed before, in bomber50's disabled arrows tutorial in Architecture, though he evidently didn't consider it a bug. I agree that it's odd -- in every other respect, a disabled arrow is the same as normal floor -- and it's one of those exceptional cases I talked about that's annoying because it increases the number of rules you have to remember. So I would prefer it to be changed, for what that's worth.

12-09-2014 at 11:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Heh. Didn't think about preplacing it. In that case, I'm also somewhat in favour of changing it.
12-10-2014 at 03:14 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
I am in favor of making disabled force arrows work exactly as if there were no arrows there at all. We're currently having a discussion about it in the dev boards and waiting for input from Mike or TFMurphy to know if it was intended or an oversight and if they are okay with changing this.

01-27-2015 at 09:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Tarstuff and fluff doesn't grow over disabled force arrows. (+2)  
Since Mike has approved the code change for this I am assuming that's the behavior we're going to go with.

In 5.0.2, all forms of tarstuff will grow over disabled force arrows.

02-07-2015 at 12:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
Tested in 5.0.2, and this issue appears to have been fixed. Tar, mud, gel and fluff all will grow on to disabled force arrows, and will not grow on to enabled force arrows.
07-26-2015 at 05:20 PM
adS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 214
Confirmed

adS

07-27-2015 at 03:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Tarstuff and fluff doesn't grow over disabled force arrows.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com