Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : The rating system (It's dead.)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon Re: The rating system (+2)  
DiMono wrote:
I think Drizzo is living proof that new guys can make it too. Dude's up to about 180 or something now, and he joined after modpoints became popular.
Yeah...I kinda like that too, having made my first post on March 27 '04 and now being up to 353. If you constantly worry about what people will think about your posts, then, no offense, you have some serious self-esteem issues. No one will like everything you write, admittadly, but you can't let that stop you. So what if you ask a stupid question? If you really don't know the answer, the people here will help you. And besides - If you can't laugh at yourself, what gives you the right to laugh at others? That's my opinion, anyway.

10-05-2004 at 12:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
icon Re: The rating system (+1)  
eytanz wrote:
rowrow wrote:
Some older users ignore newer users.Why? Because they barely have any points.

What? Do you really feel that way? If so, that's a far more serious problem IMO than anything mentioned above.

There is a large amount of elitism here on the forum. I wouldn't say it's for this reason, though. For example, for most of the regulars, talking about someone who did something wrong, like bringing up an old post (and they didn't know that they shouldn't have) is referred to only as "this user" or something similar.

On the H+S board, Eytanz's and Oneiromancer's posts, without fail, almost always get modded up, while I don't see many others. And I do not "have a lot of points". Though my rating was high because I as here before, I have only ever received 20-30. I agree that people don't look at amounts of posts, but they certainly look at whether they like the person or not, and things like that.

One possibility that I think could work is to have a checkbox or something for each post saying "I like this post!" Then, the person gets a mod point for every 5 people who check, which would work out about the same because it wouldn't cost anything.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
10-05-2004 at 01:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: The rating system (0)  
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
eytanz wrote:
rowrow wrote:
Some older users ignore newer users.Why? Because they barely have any points.

What? Do you really feel that way? If so, that's a far more serious problem IMO than anything mentioned above.

There is a large amount of elitism here on the forum. I wouldn't say it's for this reason, though. For example, for most of the regulars, talking about someone who did something wrong, like bringing up an old post (and they didn't know that they shouldn't have) is referred to only as "this user" or something similar.

On the H+S board, Eytanz's and Oneiromancer's posts, without fail, almost always get modded up, while I don't see many others.

According to the search feature, I made 11 posts on the H+S board since the beginning of August. Only 1 of them was modded +1. That's 9% or so.

In the same period, Oneiromancer did better - he made 17 posts on the H+S forum. of which 8 were modded +1. That's just under 50%.

On the other hand, in the last two months you made 5 posts on the H+S board. 4 of them were modded +1. That's 80% of your posts.

If there's a bias, I don't think it's against you.

And I do not "have a lot of points". Though my rating was high because I as here before, I have only ever received 20-30.

Your rank score is 606 (or was, because after writing this post I went and modded your post up 1 point for the idea in the end). You started with 500. That means you received 106. Given that you also were modded down occasionally, I think the number of positive mods you got must have been closer to 150.

One possibility that I think could work is to have a checkbox or something for each post saying "I like this post!" Then, the person gets a mod point for every 5 people who check, which would work out about the same because it wouldn't cost anything.

That's actually a very good idea, if it can be done in a non-obtrusive manner (i.e. without taking much screen space).

[Edited by eytanz at Local Time:10-05-2004 at 02:18 AM]

10-05-2004 at 02:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Red Hawk was at about 540 before he got modded up for his Architect's Toolkit article, and he only got modded down about 10 times total... not nearly as many as me :P That means he's been modded up about 50 times total.

Again though, I'm sure it doesn't change how you go about your day, so why fret?

10-05-2004 at 03:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Ah... I wasn't aware of that. Though, most of my rank points don't come from forum posts either.

10-05-2004 at 03:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
DiMono wrote:
Red Hawk was at about 540 before he got modded up for his Architect's Toolkit article, and he only got modded down about 10 times total... not nearly as many as me :P That means he's been modded up about 50 times total.
DiMono: 14 posts modded negatively, for a sum of -22.
The_Red_Hawk: 21 posts modded negatively, for a sum of -24.

10-05-2004 at 03:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
Schik wrote:
DiMono: 14 posts modded negatively, for a sum of -22.
The_Red_Hawk: 21 posts modded negatively, for a sum of -24.
Really? Wow. I thought I was way more disliked than Hawk. Oh well, at least I still have the single most negatively modded post in existence. And it's here!

10-05-2004 at 04:40 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Hey, guys, don't feel too bad about getting modded down. All I have to do is make like I'm going to talk about JtRH and then decide against it to get the negative mods flying.

I'd use the word 'petty', but then I don't want to look like a nasty person.

Matt

10-05-2004 at 03:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
What did that post say, DiMono? pleeease can you PM me? (and can you say how many mod points you have left)
10-05-2004 at 08:32 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Now, I don't really see that we have a problem here. (When in doubt, repeat to yourself "Rank points do not matter.") But just for kicks, I gave +50 mod points to everyone who has made more than one post. In a week or so, I plan to do just the opposite: subtract 50 mod points. So spend'em now, or spend'em never! You can use all 50 for modding this post down if you want.

-Erik

10-05-2004 at 09:16 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
wackhead_uk wrote:
What did that post say, DiMono? pleeease can you PM me? (and can you say how many mod points you have left)
Oh that's right, I dumped the text after it got modded down... and then it got modded down again. The thread was about names for people who raise tar, and they all included the word tar, and my post included the word retarted.

10-05-2004 at 09:21 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
DiMono wrote:
wackhead_uk wrote:
Oh that's right, I dumped the text after it got modded down... and then it got modded down again. The thread was about names for people who raise tar, and they all included the word tar, and my post included the word retarted.

Well, since it doesn't actually say what it originally did, -5 is a bit too low, I would think, so I modded it up thrice, since I've got a quite a few spare unused mods.

However, the comment remaining isn't the nicest that could be made, so that's why I didn't re-zero it.

10-05-2004 at 09:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
agaricus5 wrote:
Well, since it doesn't actually say what it originally did, -5 is a bit too low, I would think, so I modded it up thrice, since I've got a quite a few spare unused mods.
Yeah, I actually saw that as it was happening. Thank you muchly, very kind. I'm a little upset that I no longer have a massive -5 ranking though... oh well, at least I still have a -4! :D

10-05-2004 at 09:28 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
That's impressive :D
I don't have a single negatively rated post. Well, I guess some people just can't tell bad jokes ;)
10-05-2004 at 09:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Doom wrote:
That's impressive :D
I don't have a single negatively rated post. Well, I guess some people just can't tell bad jokes ;)
Do you want one? :D

10-05-2004 at 09:42 PM
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
ErikH2000 wrote:
But just for kicks, I gave +50 mod points to everyone who has In a week or so, I plan to do just the opposite: subtract 50 mod points. So spend'em now, or spend'em never! You can use all 50 for modding this post down if you want.
-Erik
But if you take 50 points down,then we will be losing some(or all) of our original mod points.So whats the difference when we use them its as if we never got any. :huh :huh :unsure

10-06-2004 at 05:33 AM
DiMono
ErikH2000 wrote:
Now, I don't really see that we have a problem here. (When in doubt, repeat to yourself "Rank points do not matter.") But just for kicks, I gave +50 mod points to everyone who has made more than one post. In a week or so, I plan to do just the opposite: subtract 50 mod points. So spend'em now, or spend'em never! You can use all 50 for modding this post down if you want.

-Erik
Are you going to just drop everyone's mod point count by 50, or will that be 50 - how many we spent since we received them? That could make quite a difference, especially for people who have a few saved up.

10-06-2004 at 05:37 AM
ErikH2000
rowrow wrote:
But if you take 50 points down,then we will be losing some(or all) of our original mod points.So whats the difference when we use them its as if we never got any. :huh :huh :unsure
If you don't spend your 50 extra mod points, you will definitely be exactly where you left off. The same can be said if you spend any amount of mod points that leaves you with a remaining balance of mod points that is 50 or greater. However, since I won't reduce your mod points to a negative amount you will come out ahead as long as you spend all of your mod points or at least have a mod point balance less than 50.

If none of that makes any sense, just do what you want and you will certainly be no worse off than you were before.

-Erik

10-06-2004 at 06:29 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
DiMono wrote:
Are you going to just drop everyone's mod point count by 50, or will that be 50 - how many we spent since we received them? That could make quite a difference, especially for people who have a few saved up.
Everyone who I gave 50 mod points to will later have 50 mod points taken away, but their mod point balance will not drop below zero. The amount you spend is not taken into account.

-Erik

10-06-2004 at 06:31 AM
wackhead_uk
yikes!

What DAY will you take them away? I need them for my scavenger hunt!
10-06-2004 at 11:03 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
I tweaked the point cost for multiple mods on a single post - I basically halved how quickly the cost grew. So:

Mod   Old Cost     New Cost
+1       2            2
+2       3            2
+3       4            3
+4       5            3
+5       6            4

etc, etc.

10-06-2004 at 01:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
Thank you, merciful Schik. Isn't math fun?

10-06-2004 at 01:53 PM
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
ErikH2000 wrote:

-Erik
Thanx Erik soo much for those mod points, I am giving them out like mad. :D You should do this more often :D :D :D
The beggining of today I had abot 60 now I have about 12 :D
You can tell that I love this smiley. :D
Edit: woohoo I finished all my mod points yipee.

[Edited by rowrow at Local Time:10-07-2004 at 12:14 AM] :D

[Edited by rowrow at Local Time:10-07-2004 at 12:22 AM]

10-07-2004 at 12:11 AM
ErikH2000
wackhead_uk wrote:
What DAY will you take them away? I need them for my scavenger hunt!
I don't want to say an exact day, because then it's something I have to try too hard to remember. Just sometime next week.

-Erik

10-07-2004 at 01:04 AM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
0.o Wow. All this from one little post? It's like watching a crystal grow...

Anywhoo, since I am posting and people are modding me up again I've come up with another idea: People ratings and reps. Like a little 'who's who on DROD.net/forum' kinda page. It could be put up by one person or it could have an elaborate voting system to categorize people. Like 'n00b', 'little bugger', 'demigod', 'The Personell Officer Who Hired God', 'Squeazel' and that kind of thing. We've got too many people for the current rating system, and the really old coots have outgrown it (no offense meant to said coots)

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
10-07-2004 at 05:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
joker5 wrote:
Anywhoo, since I am posting and people are modding me up again I've come up with another idea: People ratings and reps. Like a little 'who's who on DROD.net/forum' kinda page. It could be put up by one person or it could have an elaborate voting system to categorize people. Like 'n00b', 'little bugger', 'demigod', 'The Personell Officer Who Hired God', 'Squeazel' and that kind of thing. We've got too many people for the current rating system, and the really old coots have outgrown it (no offense meant to said coots)

~joker5

Please no!

This is exactly the thing this entire thread is trying to avoid.

If we start placing even more emphasis on the ranking system like this, it's going to make it even worse. The thing is, we will now be attaching the significance of your percieved personality to the system, so in this system, people will be worried not only about post quality and popularity, but also about their personal image. A system like this will just cause more problems in the sense that people will then try to impress each other in terms of who is more "cool" than others, in order to get a better rating. Plus, classifying people in accordance to their personality is a sort of segregation process. Eventually, we might end up with several groups of people on the Forum, like one for "newbies", and one for "veterans", and so on.

The DROD Forum is trying to keep us all equal in terms of who we are, and the importance of what we have to say. This system, unfortunately, goes directly against this idea.

10-07-2004 at 07:48 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
One thing that I will ask here is for 2 more titles in between MD and Smiter and another between Smiter & SM. Waiting 200 mods can get boring after awhile, and it would bring a bit more variety to the system

200 mods - Orange - "Smiter Apprentice"
400 mods - Red - "Experienced Swordsman"

Just a suggestion...

10-08-2004 at 12:30 AM
DiMono
I do seem to recall the mighty Matt saying at one point that he would be shuffling the rankings around a little once the mod system got settled in. I think that would be a pretty good addition.

10-08-2004 at 04:07 AM
wackhead_uk
Well the leap between master delver and smiter is a bit big... It would help to know that you weren't just stuck in a rank that you wont be able to get out of for ages...
10-08-2004 at 03:57 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I don't know, the vast difference between the rankings nowadays means that people get bored with the ranking system and start to pay their current rank no heed. I think this is something to be encouraged.

To nip a few potential ideas in the bud, we'll also not be attaching any extra features to what ranking you are or having more than one set of ranks. Presumably you are all human beings, and one of the icky and yet interesting things about human beings is that they can't be easily classified. Our little rank system is purely intended to give some sort of indication as to the impact a person has made on the DROD community. The sort of impact that might be is far harder a task, and one that leaves people open to sterotype.

Matt

10-09-2004 at 10:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : The rating system (It's dead.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com