Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : DROD changing input language on non-US computers (KDD (2.0.16) and TSS (5.0.1.6060) both confirmed)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
SirPrimalform
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged
icon DROD changing input language on non-US computers (+1)  
This is a pretty strange one, but I've tested and tried and it's definitely DROD that's doing it.

When I finish playing DROD: KDD and return to my desktop, there's a little "ENG" button in the tray. Clicking it gives me a choice between UK English and US English. UK English is meant to be there as I am from the UK, have Windows set to UK English and use a UK Keyboard. Also, I'm using Windows 8.1 if that is pertinent.

US English doesn't belong there... in fact the button doesn't belong there because I have only chosen one language. When I go into Windows language options, the only thing in the list is UK English but the button with its choice of US English persists. The only way I have found to get rid of this is to manually add and then remove US English from the list.
I guess I have to do this because the list hasn't updated since US English was activated and so I have to add it to be able to remove it.

This isn't a big deal, but it's been annoying me for the past few weeks and I've finally worked out the culprit. It started when I started playing DROD and only DROD seems to cause it.

Does anyone know if there's anything weird about the way DROD reads keyboard input? As best I can tell, it's changing my keyboard layout to US even though all the keys the game uses are the same on a UK layout?

I'd be interested to hear from any French users (or any other users of AZERTY) as to whether the sword is rotated by Q and W (in their AZERTY locations) or by A and Z (being in the location of Q and W on a QWERTY).

While by no means urgent, it'd be nice if this was fixed because it's really starting to get annoying.

[Last edited by SirPrimalform at 10-15-2014 05:47 PM : Update title]
10-12-2014 at 03:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1545
icon Re: DROD: KDD (2.0.16) changing input language (+1)  
Well I can confirm that 5.0.1.6060 does the same thing on my Windows 8.1 laptop. I'd noticed it recently but hadn't joined the dots -- I don't use this machine much except when I'm travelling.

The laptop is normally configured for English (Australia), but running DROD adds the language icon with an English (United States) option. (The icon appears immediately when DROD starts, not just when it's closed).

I haven't been jumping through hoops to remove it though -- it just goes away after a reboot.

[Last edited by Tuttle at 10-12-2014 05:19 AM]
10-12-2014 at 05:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
SirPrimalform
icon Re: DROD: KDD (2.0.16) changing input language (0)  
Tuttle wrote:
Well I can confirm that 5.0.1.6060 does the same thing on my Windows 8.1 laptop. I'd noticed it recently but hadn't joined the dots -- I don't use this machine much except when I'm travelling.

The laptop is normally configured for English (Australia), but running DROD adds the language icon with an English (United States) option. (The icon appears immediately when DROD starts, not just when it's closed).

Hey, thanks for the confirmation that it's not just some oddity of my system. You're right, it appears as the game is loading!

My guess is that DROD is changing the system language, but I wonder if that's really necessary... I guess it's not a situation that the devs would pick up on if their machines are all US-English.
10-12-2014 at 05:20 AM
SirPrimalform
icon Re: DROD changing input language on non-US computers (0)  
Updated the thread title to reflect the fact that its not just KDD causing the problem.
10-15-2014 at 05:48 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: DROD changing input language on non-US computers (0)  
Can anyone reproduce this on the latest dev build of the game?

[Edit: Note that DROD is linking to SDL2 now, so this issue might well have been resolved. Will need a player experiencing this issue previously to confirm. -- mrimer]

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-29-2020 05:01 PM]
10-29-2020 at 10:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : DROD changing input language on non-US computers (KDD (2.0.16) and TSS (5.0.1.6060) both confirmed)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com