Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Agen (Version 9.2)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
IP: Logged

File: Agen.hold (24.2 KB)
Downloaded 172 times.
License: Other
icon Agen (+2)  
I'm sorry. Really, I am.

Anyway, it's only the first two levels, and It is my first attempt at a proper hold.

Update: It is now possible to do the mazes!

Update: More rooms.

Update: Almost finished level 3.

Update: A new level, full of tricks and traps!

Update: Fixed bugs and made one room harder! Oh joy.

Update: Another few bug fixes and I know that the 2nd level is incomplete, its for a bug report, really.

Update: It is possible now...I though it was before, but apparently not. so, here it is. version 9. version 10 may be the last. and I may try to remove some of the more annoying scrolls in it. I hope this is the right version...

Update: Accidentally had a stair bug on the last one I introduced - now fixed.

Update: TRivial solution fixed?

Look at the last post on this thread before downloading!

[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:10-02-2004 at 06:22 PM]
[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:10-05-2004 at 08:13 PM]
[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:10-05-2004 at 08:49 PM]
[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:10-10-2004 at 07:31 PM]
[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:10-12-2004 at 09:23 PM]
[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:10-13-2004 at 10:39 AM]
[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:10-24-2004 at 05:50 PM]
[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:10-25-2004 at 11:20 AM]
[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:10-25-2004 at 11:23 AM: Bug fixes]
[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:10-31-2004 at 07:24 PM]
[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:02-12-2005 at 11:25 AM]
[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:02-13-2005 at 11:20 AM]

[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:04-19-2005 at 10:22 PM]
10-01-2004 at 07:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Agen (+2)  
wackhead_uk wrote:
I'm sorry. Really, I am.

:huh

Sorry for what? Releasing a hold?

Anyway, it's only the first two levels, and It is my first attempt at a proper hold. I think that it is fun! Do you?

Some of the rooms are interesting, although I find quite a few of the scrolls irritating.

Click here to view the secret text

So, it's a nice hold so far, a bit annoying with the scrolls, and a few bits of tedium, but overall a nice job.

10-01-2004 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
icon Re: Agen (+1)  
1. The variations on a theme level is a leftover from the 'competition' to make levels with the same theme, and all the walls are the same on every level so after 1W I hoped It wouldn't be too annoying

2. L21S - arg. Was going to be a goblin releaser but I then saw it on Claythro tower and changed it to that, not very proud.

3. 1N is wrong - the tar in the bottom left should have a two wide corridor in that bit to force you to go into it and I might put in more tar as well.

4. I love the clock. My favourite room I've ever made, it was the product of me trying to think of something that would be as origianl as the fool's errand, though Im not sure which orbs you're talking about.

5. L21S2E - I still haven't finished this bit, but I had to go somewhere and it was a bit of a rush job. You are supposed to see that there is no tar covering trapdoors - a scroll might be handy actually.

This is basically a hold designed to be ingenuitive, with the clock and the being able to choose which way you go (this is going to be the third level!), and I am not that good at making puzzles. I am currently trying to think of some that are good for the third level.

Edit: the being sorry part was for the scrolls as well as apologising for all the bugs in advance. Do not expect to see the second version of this hold for a while, I do things in chunks generally. Sorry!

[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:10-02-2004 at 12:19 AM]
10-02-2004 at 12:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: Agen (0)  
Well, could you leave the first version up until you get it ready?

10-02-2004 at 01:11 AM
wackhead_uk
Its at the top now. Should be updated in a bit.
10-02-2004 at 05:51 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
It's not there. Did you preview? Because that drops all attachments.

10-02-2004 at 06:16 PM
wackhead_uk
I'm changing hard drives and I forgot to take a lot of DROD stuff over. got it now!
10-02-2004 at 06:20 PM
wackhead_uk
Alright, I realised that I might as well update the stuff Ive done because I wont be able to get to a computer for days. Here is version 2.
10-05-2004 at 08:14 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
It's pretty unfinished right now. 1W is only room, where you can do something. The maze is inaccessible. There's also only 3 rooms in the editor. (And some empty rooms.)

You can collapse the trapdoor to the tar area in 1W. Seems like it was not intended...

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:10-05-2004 at 08:56 PM]
10-05-2004 at 08:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
oops. Here is it updated again...

and yep, I ahve about 20 minutes to do 7 more rooms, so no more updates till monday at least I think.

[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:10-05-2004 at 08:50 PM]
10-05-2004 at 08:46 PM
wackhead_uk
This update is really to see whther you think 1N in the third level is a good idea, because I havent finished it yet, and do you think that I am extremely cruel with 3W? I think so!
10-10-2004 at 07:33 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
wackhead_uk wrote:
This update is really to see whther you think 1N in the third level is a good idea, because I havent finished it yet...

On a quick look, L3 is interesting, although I don't like the idea of having to do each section separately.

Some of the rooms that your scrolls described as hard, like 3E, 2N and 1W are not. 1W in particular doesn't even require keeping the brains alive - the mimic can kill the roach in the serpent area.

1N is an interesting idea, which I quite like. Having to manipulate goblins directly behind you is quite tricky.

1S could be done with a brain, I think, although I don't understand the scroll - you said there that you didn't want to make difficult rooms, but some of the rest of the rooms don't quite comply with this statement.

However I did enjoy 2S, which I thought was quite elegant, although not tremendously difficult.

...and do you think that I am extremely cruel with 3W? I think so!

Definitely!

It's the most difficult room in the entire hold.

:)

10-10-2004 at 11:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
I dont like making impossible rooms, I said, which I realise it isnt. And did I say that 1W was hard? I havent finished that one yet...

Did you like 3N? I thought that was a very fun room to make and do, and I will soon be bringing out another version of it with 1N expanded, 3W and 3E made harder, a brain in 1S, and possibly putting some more roach queens in 2S. I like doing puzzles where the brains are right there but if you kill them, you cant do the level, aka level 20.

Version 5 coming soon! If this hold ever ends, which I doubt it will, It will be finished. (that's sort of implied, actually...)

[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:10-11-2004 at 08:40 AM]
10-11-2004 at 08:40 AM
wackhead_uk
Almost finished level 3, but I still need a puzzle for 1W. I also did 1N and expanded it into a manipulating puzzle, but forgot to upload the version with the victory demo for it. Have fun...
10-12-2004 at 09:25 PM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Is the maze in 3N meant to be required? Because it isn't.

I can't see any way to complete the clock room on level 2. It requires dropping the red door but theres no way to do that.

And what happened to all the scrolls on level 3 they are all blank?

[Edited by Scott at Local Time:10-13-2004 at 09:41 AM]
10-13-2004 at 09:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Oh darn. It must have deleted them all. They didnt say much important, dont worry. And it is possible to do the clock room unless I have incorporated another trapdoor by mistake...and none of the rooms are really required in level 3, seeing as there are no blue doors. I dont really want to rewrite all of the scrolls, so Ill just delete the unecesary ones for the next version. I might take my time on that one, as it might have a fourth level.
10-13-2004 at 10:38 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I just played this. A very enjoyable hold, although I'm not yet sure why.

General comments: Some of the puzzles looks really cool. The L3 scrolls are all unreadable. I hope you would add some more save points.

Some room specific comments:

1. I don't think L1 5W is possible. I can't make Beethro enter the third tunnel from the left all the way through.

2. The Clock is not possible as the NE part is disconnected, and the red doors cannot be dropped.

3. I'm also stuck on L3 4S and 3N. Can't believe those two are possible.

4. L2 exits leads to L2.

5. I especially liked the Clock Room.

6. L2 1S1E looks cool on the map.

7. L3's cool rooms are 2N, 1S, 3S, 3W.

Can you please check for me whether some of the rooms are really impossible?

As I said, this hold looks cool! :)

-- Tim.

10-17-2004 at 06:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Tim wrote:
A very enjoyable hold, although I'm not yet sure why.

Why thankyou...I think.

The L3 scrolls are all unreadable.

Yes, this will be fixed for version 6...I copied the rooms while forgetting the scroll bug and couldne be bothered to delete and refill them all for one version.

1. I don't think L1 5W is possible. I can't make Beethro enter the third tunnel from the left all the way through.

Damn, someone noticed. I have fixed this for the next version, but it is still a right b*stard to do.

2. The Clock is not possible as the NE part is disconnected, and the red doors cannot be dropped.

It was trying to be a method to stop the serpent from being killed easily, but it went wrong. Again, has been fixed.

3. I'm also stuck on L3 4S and 3N. Can't believe those two are possible.

4S is, no offence meant, reeeally easy. And 3N is absolutely stuffed with hidden things to do...

4. L2 exits leads to L2.

Bleh. I must have done that by accident. thanks for pointing that out.

5. I especially liked the Clock Room.

So did I. Do you normally like all rooms that are impossible?

6. L2 1S1E looks cool on the map.

Thank Claythro Tower! Look at the puzzle level, you'll see my inspiration.

7. L3's cool rooms are 2N, 1S, 3S, 3W.

You mean they aren't all cool? :~(

Can you please check for me whether some of the rooms are really impossible?

A lot are. And a lot will be. No, not really, you pointed out some new problems which are now fixed, and I will send you the first version 6 to test it if you will!

As I said, this hold looks cool! :)

Now THAT'S what I call constructive criticism!
10-17-2004 at 10:35 PM
Tim
wackhead_uk wrote:
L3 4S is, no offence meant, reeeally easy. And L3 3N is absolutely stuffed with hidden things to do...
I solved both of them now, so yes, they are both possible, but it was very hard to guess what to do with those blue walls in 3N. (In the end I changed the background style to see what I was missing :))
Do you normally like all rooms that are impossible?
No, but I do like simple rooms that does not seem to be possible on first sight. Like L3 4S :)
L2 1S1E: Thank Claythro Tower! Look at the puzzle level, you'll see my inspiration.
I am only at level 2 of Claythro Tower, can you tell me which of those levels is the puzzle level?
No, not really, you pointed out some new problems which are now fixed, and I will send you the first version 6 to test it if you will!
No, I cannot ask you to do that... Just put it here and I will find it eventually. ;)

-- Tim

10-20-2004 at 11:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Level something, Claythro tower. And I recommend getting the fireside DROD-ing version - you can access all the levels!

[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:02-12-2005 at 11:35 AM]
10-21-2004 at 09:34 AM
wackhead_uk
Here, new version yet again. It has another level, and one room in there deicated to Tim for his relentless...enjoying of hold my hold looks on the map. Anyway, enjoy.
10-24-2004 at 05:51 PM
Tim
You really hate me, don't you? ;)

1. I must say I find the last room really good looking.

2. L2 1N is impossible, so I can't really reach the clock. I just use the editor to reach it now :)

3. Heh, the clock is solvable now, although I have not yet tested whether I will need both of the mimcs.

4. Why do I still have the feeling I can't complete L1 5W? (I must say I haven't tested all the possiblities yet...)

5. L4 TE has a problem with one of the orbs.

6. L4 1S1E is solvable, but I did that in a very strange way (probably not the way you did).

I will try to solve the rest of the room at a later time.

But most of the rooms feel impossible...

Well, it actually feel like the time I was in Alton Towers (you know what that is?).
So much to see, and I ended up visiting the castle and the gardens, as the rest was too impossible for me. :~(

-- Tim

[Edited by Tim at Local Time:10-25-2004 at 12:22 AM]

10-24-2004 at 11:37 PM
wackhead_uk
Ive had it with 5W...I'm deleting it. Also, L2 1N is becoming easier again - the brains are out. Yay.

Also, it may help to know how the strange way you did L4 1S1E was - it may be the only way, its a very starnge room. When you get to 1S1W, I have found a trivial solution, so the whole trick to it is useless, and that is being changed for the next update.

Alright, new version up, one or two more levels to go I think. Any criticism welcome.

[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:10-25-2004 at 11:22 AM]
10-25-2004 at 11:10 AM
Tim
Short update this time.

wackhead_uk wrote:
Also, it may help to know how the strange way you did L4 1S1E was - it may be the only way, its a very starnge room.
It is not that hard after I think a bit longer. As long as your first step in that room is going
it is not that hard at all ;)

I will quote myself this time:
Tim wrote:
5. L4 The Entrance has a problem with one of the orbs.
I still cannot go to the east from that room, is that one of your tricks?

-- Tim

10-27-2004 at 02:34 PM
wackhead_uk
oops...Fixed. I forgot.
10-27-2004 at 04:59 PM
wackhead_uk
Anohter updater for a bug report. Strange wraithwing behavior on L2 1S2E...
10-31-2004 at 07:26 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
I haven't played much of this hold yet, but I tried L3 1W (in the editor, as it is impossible to enter the chamber otherwise), and it is indeed possible to kill the goblins without using the tar.

11-01-2004 at 02:54 AM
wackhead_uk
Boo. I'll put the chambers closer then.
11-01-2004 at 08:35 AM
Tim
Another short update:

1. The new level 2 rooms looks neat! I had a hard time solving them :(

2. The Clock room can be solved using only one mimic.

3. The last room in the Pits level is not solvable. The serpent cannot be killed.

4. The first room in level 3 has 8 arrows in it. The other first rooms do not have them.

5. Any hints for L4 1W?

-- Tim

11-06-2004 at 08:52 AM
wackhead_uk
Tim wrote:

1. The new level 2 rooms looks neat! I had a hard time solving them :(
I try...
2. The Clock room can be solved using only one mimic.
That's funny, I though you needed the other one to hit the orb in the middle...I'll check the assignments.
3. The last room in the Pits level is not solvable. The serpent cannot be killed.
Obsolete version, I think...It's undergone 2 redesigns of the room, but it should have been able to be killed by the green doors. Screenshot please?
4. The first room in level 3 has 8 arrows in it. The other first rooms do not have them.
Yesh, pure looks.
5. Any hints for L4 1W?

Could you have meant 1S1W? You will next time. I noticed a trivial solution, so it is now as hard as it should be. Yay.
11-07-2004 at 02:35 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Agen (Version 9.2)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com