Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Level Editor: Toggle-able force arrow on top of yellow door (Orb/pressure plate triggers door instead of force arrow.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chaosgamer
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 88
IP: Logged
icon Level Editor: Toggle-able force arrow on top of yellow door (0)  
Suppose I have a setup in which I have a force arrow on the same tile as a yellow door. From the level editor, it is impossible to have an orb or pressure plate trigger the force arrow instead of the yellow door. Orbs and pressure plates appear to be given the command trigger(x,y), and they do not distinguish between force arrows and yellow doors; instead, they default to yellow doors. For example, if I place a force arrow at (a,b) and designate an orb to toggle it, then place a yellow door at (a,b), the orb will toggle the yellow door. This can also be replicated with disabled force arrows.

A simple solution would be to have the game specify whether it is triggering a door or a force arrow.

I am running DROD: TSS version 5.0.1.6060 on Windows 8

[Last edited by Chaosgamer at 08-19-2014 06:32 PM]
08-19-2014 at 06:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Moo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 224
icon Re: Level Editor: Toggle-able force arrow on top of yellow door (0)  
If the arrow and the door could be toggled independently, that would cause problems for the click-to-view-associations system...

Also, how would you specify in the editor which one you wanted?
08-19-2014 at 07:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2387
Click-to-view should show an outline of the arrows as orange/blue/red rather than highlighting the entire square. That would make it clear which is affected.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
08-19-2014 at 08:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaosgamer
Moo wrote:
Also, how would you specify in the editor which one you wanted?

While linking an orb or pressure plate to an arrow on top of a yellow door, each click will cycle through toggle/open/close yellow door then toggle/open/close force arrow. The click after that will cancel.
08-19-2014 at 10:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2387
The author may want the orb/pp to affect both the door and the arrow, though.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
08-19-2014 at 11:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5060
disoriented wrote:
The author may want the orb/pp to affect both the door and the arrow, though.
I think it's a current limitation of the engine that only one can be connected on a given tile. I believe the same goes for lights on doors, if such a thing were possible.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-20-2014 at 12:05 AM
Chaosgamer
Will we be seeing this as a possibility in a future DROD release?
08-20-2014 at 03:33 AM
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
icon Re: Level Editor: Toggle-able force arrow on top of yellow door (-1)  
This is not actually true. You can trigger fire traps underneath orbs. Those orbs can then trigger something else.

I wish that man would stay away
08-24-2014 at 07:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaosgamer
You can do that; however, an orb is a trigger while, for example, a firetrap is a target. I am referring to a situation in which there are two targets on the same tile; that is, a force arrow on top of a yellow door. Should I have a firetrap instead of a yellow door, the same issue is present: I cannot trigger the force arrow independently of the firetrap (I cannot trigger it at all as the firetrap is given preference).
08-25-2014 at 03:21 AM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Level Editor: Toggle-able force arrow on top of yellow door (+1)  
I am necroing this to give it a final resting place - this is actually a feature request and I don't think it will be implemented. I believe the usability trumps the puzzle potential in this case. I am marking it as "Not a bug" to indicate this will not be implemented (at least that's my opinion).

10-01-2020 at 06:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Level Editor: Toggle-able force arrow on top of yellow door (Orb/pressure plate triggers door instead of force arrow.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com