Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : King Dugan's Dungeon 5.0 is live!
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4590
IP: Logged
icon King Dugan's Dungeon 5.0 is live! (+108)  
The 5.0 update to King Dugan's Dungeon 2.0 is now available for download. If you download KDD2.0 in the 5.0 (TSS) engine, you will automatically get this new version. If you already have KDD2.0 installed, you need to delete it and download again to get the new version. (It is recommended you export your player, download the hold, then re-import your player so as not to lose progress.)

Here's a quick run-down of the new features:

* One hundred challenges, mostly selected from the Challenges forum but also including a couple of new ones, now have official recognition.
* Lots more checkpoints! Including some in Level 25!
* All twelve room styles available in 5.0 are used. Rheb's beautiful Mosaic Frost is also used in an official hold for the first time.
* Aesthetic improvements (floor types, light / darkness effects)

Big thanks to Schik for helping get this running, and RabidChild for testing all the challenges.

And yes, a similar update for Journey to Rooted Hold is already under way.

08-18-2014 at 01:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
BlueFlower
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 156
icon Re: King Dugan's Dungeon 5.0 is live! (0)  
Awesome! I can't wait to be playing KDD 5.0!

No, really. Good Job.

08-18-2014 at 03:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
enzi666
Rank Points: 161
icon Re: King Dugan's Dungeon 5.0 is live! (+1)  
Great work Nuntar!

KDD never looked this good, love the lighting. It's also really cool that we have ingame challenges now. I'm already scratching my head how to do some. :)

DROD AE: Finished - KDD2: Mastered
JTRH: Mastered
TCB: Mastered - RPG: Finished
GatEB: Mastered - TSS: Mastered
08-18-2014 at 03:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
elfbutt
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
This came out a lot quicker than I expected. :)
08-18-2014 at 04:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jordthro
Rank Points: 100
Will KDD 5.0 also be updated in the SMS download page?

08-18-2014 at 07:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
It may be due to re-importing my saves or something, but there are several challenges that trigger as soon as I enter the cleared room.

I haven't been keeping track of which specific ones they are, I think it's mostly "don't do X before clearing the room" challenges. Since I enter the room when it's clear, I immediately get the challenge.
08-18-2014 at 08:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
Well, down to just six challenges now. I made sure to legitimately get any I accidentally ended up with due to the above issue. Most weren't too bad, though there are some I'd rather not make another attempt at.

All that I'm missing now: A Maze of Many Ways, Aim for the Eyes, Bad Boys Love Their Mamas, Limited Growth, Runnin' Through An Open Door (which I didn't really make an attempt at), and Spring Cleaning.

You may notice a theme with most of those.

Edit: oh, hey, make that five, got Runnin' Through An Open Door. I misread what room it was and thought I had to do something entirely different.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 08-19-2014 01:29 AM]
08-19-2014 at 01:13 AM
Nuntar
icon Re: King Dugan's Dungeon 5.0 is live! (+2)  
King Dugan's Dungeon 5.0 has been updated.

You can get the updated version in the same way as described in my first post. This (hopefully final) version has the following new features:

* Fixed minor bugs in the scripting of two challenges.
* Certain rooms now have shortcuts, activated by pressing the Special Command key (default: decimal point on the numpad). These make it easier to traverse already cleared rooms when entered a second time. You should no longer have to do any trapdoor puzzles in Fifteenth Level more than once!
* All rooms with Command key shortcuts have scrolls to let the player know where the Command key does something.
* A majority of secret walls in puzzle areas have been replaced by ordinary crumbly walls. KDD does have several puzzles whose linchpin is to spot a breakable wall and realise that (for example) you can kill a trapped roach yourself and use a mimic elsewhere. But using secret walls for these is unnecessarily frustrating, as well as inauthentic (secret walls didn't exist in AE).
* Some challenge scrolls have been slightly rewritten for clarity. These include the Thirteenth Level challenge, which now explains that you don't need to (as some players were assuming) hunt for secret walls to complete the challenge.
* Thirteenth Level is a touch lighter.

Big thanks to Chaco for many of these suggestions.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 08-23-2014 01:25 PM]
08-23-2014 at 04:06 AM
jdyer
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 329
Just to clarify, this is not in the Profile download page yet, just if you download directly from Caravelnet?

(I tried and there didn't seem to be any challenges, so I'm guessing it is the older version.)
08-23-2014 at 11:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
KevG
Rank Points: 333
Having a problem with the Stunted Growth challenge in L16 1S 1E. The scroll says kill the tar mother before any tar grows. I kill the second eye on turn 30. There is no tar growth but I don't get the achievement.
08-25-2014 at 02:59 PM
Nuntar
Have you gone on to clear the room?

If you have, and it's still not awarding you the challenge, then something's wrong. Please attach a demo so I can take a look.

08-25-2014 at 03:22 PM
KevG

File: KDD20 Sixteenth Level 1S1E Victory.demo (6.8 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
License: Public Domain
Here's my victory demo. FWIW, I upgraded to the new version during level 15 so I played level 16 entirely in it.

Also, while I'm here, just wanted to say thanks for making it fun to go through KDD again. The challenges are awesome.

[Last edited by KevG at 08-25-2014 03:41 PM]
08-25-2014 at 03:40 PM
Nuntar
Ah... the challenge script isn't running at all (if it was, there would be speech when Beethro entered the room). I would guess that what happened is that on a previous visit to the room, tar grew, causing the script to reach an "End" command, then you exited without conquering and returned to attempt the challenge.

This isn't one of my scripts (I just added a "Challenge completed" command to the existing script for speech depending on whether Beethro achieved the challenge) but I should have noticed that problem :( Try restoring to the level start, going straight to the room and attempting the challenge, and see whether that works.

08-25-2014 at 03:55 PM
KevG
Bingo! Restoring back to the start did the trick. Thanks a lot.

08-25-2014 at 04:02 PM
tempestadept
Rank Points: 141
I've noticed a minor issue. In L25 1N1W there are three doors near the entrance, controlled by three orbs. If you click on the middle door, all the orbs are highlighted green, even though the right one closes that door; if you click on another door, highlighting of the right door is brighter that usual. So, it seems like two orbs were somehow placed at (30,2).
09-01-2014 at 05:55 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Mastered and completed all the challenges! Very nice work. Can't wait for JTRH. Maybe we could start doing this to more older well-respected holds, with permission from the Architects of course.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 09-01-2014 06:20 PM]
09-01-2014 at 06:17 PM
Godot23
Rank Points: 114
I think this is great! I hope we get this for the other official holds to., Although I fear the addition of challenges in TCB... *shudder*

My house is on fire
09-02-2014 at 02:57 PM
ovioprime
Rank Points: 15
Hi,

The download list inside TSS ( gog install ) still says this hold is JTRH version. Is there a way to force this to update to TSS? :?

Thanks,

Dave

EDIT: It looks like I just downloaded 5.0 anyway. Challenges are there so that must be 5.0. Thanks!

[Last edited by ovioprime at 12-13-2015 11:24 PM]
12-13-2015 at 11:17 PM
Crimson Moon
Rank Points: 108
ovioprime wrote:
Hi,

The download list inside TSS ( gog install ) still says this hold is JTRH version. Is there a way to force this to update to TSS? :?

Thanks,

Dave

If you have it already installed in the TSS launcher, you have to uninstall and reinstall for it to be the 5.0 version.

Like-wise, if you've already done this, it will display itself as the old version, it's still the 5.0 version and still using the TSS launcher, despite what it may show. That's because holds made in previous versions display the previous version instead of TSS logo.
12-13-2015 at 11:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ovioprime
Rank Points: 15
Thank you very much! :thumbsup

Crimson Moon wrote:
ovioprime wrote:
Hi,

Thanks,

Dave

If you have it already installed in the TSS launcher, you have to uninstall and reinstall for it to be the 5.0 version.

Like-wise, if you've already done this, it will display itself as the old version, it's still the 5.0 version and still using the TSS launcher, despite what it may show. That's because holds made in previous versions display the previous version instead of TSS logo.
12-13-2015 at 11:26 PM
IQubic
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 78
How does one get this hold in TSS? Is there a download link?

02-26-2016 at 11:59 PM
Nuntar
This is an upgrade to KDD2.0 (the Smitemaster's Selection version of King Dugan's Dungeon), not the original (free) KDD. So you need to have bought KDD2.0. If you have, then it should show up in your "Change Location" list within TSS.

02-27-2016 at 04:04 AM
IQubic
But isn't KDD 2.0 free?
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=6547

02-28-2016 at 07:58 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
IQubic wrote:
But isn't KDD 2.0 free?
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=6547
No.
http://www.caravelgames.com/Articles/Games_2/KDD.html
The original KDD hold can be played for free either by downloading architects edition or by downloading the hold in the thread you linked. KDD 2.0 is different, the rooms are the same but comes with extra polish like voice acting. That version is not free.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 02-28-2016 08:13 PM]
02-28-2016 at 08:13 PM
IQubic
So can I import the free .hold file into DROD 5? Will it work?

02-28-2016 at 08:18 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
I believe that hold should work if you import it into TSS, yes.

It won't give you access to the KDD 5.0 upgrade of KDD 2.0, but if all you want to do is play the original KDD rooms in the TSS engine then it should work.
02-28-2016 at 08:26 PM
Nuntar
I do still have my original copy of KDD + challenges, which is an edit of the free KDD, before Mike gave me permission to add my challenges to the official KDD 2.0 hold. I'll ask Mike about whether it's okay for me to post this file here.

02-28-2016 at 09:29 PM
IQubic
If it is, I'd love to have it. I find KDD to be a little too simplistic as it is now.

02-28-2016 at 10:39 PM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
Perhaps somewhat late to be saying anything about this, but...

The Eight Gates of Bill challenge on Level 3: 1S probably shouldn't trigger if someone uses the high-move-efficiency-solution method of leaving an egg behind when clearing the room, then coming back in from the W entrance and smiting the queen without striking *any* orbs.

[Last edited by Hikari at 02-29-2016 08:18 AM]
02-29-2016 at 08:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Nuntar wrote:
I do still have my original copy of KDD + challenges, which is an edit of the free KDD, before Mike gave me permission to add my challenges to the official KDD 2.0 hold. I'll ask Mike about whether it's okay for me to post this file here.
Thanks for asking! Yes, I'm fine with posting your copy of free KDD with challenges implemented here, with the understanding that Caravel doesn't provide support for this version.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-01-2016 01:09 AM]
02-29-2016 at 04:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : King Dugan's Dungeon 5.0 is live!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com