Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Descent to H'Caor (another new generic hold to behold)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Big-J-Q
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 25
IP: Logged

File: Descent.hold (13.2 KB)
Downloaded 160 times.
License: Other
icon The Descent to H'Caor (+5)  
Well well. Here we have a new hold with only one (two, if we count the prologue) level complete. To be modest, this hold is nothing special, I believe it introduces no interesting quirks, no fresh ideas, at least not at the moment.

Note that this is my second attempt at making holds; Sadly my previous hold-in-progress can still be found here. I assure you, these have nothing to do with each other, except that one of the trickier puzzles have been transfered to the new hold in a little more compact form.

This hold is not intended for beginners, although I think veterans might find this a little boring. I recommend a little experience from KDD levels 1,2,4,15 and 19. I have play-tested the hold to be solvable. If, for some reason, you are having overwhelming difficulties, ask for hints or even a demo. I do have them.

So, if you go through the trouble of playing this, then I'd hope you also go through the trouble of sending comments. I'm also very open to suggestions.

[Edited by Big-J-Q at Local Time:09-27-2004 at 08:46 AM: update hold]

[Edited by Big-J-Q at Local Time:10-10-2004 at 08:12 AM: Level 2 complete]
09-26-2004 at 08:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: The Descent to H'Caor (+2)  
I've had a quick play through, and the hold is more interesting than you make it out to be. Here are my comments:

Click here to view the secret text

Overall, it's a nice hold with some interesting manipulation puzzles in it. I think that it's more interesting and difficult than you suggest, and am interested to see more of it.

Good luck with making the rest of the hold.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:09-26-2004 at 11:32 PM]

09-26-2004 at 10:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: The Descent to H'Caor (+1)  
Overall, I pretty much agree with everything Agaricus wrote above, so I won't repeat it. I had a lot of fun with these rooms, and I'm looking forward to more.

One problem:

3E:

[Edited by eytanz at Local Time:09-27-2004 at 05:08 AM]

09-27-2004 at 05:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Big-J-Q
Glad you liked it! Perhaps my modesty is a bit exaggerated; I think I could point out that personally I am pleased with my hold.

The problem Eytanz mentioned should be fixed now; Thanks for bringing it out to me.

Replies to Agaricus' comments:

Updated version can be found at the top of this thread; I've set the hold so that anyone can edit it and thus those who have already played the first level don't necessarily need to play it all again; Only the rooms that have been significantly changed.
09-27-2004 at 08:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Brickman
Rank Points: 17
I lkie the combat puzzles, those are always fun (well, almost always, but yours were and going into that would be off topic). But I don't think anyone would mind if you put checkpoints in your trapdoor mazes.
Also, in 1s, that empty space gave it away. replace it with a checkpoint to fake the player out.
09-27-2004 at 10:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
icon Re: The Descent to H'Caor (+2)  
This ones just about my level, where I thoroughly enjoy it without getting too frustrated. Just one criticism - it'd be nice not to have to redo the maze if you re-enter 1S 3E from the west. Not really a big deal once you know the way through, but it's better not to have to do the same room twice. IMO, of course.
09-28-2004 at 10:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Big-J-Q
Oops, you are absolutely right. That was a design flaw. Fixed for the next version.
09-29-2004 at 10:59 AM
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
icon Re: The Descent to H'Caor (0)  
I forgot to mention, the stairs took me back to the beginning of level 1.
09-29-2004 at 04:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Big-J-Q
That is because the level 3 (or 2, if you don't count the prologue) didn't exist at the time.

EDIT: Obviously this is already fixed.

[Edited by Big-J-Q at Local Time:09-29-2004 at 04:57 PM: additional remark]
09-29-2004 at 04:46 PM
Big-J-Q
Just to inform you, that the project is not dead. Level 2 (still untitled) has now 4 complete rooms and the fifth is under construction. New version won't be posted until the whole level is complete.
10-03-2004 at 07:14 AM
Big-J-Q
Finally! Level 2 is complete; Those who already played level 1 might be interested to know that there is (actually there has always been) a warp-room on the prologue-level. Look for crumbly walls in 1S.

The hold is attached to the first post.
10-10-2004 at 08:14 AM
agaricus5
I've had some more free time, so here are some notes on L2:

Overall, this is a nice level; not too challenging, but containing some interesting rooms.

10-14-2004 at 12:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Big-J-Q
Thank you for playing through it, Agaricus!

10-14-2004 at 06:43 AM
agaricus5
Big-J-Q wrote:

10-14-2004 at 07:47 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Descent to H'Caor (another new generic hold to behold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com