Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Disappearing spiders! (5.0.1)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Moo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 224
IP: Logged

File: Spider Bug.hold (994 bytes)
Downloaded 46 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Disappearing spiders! (+1)  
Using the attached hold...

Don't use the vision token, but press F3 and F7 to turn on puzzle view and move counter if they aren't already on. See the squares are full of spiders. Right-click on a few and see they are all somehow #1.
Press F3 to turn off the puzzle view (it kills performance), then press control-5 until the move counter is over 500. Turn F3 back on, and see no change to the spiders. Undo one move, and see some of the spiders in the left box disappear (and hear beeping of a load of assertions). Right-click on the spiders in the right box, and see they apparently aren't spiders at all any more. Move around and get some more assertions (you can sometimes see one spider moving onto another).
Restart, use the vision token, and repeat it all. You don't need slow puzzle view this time (which has no effect on the outcome). See that the spiders behave as expected (individual numbers, don't disappear, and no assertions). Using build 5973 shows no problems, but 5996 does, so presumably it's related to the spider changes in that build.

[Last edited by Moo at 07-25-2014 05:47 PM]
07-25-2014 at 03:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4592
icon Re: Disappearing spiders! (0)  
Talking of spiders:

In build 6060, playing KDD L10 2N normally (without turning puzzle mode or move counter on) gave me a lot of beeps. drod.err shows the following:

Assertion error in line 3313 of .\DbRooms.cpp: "this->pMonsterSquares[ARRAYINDEX(pMonster->wX,pMonster->wY)]==pMonster"

07-25-2014 at 08:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Moo
Yes, that is exactly the assertion my hold/procedure gives (perhaps I should have listed it).
And the puzzle mode and move counter were just to see what's going on, they don't affect the bug.
07-25-2014 at 09:38 PM
DezzTech
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 327
I don't know if what I'll say will be of any use, but maybe it'll help.

So it seems that for some reason a lot of spiders at the start of a room share the same movement order number. This seems to be related to their invisibility. If you step on the vision token in the provided hold, all the spiders get their correct numbers and no glitches seem to occur. If you step on it again, however, all the spiders revert back to being #1.

On the move 486 (lower than that won't work, higher will) of the spiders having the wrong movement order, after you undo, some of them stop being solid I guess? (Let's call them ghost spiders, cuz that's cool!) And then some of the ghost spiders walk onto non-ghost spiders and you get a thousand assertion errors. That's because two monsters shouldn't occupy the same tile, presumably. Sometimes undoing on move 486 doesn't turn spiders into ghosts for some reason, just keep alternating between pressing "wait" and "undo" repeatedly, it will happen eventually.

A thing to try in the provided hold: step close to a spider cage and check the spiders' numbers. All the spiders you can see get individual numbers, except... not really. A lot of the spiders you can't see will get numbers that are duplicates of the visible spiders' numbers.

11-23-2014 at 08:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
icon Re: Disappearing spiders! (+1)  
I'm going to bump this just to say that it *really* needs to get fixed and I want to bother the devs as much as possible.

Strictly speaking it seems that the game is still playable if you avoid using restart and undo, but rooms that include spiders tend to necessitate those features.

01-03-2015 at 05:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386
I haven't heard much lately about future bug-fix builds of TSS. Hoping the devs hear your suggestion blorx and have a chance to scrub the bug board soon. :)

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
01-03-2015 at 06:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Moo
icon Re: Disappearing spiders! (+10)  
I've found the cause of this... CSpider redefines IsVisible() (which I guess was intended for characters) to track "normal" spider visibility. This causes problems for CRoomWidget::DisplayRoomCoordSubtitle L1483, and CDbRoom::SetMembers L11422, which both use CMonster->IsVisible.
The first causes the invisible spiders to not get proper numbers on the right-click display (cosmetic only), which is presumably to prevent invisible characters occupying monster numbers, and not intended for spiders at all.
The second one is the real problem... It means invisible spiders aren't restored properly when loading snapshots of the room, resulting in the errors when undoing.

[Last edited by Moo at 01-13-2015 01:49 PM]
01-13-2015 at 01:47 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Spot on Moo :).

01-27-2015 at 06:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
Tested in 5.0.2, and all the issues in this thread appear to have been fixed. No assertion errors, no disappearing spiders, spider movement order is stated correctly. This should mean I'll be able to continue working on a few spidertastic holds soon, yay :)
07-26-2015 at 05:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
adS
Rank Points: 214
Confirmed,

adS

07-28-2015 at 03:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
There's an additional wrinkle with this bug I noticed today. If you rewind a demo in a room with spiders, you may spontaneously be killed by a spider. (I guess because it existed on that tile at some point in the past?)

This is probably fixed if the spider glitch is, but somebody testing 5.0.2 may want to rewind some demos in spider rooms just to make sure.
07-28-2015 at 05:09 PM
adS
Rank Points: 214
Dragon Fogel wrote:
There's an additional wrinkle with this bug I noticed today. If you rewind a demo in a room with spiders, you may spontaneously be killed by a spider. (I guess because it existed on that tile at some point in the past?)

This is probably fixed if the spider glitch is, but somebody testing 5.0.2 may want to rewind some demos in spider rooms just to make sure.

I have already done that with a room that caused exactly this problem - fixed.

adS

07-28-2015 at 05:32 PM
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
It's not really an additional wrinkle, I'd say. When I've had the spider bug multiple times in the same room, it can manifest itself different ways.

There's the "spider seemingly attacking you despite not being next to you", the "disappearing spiders", and the "die every turn until you restart the room". I've found it's more or less random which one happens. Tested it multiple times when I verified this just to make sure.

07-28-2015 at 06:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Disappearing spiders! (5.0.1)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com