Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Poll: What kind of music do you like? (What kind of music do you like?)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
What kind of music do you like?
Rock/Metal/Punk etc
Rap/Hip Hop
R n B
Classic
Jazz
Blues
Country
Pop
Other (please specify)
I don't listen to music
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
IP: Logged
icon Re: Poll: What kind of music do you like? (0)  
I like classical, jazz, and music from video games, I'm not sure waht genre that falls under.
01-26-2006 at 12:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
My top five artists:

They Might Be Giants
Tori Amos
Bob Dylan
Miles Davis
Siouxsie and the Banshees

you know, the usual...

I voted for everything except Rap/Hip Hop, but I'm not totally opposed to rap. I did buy Outkast - Speakerboxx/The Love Below and enjoyed a lot of songs from it and have enjoyed some rap songs on soundtracks I own.

Some main categories I'd say I really like are:
Female singer/songwriter (Ani Difranco, Kristin Hersh)
Alt. Country (Lucinda Williams, Neko Case)
Experimental Electronic/Ambient (Brian Eno, Aphex Twin)
Alternative Ethereal-Pop [for lack of a better term] (Breeders, Belly, Cocteau Twins, Sigur Ros)

b0rsuk wrote:
I've been thinking a bit about music.
Once upon a time I stumbled upon a website which used an interesting concept. You could submit a music group and it would display people with similar tastes.
The downside was that it was done in flash, slow, and full of ads.

Does anyone know similar sites ? I ask because it seems it's the only safe way to describe music. You either like it or you don't. I think categorizing music is dangerous, especially when it causes quarrels. It's very rare for me to even like entire/most albums, so in my opinion 'per-piece' rating is the right way to go.
www.pandora.com
Make your own station where they'll play you new stuff based on an artist or multiple artists you like. You can listen to it for up to 10 hours without signing up, after that you need to register- they have a free version with ads (currently on screen ads only, but that may change in the future) or a pay version that's 12 months of unlimited use for $36 or 3 months of unlimited use for $12.

I'm listing to my Mazzy Star/Portishead/Bjork radio station right now and hearing some nice sounding bands I haven't heard of before.

01-26-2006 at 05:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
The artists that I like fluctuate every so often, aminly because bands that I like will eventually put out crappy singles or albums. There are my current top 5 however, in no particular order:

1. The Killers, which I just recently discovered.
2. Def Leppard
3. Coldplay
4. Green Day
5. Johnny Cash. Nothing like some classics.

01-26-2006 at 09:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Poll: What kind of music do you like? (+2)  
It wasn't www.pandora.com, was it?

01-27-2006 at 05:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
Mattcrampy wrote:
It wasn't www.pandora.com, was it?

Not exactly. This one looks much better. Have 2 rank points.
edit...except for a slight detail. Registration is for free, no problem here. But they require zip code. The service is unavailable to people from outside US.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 01-27-2006 04:12 PM]
01-27-2006 at 03:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chalks
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
icon Re: Poll: What kind of music do you like? (+1)  
I LOVE:

Classical, *especially* Tchaikovsky
Techno
I realize that those to genres don't exactly go together, but hey...I like what I like.

I Like:
everything else, except for what I hate

I hate:
country

Actually, along the lines of Classical...I've been looking for some good piano pieces. I'm not really sure what composer to look at, because I always listen to the radio and they rarely (if ever) mention the composer. So, who's a good composer that does/did a lot of piano music?
01-28-2006 at 04:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
Rank Points: 365
b0rsuk wrote:

Not exactly. This one looks much better. Have 2 rank points.
edit...except for a slight detail. Registration is for free, no problem here. But they require zip code. The service is unavailable to people from outside US.

Can you just enter 90210 ?

As for that site you mentioned earlier, I've been trying to re-find it too...

I'm sure it was www.?otg.com/se/fi etc...

where '?' is a letter I can't remember.. I'm sure it was called "<something> of the gods" and the domain had the 4 letter acronym.. Something like that, anyway!

Does this ring any bells ?

[Last edited by jamie at 01-28-2006 07:47 AM]
01-28-2006 at 07:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
I said slight detail. I've been tweaking my station for few hours yesterday.

No bells for me.

Unfortunatelly, there are quite a lot of pieces or even bands Pandora doesn't know of.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
01-28-2006 at 10:52 AM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
icon Re: Poll: What kind of music do you like? (+4)  
b0rsuk wrote:
Once upon a time I stumbled upon a website which used an interesting concept. You could submit a music group and it would display people with similar tastes.
music-map.com? That's a flashy visualisation of data from gnod.net.
Chalks wrote:
I've been looking for some good piano pieces.
Chopin, Debussy, Sinding (from the top of both my head and my CD stack). If you want to include piano concertos (and given your preference for Chaikovsky you probably do), try Rachmaninov and maybe Beethoven. [Edit: Ah yes, and Villa-Lobos.]

[Last edited by Znirk at 01-28-2006 02:32 PM : Thought of someone else]
01-28-2006 at 02:29 PM
Chalks
Well, I was browsing the internet for music because of this thread. I stumbled upon a very interesting website: http://www.live365.com/index.live

It has a huge list of internet radio stations. Most of them are free. You would need somthing like winamp to be able to listen, but that's free too. :D

I love it!
01-28-2006 at 09:39 PM
cheese obsessive
Rank Points: 219
Chalks wrote:
Actually, along the lines of Classical...I've been looking for some good piano pieces. I'm not really sure what composer to look at, because I always listen to the radio and they rarely (if ever) mention the composer. So, who's a good composer that does/did a lot of piano music?

If you want a massive challenge, "Funerailles" by Franz Liszt is AMAZING, if you are into heavy romantic-era music. Franz Liszt is EASILY my favorite composer of piano music, even though it is crazy-hard to learn. I just finished a piece that took me a year and a half to learn, and it is my favorite thing to play now, and I will continue to prepare it for college auditions. ("St. Francois de Paule Marchant sur les Flots" from Liszt's "2 Legendes," if you want to give that a look at) I love playing pretty much anything written in the Romantic and Modern eras. If you are into more rhythm-centered pieces as opposed to melody-centered pieces, check out Bela Bartok's "Allegro Barbaro," or book 6 of his "Mikrokosmos." Really fun to play, if you don't mind some lack of tonality. Whcih I don't. I love not-quite-tonal music. :D And if you want impressionism, I would start with the Debussy preludes, and for a real challenge, pick up "Jeux D'eau" by Ravel. I am currently learing that, and it is amazing. And for minimalism, pretty much anything by John Adams. I am learning "China Gates" by him, and it isn't easy at all, despite being 'minimalist.' Hope this helps. I can't really help you if you were looking for something along the lines of Mozart or Bach, because I don't have the patience to learn something 'boring' to play and boring to listen to, when I could learn some Liszt or Bartok instead. But you are into Tchaikovsky, so I assume you're more into the Romantic/Modern classical. :D

And to answer the question, I will listen to anything that requires some thought to listen to. Mostly Progressive rock, and Romantic/Modern classical, Like Liszt (best piano composer ever.) , Shostakovich (best orchestral composer ever.), Rachmaninoff, Ravel, Debussy, Adams, Bartok, Cage, Mahler, and Copland. I also love Drum Corps, and any TALENTED musical artist that can be deemed 'original.' Queen, ELP, Blue Oyster Cult, Rush, Dream Theater, Coldplay, older Genesis, David Gray, Nobuo Uematsu, and the Motoi Sakuraba Trio. And some random indie artists. :)
01-29-2006 at 12:10 AM
Chalks
Woah, that's quite a list! I'll have years of stuff to look into there. :D Actually, I am not a skilled pianist, at best intermediate. I was just looking for something to listen to. However, this past year I've started piano lessons again, and I'm hoping to become quite proficient. I have long wished I could play world class music, and will be practicing like there's no tomorrow.

So, maybe in a year or two, I can start playin' those songs. :w00t
01-29-2006 at 05:51 AM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
icon Re: Poll: What kind of music do you like? (+3)  
progressive rock may be nice, too. Does anyone know something close to Porcupine Tree ?
Pineapple Thief. Excellent band. More on the lines of earlier PT rather than the music Wilson has recorded since hanging around with Opeth.
PT's 40 minute Moonloop Improv is one of my all time favourite tracks.

Heh, I just noticed how old this thread is.

I like Rap!
Is that with a silent "c"?

That's a joke folks. Although I dislike rap intensely, I know music is a very personal thing, and if a particular song gives you pleasure, then the artist has done what s/he set out to do.

My own preferences are prog rock, jam bands and blues/blues rock, although I can listen to most music except opera, rap, and whatever was playing as that car went by.

01-29-2006 at 11:21 AM
jamie
Znirk wrote:

music-map.com? That's a flashy visualisation of data from gnod.net.

gnod.net !! That's the one I was thinking about/referring to in my earlier post

cheers!

01-29-2006 at 03:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
bandit1200 wrote:
My own preferences are prog rock, jam bands and blues/blues rock, although I can listen to most music except opera, rap, and whatever was playing as that car went by.
That's awesome. I am totally stealing that from you. Have some mod points in payment!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-29-2006 at 07:44 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Return again, and haunt us once more!

I've finally managed to narrow down my general preferences (ignoring, of course, eclectic songs, plus movie and game sound tracks) to Moby, Nightwish (and since the split, Tarja Turunen as well, even though her album isn't nearly of the same quality as nightwish's), Gnarls Barkley and Bond. Which I'm pretty sure covers most genre's, funnily enough.

One Genre that I'm not too fond of, however, is hip hop/rap, which although I like the sound, I usually find the lyrics a bit too, ah, narcissisic for my tastes.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 06-28-2008 11:27 AM]
06-28-2008 at 11:24 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
NiroZ wrote:
One Genre that I'm not too fond of, however, is hip hop/rap, which although I like the sound, I usually find the lyrics a bit too, ah, narcissisic for my tastes.
Hmmm... would that be top 40's/mainstream hip hop?

Because even though I have to agree that the lyrics in the hip hop I listen to often are centered around the singer I can't say I've found it very narcissistic...

Granted, I'm mainly listening to what's usually called "indie" or "underground" hip hop, but I'd recommend the following:

* Saul Williams (who does a killer live show as well... :D)
* Sage Francis
* Sole
* Alias
* Aesop Rock
* El-P
* Roots Manuva

I'd recommend looking those up on last.fm, and having a look in the video section there, as that usually has full-length videos as opposed to 30 second audio snippets...

And to answer the original question:

Ambient, Techno, Hip Hop, Postrock, Dub, IDM, Jazz, ...

You name it - it's not Hard Rock, Metal, bubblegum J-Pop or crappy Top 40 material - I probably listen to it... :D

np: Sage Francis - Black Out On White Night (Human The Death Dance)

[Last edited by Briareos at 06-28-2008 01:42 PM]
06-28-2008 at 01:20 PM
BeefontheBone
Rank Points: 184
In addition to Briareos' list, check out Dan le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip, then come back and tell me you don't like Hip-Hop. Oh, and I'm always mystified as to how anyone can fail to like Jurassic 5, at least the first couple of albums.

To answer the original question myself, I used to listen to a lot of modern rock, pop-punk/ska and some metal, now it's mostly electronica, a bit of dance, some DnB, still modern rock and metal, industrial, intelligent hip-hop like the artists mentioned above, psytrance, trip-hop and some slightly weirder stuff. Current favourites are Puscifer, Dan le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip, Flight of the Conchords ("No, I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal. Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve tell you that, perchance?" "My rhymes are so potent that in this small segment I made all of the ladies in the area pregnant. Yes, sometimes my lyrics are sexist, but you lovely bitches and ho's should know I'm trying to correct this."), Ozric Tentacles, Hidria Spacefolk, Infected Mushroom, Morcheeba. I'm fairly eclectic :)

[Last edited by BeefontheBone at 06-29-2008 01:56 PM]
06-29-2008 at 01:42 PM
Briareos
BeefontheBone wrote:
Dan le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip
Oh my... *preorders*

As if buying those 4 The Orb albums yesterday just for the bonus discs coming with the remastered version weren't bad enough...

np: The Orb - Plateau (Orbus Terrarum Remastered)

06-29-2008 at 02:23 PM
jamie
hard house mainly
some happy hardcore.
hi nrg dance

that sort of thing :-)

06-29-2008 at 08:12 PM
BeefontheBone
Briareos wrote:
BeefontheBone wrote:
Dan le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip
Oh my... *preorders*

As if buying those 4 The Orb albums yesterday just for the bonus discs coming with the remastered version weren't bad enough..
Orb remasters, you say? Might have to at least fill out my collection :) I bought the 3-disc Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld just for the extra CD - it's got a Peel session of Fluffy Little Clouds which is about 20 minutes long, and a bunch of other stuff :)

I reckon I know your taste well enough to know you'll not be disappointed by Angles - it's pure genius from start to end :)

[Last edited by BeefontheBone at 06-30-2008 07:49 PM : Embarassing typo :)]
06-30-2008 at 07:46 PM
cheese obsessive
While we're on the topic of indie hip-hop...

Check out Flobots, they hare restored my faith in the genre.

http://www.myspace.com/flobots

"Handlebars" is the first hip-hop song to ever give me chills, and every other song on their page is awesome as well.
07-07-2008 at 08:23 PM
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
I like music from drod ae. That is classic, right?
08-03-2008 at 08:01 AM
Briareos
BeefontheBone wrote:
I reckon I know your taste well enough to know you'll not be disappointed by Angles - it's pure genius from start to end :)
np: Dan Le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip - Thou Shalt Always Kill (Angles)

:thumbsup

08-03-2008 at 12:29 PM
cheese obsessive
Briareos wrote:
BeefontheBone wrote:
np: Dan Le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip - Thou Shalt Always Kill (Angles)

:thumbsup

Bumping thread for awesome.

Click here to view the secret text

Le Sac and Pip play a fantastic live show, I highly recommend seeing them.
09-25-2008 at 05:04 AM
Briareos
cheese obsessive wrote:
So which one in that photo is you? ;)

If you look closely at this image I'm the rightmost one with the hand in the air... :P

09-25-2008 at 09:08 AM
cheese obsessive
Briareos wrote:
cheese obsessive wrote:
So which one in that photo is you? ;)

If you look closely at this image I'm the rightmost one with the hand in the air... :P

I'm the fool on the left.

Saul Williams is next on my list of good rap/hip-hop acts to check out.

I talked to Pip for a while, and being American I thought his accent was very entertaining. Tried talking to Dan but he was very drunk AND very British, so I had no idea what he was saying.
09-25-2008 at 05:51 PM
BeefontheBone
I'm seeing Le Sac and Pip in about a month (as well as Ladyhawke next week, Goldfrapp towards the end of the year) - sooooo looking forward to it. Woo!

09-26-2008 at 08:57 PM
zwetschenwasser
Rank Points: 200
I'm a classical music geek, especially Saint-Saens, Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn, and Ravel. :w00t

09-27-2008 at 04:24 PM
The Architest
Rank Points: 254
I havent listed any songs because I dont like music!

Expect I like DROD music! ;)

Oh yeah!
I have some favourites :

Ari Koivunen
Batman & Ryydman

09-27-2008 at 04:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Poll: What kind of music do you like? (What kind of music do you like?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com