Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Poll: What kind of music do you like? (What kind of music do you like?)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
What kind of music do you like?
Rock/Metal/Punk etc
Rap/Hip Hop
R n B
Classic
Jazz
Blues
Country
Pop
Other (please specify)
I don't listen to music
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
HSE
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 162
IP: Logged
icon Poll: What kind of music do you like? (+2)  
Just seeing what the DROD forum likes. Thanks,
Seb
09-24-2004 at 10:39 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
icon Re: Poll: What kind of music do you like? (+1)  
You forgot to include dance music. Did you see the thread about the prodigy?

[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:09-24-2004 at 11:00 PM]
09-24-2004 at 10:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
And I like Rock (Classic Rock mostly) and not much Metal or Punk, so I don't really have anything to vote for.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-24-2004 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Abbyzzmal
Rank Points: 348
A lot of international music, a lot of progressive rock, and plenty of Avant-garde, unclassifiable stuff.
09-25-2004 at 12:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
There are a lot of things not in this poll. Like all the instrumental music that's not classical, and alternative, and grunge. Just pick what fits closest to your tastes, I guess. I'm eclectic, so I always have something to pick in a vote like this :)

09-25-2004 at 12:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
I listen to and like punk rock a lot. Especially Millencolin and Bad Religion.
Jazz and Blues is also good.

If there had been another poll, "What kind of music can't you stand listening to?", I would choose Rap/Hip Hop and Classic.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
09-25-2004 at 06:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
HSE
Rank Points: 162
I would put more options in, but I had a really useless 28.8k running (my T10 was down for upgrades) so I couldn't fit anything else in. Sorry.

-Seb
09-25-2004 at 01:05 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Oneiromancer wrote:
And I like Rock (Classic Rock mostly) and not much Metal or Punk, so I don't really have anything to vote for.
Keep on rockin' in the free world!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love classic rock as well, but I do listen to new rock a bit as well. Guns n' Roses, Def Leppard, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, Van Halen....now THAT's what I call music.

09-25-2004 at 04:13 PM
wackhead_uk
I forgot to mentoin in my first post...

(this sounds a bit sad)

I have my own album out! Well, I have the only copy, but it is good. honest.
09-25-2004 at 07:04 PM
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Poll: What kind of music do you like? (+2)  
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
I love classic rock as well, but I do listen to new rock a bit as well. Guns n' Roses, Def Leppard, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, Van Halen....now THAT's what I call music.

Rock on, man. :cool

I like all those groups, well, except for Bob Dylan. I like most covers of his songs, but I don't really like his voice, hehe.

Of all the "new" bands, Oingo Boingo is my favorite, but they're not really new at all, 80's - 90's. Indigo Girls too. Almost everything else is back in the 60's and 70's, or 80's/90's stuff that really has the classic rock "feel" (like Bruce Springsteen and John Mellencamp, for example).

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-25-2004 at 07:45 PM
Big-J-Q
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 25
I listen to (black) metal almost exclusively, especially scandinavian and finnish black metal. I don't have particular favourites, but the last couple of weeks I've primarily been listening to bands such as Deathspell Omega, Satanic Warmaster, Shining and Ulver.

Of course, there are plenty of great and wonderful songs in other genres, ranging from dance music to rock and soundtrack music.
09-25-2004 at 08:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
SKWERLL
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
icon Re: Poll: What kind of music do you like? (0)  
I like Dr. Demento, and weird crap like that. Yeah, I'm screwed.

The best hold in the world!
09-25-2004 at 09:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wackhead_uk

"Aw, Im ten years old and I already have 2 arch enimies" - Bart Simpson
09-25-2004 at 10:04 PM
missbrittany
Rank Points: 57
Most definitely electronica. In fact, that was one of the reasons I started dating Erik. He knew a lot about it, and I wanted to know more. The rest, as they say, is history.
My favorites are: Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, Moby, Basement Jaxx, Fat Boy Slim and a whole host of others. I tend to listen to compilations more than anything else.
But there's a special place in my heart for Chem Bros. Once I get a chance to see them in concert, my "dream concert wish list" will be complete.

Brittany
"You should feel how I feel, you should take what I take."
10-06-2004 at 07:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Memo to Erik:

Hold on to this one for dear life, boy.

Matt

10-06-2004 at 08:45 AM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
....celtic is great. I attend the polish festival of celtic music each year (well 2 so far but I won't stop, I think)

progressive rock may be nice, too. Does anyone know something close to Porcupine Tree ?
Moonspell, In Extremo, Blind Guardian, Black Sabbath, XIII Stoleti, (Czech metal may be a bit funny, but it's pretty good) this kind of stuff..
Where should I put Delerium ? And I mean old Delerium, not this pop crap they sell today. I'd say ambient...

In general, I tend to like either single albums, or even particular pieces
----------------
I recommend you music by Hans Zimmer - he makes music for movies, usually...
Crimson Tide(!!!), Gladiator, and more.
--------------------
Best teledisc I've seen - I mean one of few where visuals are actually important part of the whole:
Ulver - (something about) Perdition City (sp!?!?!)

[Edited by b0rsuk at Local Time:10-06-2004 at 11:12 AM]

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
10-06-2004 at 11:09 AM

Level: Guest
Rank Points: 0
I like Rap!
10-15-2004 at 08:53 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Edit/Delete | Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Yes, I noticed that noone voted for that apart from you...I would have it it was a multiple choice. I suppose I have to say welcome to the forum then!
10-15-2004 at 09:39 PM
markw
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
soundtracks
11-02-2004 at 06:24 PM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
Since the other says to specify, mine is "alternative." And I listen to Weird Al as well, but I usually put that in pop since that's largely what he parodies.

++Adam H. Peterson
11-03-2004 at 07:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Bump. Let's get some of the noobs voting :P .
04-20-2005 at 06:52 PM
b0rsuk
This poll is flawed - "Other (specify)" is one of 2 most popular choices.

The questions could be better. For example, there could be Folk instead of Country. Country is what passes for folk music in USA. You can't expect it to be very popular outside of USA, especially with that study showing that there's a link between Country music and suicides. (rewarded with IgNobel prize)

By the way, dividing music into genres is very artificial thing. You can't exactly say where one genre ends and another starts. The more precise you want to be (inventing more names for genres), the more ridiculous you are. And the harder it is to actually classify a piece as something .
I think the whole classifying idea is dumb. The only way that makes sense is "I like it/I don't like it".

I've seen an interesting site which had an interesting feature: you could specify a band's name, and it would show you on dynamically updated graph what other bands are popular among people who like the band you specified. Perfect solution.

But the feature was not very popular, and flooded with ads. I'd love to see a site devoted to just that.

04-20-2005 at 07:12 PM
Oneiromancer
b0rsuk wrote:
The questions could be better. For example, there could be Folk instead of Country. Country is what passes for folk music in USA.

Hmmm, I think you might not be clear on the definition of Folk music either. It's a dying genre...artists like Simon and Garfunkel, Joan Baez, and Bob Dylan could all be considered to be in this genre. The Indigo Girls did start out as a more "modern folk" group, and I believe achieved some small popularity in Europe, although they aren't so much in that genre anymore.

Anyway...there is a definite difference between Folk and Country.

Game on,

04-20-2005 at 07:20 PM
Chalks
Rank Points: 267
hmm...I voted for everything. including other: Barbershop!!!
04-20-2005 at 08:39 PM
MasterGiga
Rank Points: 67
Ah, other for me. I am more into instrumental (meaning no lyrics and vocals) and/or techno, really. I think you get what I'm saying. But I do listen to anything else on the radio as long as the tunes are catchy to me. I have to say, I've yet to hear any country that draws my attention...

:glasses

[Edited by MasterGiga at Local Time:04-22-2005 at 07:17 AM]

04-21-2005 at 04:24 AM
SbCl3
Rank Points: 61
Where's the option for "electronic"? thats mostly what I listen to.
04-22-2005 at 02:24 AM
Loser
Rank Points: 10
people still listen to classic music? im.. surprised.

04-22-2005 at 04:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Well, one of the ways to think of something "classic" is that it never goes out of style. ;)

Game on,

04-22-2005 at 04:40 PM
Wizerd
Rank Points: 12
Also the artists are very old so, it going out of style wouyld anger their spirits to attack us all! Imagine being killed by motzart. Or maybe Bach....

[Edited by Wizerd at Local Time:05-09-2005 at 12:51 AM]

05-09-2005 at 12:50 AM
b0rsuk
I've been thinking a bit about music.
Once upon a time I stumbled upon a website which used an interesting concept. You could submit a music group and it would display people with similar tastes.
The downside was that it was done in flash, slow, and full of ads.

Does anyone know similar sites ? I ask because it seems it's the only safe way to describe music. You either like it or you don't. I think categorizing music is dangerous, especially when it causes quarrels. It's very rare for me to even like entire/most albums, so in my opinion 'per-piece' rating is the right way to go.

01-26-2006 at 11:59 AM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Poll: What kind of music do you like? (What kind of music do you like?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com