Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DRogue (YAMod)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged

File: DRogue_mod.zip (21.2 KB)
Downloaded 186 times.
License: Other
icon DRogue (+3)  
So, I decided to join in on the modding craze, and see what DROD would look like if it were created in the glory day of ASCII games, like Rogue, Nethack, or Angband.

This mod is still in development - I didn't do any of the monsters and quite a bit of the terrain yet, but I think it's shaping up quite nicely. The only real problem is that it will be very difficult to play because: A - Transparency looked really weird so I gave it up, but that means that something is standing on something else (say, Beethro's sword on a trapdoor), you can't see the lower thing. And B - I don't think I'll be able to perserve directions for eyes.

Maybe once the mod is completed I'll have two versions - a "pure" one, and a playable one with transparency and some sort of eye direction indication.

I did have to use color, so this isn't really faithful to the real old-school games. I'm mostly borrowing Angband convetions for symbols.

Edit: The mod is complete!

[Edited by eytanz on 09-20-2004 at 08:30 PM GMT]

09-19-2004 at 04:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: DRogue (+1)  
Heehee. ASCII games are so good. I'd use a 7 for a NE arrow, though, it's a little more intuitive.

And ADOM used colour, as well as a handful of others, so it's not really breaking the rules to include them.

09-19-2004 at 04:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: DRogue (0)  
Good idea about the NE arrow. It'll also free up the T for tar mothers.

ADOM is a third-generation Roguelike, dating back to the mid ninties, as far as I know. Old-school roguelikes date back to pre-personal computer days and didn't use color.

09-19-2004 at 04:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
I think the problem with not including transparency is that if an arrow is down, you have no idea at all what it's covering. It could be open floor, a checkpoint, trapdoor, crumbly wall, or even pit. I think the best bet is to include color and transparency, or I fear it shall be unplayable. If not for arrows, though, I don't think you'd need transparency to pull this mod off.

09-19-2004 at 06:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
There's also a problem with monsters on trapdoors and open yellow doors; they won't make the game unplayable but they will make it very annoying.

Once I'm done with the tiles, I'll see if there's any way I can play with them to make transparency work. The main problem is that the traditional roguelike graphics for floor (.) and open doors (') are really small, so even with transparency, they can be easily obscured by other stuff. So there appears to be a tradeoff between looking authentic and playability - I'll see if I can find a decent balance, but if I can't I'd rather go with a style that looks good but is unplayable than vice versa, given that this is in any case a novelty mod intended as an homage and not really much more.

Note that in KDD, there are very few places where there would be a problem because arrows are rarely placed on anything other than open floor (in fact, are there any arrows on trapdoors in KDD?) So at worst, this style will only work with KDD.

09-19-2004 at 06:27 PM
DiMono
eytanz wrote:
are there any arrows on trapdoors in KDD?
Yep, there are a few on level 15

09-19-2004 at 06:37 PM
eytanz
Updated again with some monsters. Since I'm reserving the s's for serpents (lower case for body, capital for head), I've used A for spiders.

09-19-2004 at 07:57 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
So much modding....makes me want to cry :~( .

I wouold suggest just making the floors a solid color in order to get transparency to work. If you make it solid black, you should then be able to get all your transparency to work. As far as I know, the color it shows on transparency in-game is the solid tile used in the basic floor tile rhythm(Hope that made sense). If you still want to be able to keep the floor tiles "alternating" so you can see how close each object is, stick with small characters, such as , . ' ` .

I'm installing your version of DROD as we speak, and I'll see how it looks in-game. Once you get it all done, I'd also suggest changing GameScreen.bmp.

Wow, this is sounding WAY more critical than I want it to be. This is an awesome idea, and I can't wait to play it in-game!

09-19-2004 at 09:16 PM
eytanz
I know how to get transparency to work from a technical aspect. It's a matter of looking good.

As for the floors, they're all light grey "."s. I'm limited by the look of the games I'm trying to emulate. And as I said to DiMono, at least at this point, I'd rather match the look than maintain full playability.

09-19-2004 at 10:09 PM
Stuwy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
Wow, you beat me to it Eytan. Fantastic so far. The Nethack idea is pretty fun. However another style can be something that is if you were playing an Atari back in the early 70's.
09-20-2004 at 03:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
That'd be an interesting thing to see... Not quite my style, though. Especially since I never really had an Atari.

09-20-2004 at 03:43 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
Yeah, I think that would get interesting. DROD made up of Centipede features sounds like a nice idea, though Centipede doesn't have enough features to represent every single DROD feature...

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

09-20-2004 at 04:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Just remember to use a capital S for the head, and small s for the body, so we can tell the difference:
+%%%%+++++
+.........
+sssssS...
+s........
+s..ssssss
+ssss.....
++++++++++

09-20-2004 at 04:05 PM
eytanz
I just released a new version; it's possible to play through all of KDD level 1 with the new graphics now. Also, try out tar - it's a lot harder when you can't easily see where the corners are.

DiMono - that was my plan for the serpent, see above.

09-20-2004 at 04:39 PM
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
Cool! Hard to play...
09-20-2004 at 04:42 PM
eytanz
Ok - final update. Everything is now converted, and the mod works fine. Note that this version of the mod replaces all the style bitmaps, though they are all identical. It now is possible to play the entirety of KDD with ASCII graphics! - it's harder, as a lot of information is lost (lack of transparency, precise serpent and tar shape, and eye directionality are the major issues), but it should be possible to imagine DROD was released in 1985, and play it like this.

09-20-2004 at 09:33 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939

File: DROgueD.ico (3.2 KB)
Downloaded 73 times.
License: Other
I tip my hat to you, Eytan. You mod is kick-butt awesome! Admitadly, I wouldn't use it for any evil-eye levels, but it rocks for everything else! I'd love to see the next mod you do!

And if anyone cares, I made an icon as I do for every installation of DROD to tell them apart. Yes, it isn't very original, but I don't do much creativity seeing as I have....oh....about 6 different icons/installations. Maybe later I'll do something cool and creative.

09-21-2004 at 12:27 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DRogue (YAMod)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com