Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : AE styles look incorrectly in AE holds
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DezzTech
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 327
IP: Logged

File: kdd.png (12.8 KB)
Downloaded 94 times.
License: Public Domain
icon AE styles look incorrectly in AE holds (0)  
I've read somewhere that if I import AE holds into DROD 5 with AE Style Mod installed they will use these style. They sure do, but there is a small problem (see attached image).

The insides of the walls are filled with solid color, whereas they should look like hard walls to look more like how they did in AE. Also, I assume this is true for secret walls, but I haven't checked that yet.

06-25-2014 at 10:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwerulous
Rank Points: 340
icon Re: AE styles look incorrectly in AE holds (+1)  
I believe this is not a bug, but how the graphics actually are in the style file. It looked the same in 4.0 (and 3.0 probably).

I agree it looks strange though.
06-25-2014 at 11:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DezzTech
Rank Points: 327

File: AECheckpoints.png (1.1 KB)
Downloaded 59 times.
icon Re: AE styles look incorrectly in AE holds (+3)  
If that is so, maybe the styles themselves could be changed to fix this? If that is even possible of course.

EDIT: Also, I kinda don't like how the new red checkpoints look in the old AE styles, so here's a little something I made.

Put the attached file in the Bitmaps folder, then create a file named AECheckpoints.tim, and copy this into the file:

Then open the drod.ini and under the [Graphics] section paste this somewhere:

Cavern=Cavern;AECheckpoints
Cliffs=Cliffs;AECheckpoints
Slime=Slime;AECheckpoints
Voids AE=Voids AE;AECheckpoints
Ice=Ice;AECheckpoints
Lava=Lava;AECheckpoints
Palace=Palace;AECheckpoints
Catacombs=Catacombs;AECheckpoints
Sanctum=Sanctum;AECheckpoints

Aaaand now you have the AE checkpoints in AE styles! The attached image is based on the image from AE, that's okay to do, right?

By the way, I spent an inadequate amount of time drawing this. These are just 2 tiles with just 2 colors each, what the heck was I doing?!

[Last edited by DezzTech at 06-25-2014 02:24 PM]
06-25-2014 at 12:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
azb
Rank Points: 460
icon Re: AE styles look incorrectly in AE holds (+1)  
The walls from the original AE are actually classified as hard walls. Normal walls are different on the style mods.

06-25-2014 at 04:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 518

File: Example.png (6.6 KB)
Downloaded 88 times.
icon Re: AE styles look incorrectly in AE holds (+2)  
As one of the two who made that particular style mod (even though Jutt did the majority of work :p) I can say that using the solid color is purely intentional.

The problem lies in the way how DROD itself organises its drawing style. When you build, say, a 4 by 4 solid block of walls, it draws the outer walls as if it was a 4 by 4 ring of walls, filling up the "empty" center with the so called "solid wall pattern", which is a completely seperate image files.

So while you can change this "solid wall pattern" to a file that is composed wall tiles similar as the ones described in the main style images, you get minor but really annoying graphical inaccuracies.

EDIT: you can find a side-by-side comparison in the added file

I do have to admit that the single color choice isn't really optimal; to be honest, I simply didn't have the experience to attempt to create something better. Sorry for that :p

EDIT: that reminds me, in the original AE style mod thread, the first .zip file posted by Jutt contains the Wall images I used to generate that comparison. To use it yourself, just look for AExWall.png files, rename the AEx part to the correct style name as found in the DROD.ini files and place them in the bitmaps folder.

[Last edited by Timo006 at 06-25-2014 06:03 PM]
06-25-2014 at 05:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RabidChild
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: AE styles look incorrectly in AE holds (+4)  
Maybe it would make sense for walls in AE holds to be automatically converted to hard walls when imported into 5.0. After all, they were the only type of walls available in AE.
08-03-2014 at 04:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : AE styles look incorrectly in AE holds
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com