Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold: The Spire (Something to pass the time.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged

File: The Spire.hold (7.9 KB)
Downloaded 116 times.
License: Other
icon New Hold: The Spire (+2)  
This is not meant to be challenging, by any stretch of the imagination, it's just something small I started about an hour ago and now I'm too tired to continue working on it, and must go to bed. I figured I may as well get some feedback on what I have so far.

So here are the first four levels, plus a bonus fifth level. It's anyone-edit, and it's really meant more as a diversion than anything else. Please feel free to play it and tell me what you think.

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:09-25-2004 at 04:46 AM: New version of hold attached]

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:09-25-2004 at 05:45 PM: Another new version of the hold attached. Fixed some stuff, edited level 6]

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:09-25-2004 at 06:40 PM: Fixed one of the fixes]

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:09-25-2004 at 08:22 PM: Levels 7 and 8 are up]

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:09-25-2004 at 09:00 PM: Added a checkpoint to level 8's exit, and fixed some scrolls in the warp room]

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:09-25-2004 at 09:37 PM: Checkpoints and scrolls again]

09-19-2004 at 06:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
icon Re: New Hold: The Spire (0)  
I'm halfway through making level 5 right now, does anyone have any feedback on the first four levels? Trivial solutions, just not fun, etc?

09-24-2004 at 04:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Well, what I've seen so far is fun, but it's too linear - if you get stuck, you have no choice but abandon the hold. Which means I started other holds, and didn't get back to this one yet.

09-24-2004 at 06:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Fun enough. It wasn't too hard. I found the first room the hardest actually. Didn't find any trivial solutions that I can think of.

I deleted the hold after I finished so if you post a new one can you put in a warp room?
09-24-2004 at 07:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Scott wrote I deleted the hold after I finished so if you post a new one can you put in a warp room?

It's anyone edit. You can add the warproom yourself...

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:09-24-2004 at 02:28 PM]
09-24-2004 at 02:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Click here to view the secret text

09-24-2004 at 02:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
eytanz wrote:

09-24-2004 at 05:00 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460

File: click.JPG (1.6 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
License: Public Domain
DiMono wrote:
eytanz wrote:

I liked it. I found L2:1N1E the trickiest, but I'm probably better at snake-herding now. L1:1N1W makes me feel self-conscious. L1:1W was too easy, I thought.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 10-07-2008 11:53 PM]
09-25-2004 at 03:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Well, I had some more inspiration, so I've attached a new version of the hold to the top of the thread. Two more levels, and since you asked so nicely there's a warp room in there somewhere too. It's still anyone-edit though, so if you don't feel like using the W.R. you can always just play it in there. I also de-linearized most of the levels, by popular request.

09-25-2004 at 04:48 AM
Sim
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 90
I've downloaded the new version and I'm at L6 Entrance now. I've done the other rooms in the level but I can't get the entrance, and I can't see any hidden exits. I've tried entering from both directions (level start and east room) but I can't do it. Am I missing something?

Anyway, about the rooms so far:

A really fun hold. It's great to have something that's not so taxing once in a while. I'll try to add more comments as you build more, if you don't mind.
09-25-2004 at 04:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Sim, my comments on your comments:
Sim wrote:
As for Level 6 Entrance, no you're not missing anything, that's just the goblin behaving as he's supposed to instead of how I'd like him to. The room's been modified for the newer version, which has been attached to the top of the thread. I also made the exit of level 6 a little more interesting. Thanks for all your feedback!

And the lesson I've learned is to remember checkpoints the first time around.

Edit: Turns out dropping the other Tar Mothers makes that room impossible... well, I can't do it anyway, and I'm pretty good at tar rooms. So, they're back in, and another version of the hold is up.

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:09-25-2004 at 06:41 PM]

09-25-2004 at 05:44 PM
eytanz
Level 5 Entrance:

09-25-2004 at 06:40 PM
DiMono
eytanz wrote:
Level 5 Entrance:
Yep. It was originally a hint of things to come, as I was intending to have a mimic-navigated trapdoor maze, but now it's just there as a timesaver, since the two sides of the room are identical anyway.

09-25-2004 at 06:42 PM
eytanz
Level 6:

09-25-2004 at 06:51 PM
DiMono
eytanz wrote:
Level 6:
Look for a new version in about thirty seconds, with levels 7 and 8 added. I'm not entirely satisfied with L8-1N1W, but it took a surprisingly long time to get level 7 working the way I want it to. Oh, and despite what the warp room says, there will be a level 9 to cap off the hold.

09-25-2004 at 08:21 PM
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
So, form being something you couldnt really be bothered to finish, its turned into a good play! Sounds a bit like the story of DROD,
09-25-2004 at 08:35 PM
eytanz
DiMono wrote:
eytanz wrote:
Level 6:
(take a look at the room's layout. Is there another way to solve it? :) )

09-25-2004 at 08:38 PM
DiMono
*sigh* I don't think I've ever updated a hold so frequently as this one. I think I'm going to let it just sit there until next week some time, so I can get feedback on levels 7 and 8. Anyway, the scrolls in the warp room are now correct, and there's a checkpoint in the middle of the last room on level 8.

09-25-2004 at 09:02 PM
eytanz
Well, I didn't play the new version - but if all the changes are checkpoints (side note - there really needs to be one in the tar efficiency room), it doesn't really matter.

I found level 7 difficult and a bit annoying. It was harder to figure out the layout of the room than worry about the spiders, since I just waited for them to blink before moving if I was unsure.

I don't understand why level 8 includes 3 empty rooms which basically amount to leading Beethro around in circles. The final room, however, is fun.

Overall, it seems that this hold gets easier as it goes along - level 7 is an exception, but the early levels are far harder than levels 5, 6, or 8.

09-25-2004 at 09:10 PM
DiMono
Weird, I could have sworn I did add a checkpoint to that room. Well, now it has three.

And level 8 is that way temporarily. I haven't decided what to fill the first three rooms with yet, but I knew what the last room was going to look like, so for now the level is a path to the exit.

09-25-2004 at 09:38 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
I've just picked up the hold, and it's an interesting diversion, although as previously stated, not very difficult.

Here are my comments on it:

Overall, quite a nice time-filler, although perhaps one or two more rooms could be made a bit more challenging.

09-26-2004 at 12:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
agaricus5 wrote:
All kinds of stuff
In all honesty, it's not really meant to be a challenging hold, just something entertaining to pass some time. I agree that the mopup in level 8 1N is too tedious, though in defense of level 7, you can see where everything is before the room starts; the challenging part is remembering where they've moved, as is indicated by the level description. Actually, it took quite a bit of time to get that level just right.

Thank you for your feedback :)

09-26-2004 at 01:56 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460

File: point.JPG (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
License: Public Domain

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 10-07-2008 11:53 PM]
09-26-2004 at 02:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sim
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 90
Some more comments:

09-26-2004 at 10:12 AM
DiMono
Sim wrote:

09-26-2004 at 10:30 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold: The Spire (Something to pass the time.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com