Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : One-Upsmanship (..but nobody can get SAD in summer!)
Page 5 of 13
6789>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nillo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
IP: Logged
icon Re: One-Upsmanship (0)  
But I'd rather have a tasty piece of pie.

Pie is good. Mmm, pie.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
10-04-2004 at 07:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: One-Upsmanship (+1)  
But the whole of pi is infinitely long.

yes, I know it's bad... shoot me now somebody...

"Oook!"
10-04-2004 at 07:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
But 3.15 is larger than pi.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
10-04-2004 at 07:05 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
But it's much more fun to impress people by memorizing 3.1415926535897932384626433832799502884197169399.

I don't know why I never have forgotten that.

[Edited by The_Red_Hawk at Local Time:10-04-2004 at 07:41 PM]

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
10-04-2004 at 07:15 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
But it's not so impressive if someone realizes some of the digits are wrong.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-04-2004 at 07:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
But DROD is impressive ;)

This might be a dead end... what is better than DROD?

[Edited by Nillo at Local Time:10-04-2004 at 07:31 PM]

10-04-2004 at 07:30 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
mrimer wrote:
But it's not so impressive if someone realizes some of the digits are wrong.
Gah, you stole mine...

But e is even longer!

10-04-2004 at 07:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Oops - I don't know why, but every time I write it, it doesn't work. It's fine when I'm saying it out loud. :(

10-04-2004 at 07:42 PM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
But e, i, and pi together can accomplish more.

e^(i*pi)+1=0

++Adam H. Peterson
10-04-2004 at 10:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
But O is wider than 0

10-04-2004 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
But "O" (or any other circle we can draw) is just an approximation of the true circle.

10-04-2004 at 11:22 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
But a compass(Mathamatical one, BTW) dan draw a perfect circle.

10-05-2004 at 12:56 AM
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
But a clock can have more hands :lol

10-05-2004 at 01:05 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
But a compass(Mathamatical one, BTW) dan draw a perfect circle.

Really? I'll bet you anything that it can't. :)

No physical instrument can draw/detect a perfect circle - it has an infinitely smooth curve.

Oops. Someone got one in first.

Edit:

But a clock's rate of time measurement (and time itself) is affected by gravity.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:10-05-2004 at 01:09 AM]

10-05-2004 at 01:07 AM
The_Red_Hawk
But gravity is affected by:

1. Distance from the object.
2. Rate of acceleration/deceleration.
3. The fluid it's immersed in.
4. The mass of the object.

10-05-2004 at 01:39 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
But (some types of) astrology are affected by the phase of the moon.

10-05-2004 at 02:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
The_Red_Hawk wrote:

1. Distance from the object.

True. The gravitational force between two objects is a function of the distance between them. F = GmM/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m is the mass of the object we are looking at, M is the mass of the object "supplying" the gravity, and r is the distance between them. Since F = ma (force = mass times acceleration, Newton's 3rd Law I think), we typically definte g = GM/r^2 as the "gravitational acceleration".

2. Rate of acceleration/deceleration.

False. Gravity is an acceleration. The force of gravity on an object is that object's mass multiplied by the gravitational acceleration on it. If there are other forces acting on the object, then the total acceleration will not be just due to gravity. But the gravitational force itself is not affected.

I suppose you might be able to make some argument about an object exerting a gravitational force while it is accelerating away from you...but that does not seem to be what you are saying.

3. The fluid it's immersed in.

False. An object immersed in a liquid feels the exact same force of gravity than one not immersed in the liquid. It's just that in the liquid, there are buoyant forces which act to "slow" the object's rate of descent. It's the same as air resistance, the force of gravity is the same, but another force is added in the opposite direction. So the total force is different, as well as the total acceleration...but gravity is unaffected.

4. The mass of the object.

Could be true or false, depending on what object you are referring to. The gravitational acceleration that the Earth imparts on us does depend on the mass of the Earth, but it doesn't depend on our mass. The force that is applied to us, though, does depend on our masses. (See the equations in #1.) This is why objects fall at the exact same speed no matter how much their mass is (since their acceleration is exactly the same, that due to gravity), but if they were to hit something the more massive object would do much more damage (since the force the object would exert would depend on the mass of the object).

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-05-2004 at 02:15 AM
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
But my time machine means I can go back in time and post this again!

10-05-2004 at 01:07 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
But a coffee machine is essential in getting me up in the morning.

(Not really, by the way, I rarely drink coffee. But I know a lot of people for which the above statement is true)

[Edited by eytanz at Local Time:10-05-2004 at 01:23 PM]

10-05-2004 at 01:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
But a coffee machine won't work without electricity.

10-05-2004 at 01:52 PM
masonjason
Rank Points: 349
But the strong nuclear force is stronger than electricity.

10-05-2004 at 02:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
2 and 3 are true, according to the science textbook which I looked it up in.

10-05-2004 at 02:39 PM
wackhead_uk
icon Re: One-Upsmanship (+2)  
but 0 is false according to Binary
10-05-2004 at 03:17 PM
Oneiromancer
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
2 and 3 are true, according to the science textbook which I looked it up in.

Either the book is wrong, or your interpretation of what the book says is wrong.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-05-2004 at 04:31 PM
The_Red_Hawk
It's not that gravity itself is changed - it's that the amount gravity affects the object is changed.

10-05-2004 at 05:14 PM
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
It's not that gravity itself is changed - it's that the amount gravity affects the object is changed.
No, gravity still affects it the same amount, othere forces are just counter-acting some of it. That wasn't what you said in your first post anyway.
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
10-05-2004 at 05:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
You don't understand, Hawk...gravity itself doesn't change like that. It's the sum of all the forces on an object that determines how it moves. When an object is immersed in a liquid, that liquid exerts its own forces on that object. So it "seems" like gravity is slowed down, but that's just because of inaccurate understanding of what gravity really is.

Game on,

10-05-2004 at 05:47 PM
wackhead_uk
But this is turning more confusing than a physics lesson!

And gravity is a force. That's all I'm saying.
10-05-2004 at 07:22 PM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
But you can do more things with the Force than with gravity.

10-05-2004 at 07:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
But you can do even more things with electrostatics!
10-05-2004 at 08:11 PM
Page 5 of 13
6789>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : One-Upsmanship (..but nobody can get SAD in summer!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com